•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recruiting Eclipse Ambassadors

Eclipse Moon Outreach Solar
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 astronomom

astronomom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2022 - 11:40 AM

Calling all eclipse enthusiasts!

Eclipse Ambassadors Off the Paths is recruiting amateur astronomers to partner with and mentor undergraduates as you prepare your community together for the 2023 and 2024 eclipses. Most of the country will experience 2 partial eclipses over the next 2 years. Share our hobby with a local college student and help your community experience the awe of our place in space.

Program basics:

• Apply and get matched with a partner (or identify your own!)
  • Take a short course on eclipse outreach together and get loads of glasses and outreach materials 
  • Engage your community, especially underserved audiences

Note: There is no commitment on eclipse days! This engagement is designed to prepare communities in advance.

Did I mention an official NASA Partner Eclipse Ambassador Badge!?

Find out more and apply here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Partnerships will start in November and workshops are ongoing beginning in January 2023. The goal is to prepare 500 communities across the US, so We Need You!

Share this with anyone who may be interested: www.eclipseambassadors.org

Feel free to reach out with questions: eainfo@astrosociety.org

~Vivian

Astronomical Society of the Pacific

Night Sky Network

Eclipse Ambassadors

• Nicole Sharp and sdcinvan like this

#2 sdcinvan

sdcinvan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 02 August 2023 - 02:26 PM

Greetings Vivian, 

Is it too late to join?

I've been absolutely swamped with non-astronomy obligations lately and I completely forgot about this worthy project until now. frown.gif

I was a part of several outreach programs during the 2017 solar eclipse, such as the Eclipse Megamovie Project. I contributed about 30 images to that project and the best part was that I had an amazing experience educating people about the mechanics of eclipses and astronomy in general. The hat really helped people recognize me as someone they could approach. :) 

I was very grateful to be part of that citizen scientist project, and I would love to be part of this latest project.

Attached Thumbnails

• MegaMovie hat.jpg
  • Telescope.jpg
  • Eclipse.jpg

#3 astronomom

astronomom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2023 - 05:38 PM

Hey - I recognize that face! Glad you’re ready for another fun eclipse. 

You’re not too late at all. Thanks for asking! We’re recruiting likely through the end of the year. But the sooner you apply, the sooner we’ll get you partnered. It’s been so great seeing what the partners are up to! So many great connections already. 

See if there’s an Ambassador near you looking for a partner on our Eclipse Ambassador Map.
If not, we’ll help to get you partnered. We’re only about halfway to our goal of 500 partnerships, so please help us spread the word too.

Forward this to anyone you think may enjoy it - eclipse enthusiasts and undergraduates welcome. Thanks, friends! 

Become a NASA Partner Eclipse Ambassador
In October 2023 and April 2024, two solar eclipses will be cris-crossing the US. In an exciting NASA partnership, undergraduate students and eclipse enthusiasts will partner to engage their local communities in advance of the eclipses to enjoy the awe and wonder of this unique alignment. Eclipse Ambassadors will bring outreach programs to underserved audiences in local libraries, colleges, schools, and other community organizations. Training, partnerships, and resources are provided and all engagement can be done before the eclipses - there's no commitment when the shadows arrive. Undergraduates will also receive a stipend, plus opportunities to further their involvement in NASA programs.

Apply today! www.eclipseambassadors.org

Find someone near you on our Eclipse Ambassador Map

• sdcinvan likes this

#4 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Soyuz

• Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 02:26 AM

Eclipse Ambassadors Off the Paths is recruiting amateur astronomers to partner with and mentor undergraduates as you prepare your community together for the 2023 and 2024 eclipses. Most of the country will experience 2 partial eclipses over the next 2 years. Share our hobby with a local college student and help your community experience the awe of our place in space.

Program basics:

• Take a short course on eclipse outreach together and get loads of glasses and outreach materials 

Note: There is no commitment on eclipse days! This engagement is designed to prepare communities in advance.

Find out more and apply here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Partnerships will start in November and workshops are ongoing beginning in January 2023. The goal is to prepare 500 communities across the US, so We Need You!

~Vivian

Night Sky Network

Eclipse Ambassadors

I have been so busy getting ready to travel across the country for the eclipse that I missed this post.  I submitted my application but obviously it is less than 3 weeks now from the October 2023 Annular Solar Eclipse.

If the application isn't processed in time but you know anyone who needs an informal eclipse ambassador, I am happy to help.

I plan to be bringing two Solar telescopes, plus Solar binoculars and extra eclipse glasses across the country from Maryland to New Mexico.  Anyone who wants to see the eclipse is welcome to join me.

I did something similar for the November 2019 Mercury Transit of Sol and was awarded the NASA Observing Challenge Special Award for my outreach efforts in 2019.  I had two Solar telescopes set up then and it was nice but I have even better equipment available now.

Part of the problem is that my local astronomy club is not part of the NASA Night Sky Network so we don't get notices like these unless they are posted to Cloudy Nights.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 04 October 2023 - 02:28 AM.

#5 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Soyuz

• Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 02:38 AM

Program basics:

~Vivian

Night Sky Network

Eclipse Ambassadors

Hey - I recognize that face! Glad you’re ready for another fun eclipse. 

You’re not too late at all. Thanks for asking! We’re recruiting likely through the end of the year. But the sooner you apply, the sooner we’ll get you partnered. It’s been so great seeing what the partners are up to! So many great connections already. 

See if there’s an Ambassador near you looking for a partner on our Eclipse Ambassador Map.
If not, we’ll help to get you partnered. We’re only about halfway to our goal of 500 partnerships, so please help us spread the word too.

Forward this to anyone you think may enjoy it - eclipse enthusiasts and undergraduates welcome. Thanks, friends! 

Become a NASA Partner Eclipse Ambassador
In October 2023 and April 2024, two solar eclipses will be cris-crossing the US. In an exciting NASA partnership, undergraduate students and eclipse enthusiasts will partner to engage their local communities in advance of the eclipses to enjoy the awe and wonder of this unique alignment. Eclipse Ambassadors will bring outreach programs to underserved audiences in local libraries, colleges, schools, and other community organizations. Training, partnerships, and resources are provided and all engagement can be done before the eclipses - there's no commitment when the shadows arrive. Undergraduates will also receive a stipend, plus opportunities to further their involvement in NASA programs.

Apply today! www.eclipseambassadors.org

Find someone near you on our Eclipse Ambassador Map

Very interesting map.  Are the blue dots people who are still looking for eclipse ambassadors?  I can cover the travel costs for at least one passenger who may want to travel from Maryland to New Mexico to see the Annular Solar Eclipse with a 5-inch Solar telescope but they will need to provide their own food/drink and lodging.  Obviously they have to be trustworthy though which is difficult to assess.  The trip will be a lot safer and easier if I didn't have to travel across the country by myself.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eclipse, Moon, Outreach, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics