•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meteorite "may" have burned down a house

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 07 November 2022 - 11:50 PM

https://www.nbcnews....-home-rcna56034

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 November 2022 - 12:30 AM

Interesting and not impossible. But unless a confirmed meteorite is found and identified right there in the ashes... then it's simply not true.    Tom

• lee14, mdowns, Dartguy and 1 other like this

#3 Masonry00

Masonry00

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Glacier, WA USA

Posted 08 November 2022 - 12:31 AM

It's odd that he wasn't looking for the meteorite that likely struck his porch. It could be worth more than his house before it burned down!

• SoCalPaul and TOMDEY like this

#4 jlinsobe

jlinsobe

Viking 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 08 November 2022 - 01:09 AM

I would use my geiger counter before I’d venture near that stuff.

But who knows, maybe that meteorite core has some valuable elements. Diamond or exotic granite.  Ebay buyers are unpredictable.  Or Sotheby’s ….

Thank God people were spared.   Poor doggie.  But it must have been quasi-instantaneous, 

It didn't suffer.  

Hopefully he can build another house soon.   

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2022 - 07:11 AM

This was my house sixteen years ago. But alas, it wasn't a meteorite; we burned it down on purpose.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 118 20061002 Tom's HOUSE BURN 4.jpg

• JohnnyMac, Masonry00 and firemachine69 like this

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:33 PM

One of two things happened : insurance scam or meth lab accident.

There's no way that was a meteorite. You have a higher chance of winning the Powerball lottery than a meteorite hitting your house. Furthermore, the odds increase if the unlikely impact hits a gas line, propane tank, or something else in the house that would cause a fire.

Stories like this surface from time to time. News organizations lack proper fact-checking for stories like this and they just run with the click-bait story anyway.

Edited by Glassthrower, 08 November 2022 - 03:34 PM.

• David Knisely, SabiaJD, lee14 and 2 others like this

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2022 - 06:00 PM

Yep --- even if ~unknown origin~ there are hundreds or thousands of far more common mundane causes that would explain "loud bang and I found the house burning". I had worked (contributed to / supported) forensics for Sam and Programs "anamolays" and my son does Hazmat for the Fire Department (he's a chemist and firefighter). The press and public are insanely inclined to opt for spectacular (and therefore interesting) explanations and ignore the myriad meh ones. Watching too many disaster movies, I guess.

Yet... I must admit... When I go out to enjoy a meteor shower or storm. I bring a comfortable reclining chair, maybe a camera, thermos of cocoa... and a baseball glove... "just in case". And there I sit... like Linus awaiting arrival of the Great Pumpkin on Halloween eve.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 04 linus awaits the great pumpkin.jpg
  • 05 doomsday dinosaurs.jpg

• Glassthrower, lee14 and mark8888 like this

#8 Chad7531

Chad7531

Vanguard

• Loc: Defiance, OH

Posted 08 November 2022 - 06:23 PM

One of two things happened : insurance scam or meth lab accident.

There's no way that was a meteorite. You have a higher chance of winning the Powerball lottery than a meteorite hitting your house. Furthermore, the odds increase if the unlikely impact hits a gas line, propane tank, or something else in the house that would cause a fire.

Stories like this surface from time to time. News organizations lack proper fact-checking for stories like this and they just run with the click-bait story anyway.

People win the powerball all the time.
  • Glassthrower and Masonry00 like this

#9 mark8888

mark8888

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 November 2022 - 04:37 AM

The chatter amongst the experts in the meteorite community is that this is impossible, there's no way the fire was caused by a space rock.  Not least because the location is way off, it didn't fall there if it fell at all.

• David Knisely, SabiaJD and lee14 like this

#10 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 12 November 2022 - 01:03 PM

People win the powerball all the time.

There have been 400 grand prize winners in 30 years. Considering how many tickets are sold, I wouldn't describe that as "all the time".

That is about 13 winners per year out of 52 weekly drawings. According to official statistics, approx. 45 billion tickets per year are sold.

Your odds are being struck by lightning are multiple times greater than winning the powerball grand prize or having your house burned down by a meteorite. Truly astronomical odds.

#11 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 12 November 2022 - 03:34 PM

With hoping on odds like that... one could strongly assert that you should also immediately call 911 now... to rush you to the hospital for the heart attack you might suffer an hour from now.    Tom

#12 ButterFly

ButterFly

Skylab

Posted 13 November 2022 - 05:29 PM

No fireball reports match the approximate time.  I'd check for whether little Johnny is missing a baseball, and a few matches.  If it looks like a flaming baseball ... .

This report's funny:

"It was coming right at me!"

"Yes; yes it was."

#13 StarBurger

StarBurger

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 13 November 2022 - 05:54 PM

The physics of this just don't add up to be believable.

Meteorites of a certain small size arrive on the earths surface "quietly" and daily. They arrive at a terminal velocity determined by laws of falling bodies and air resistance.

BIG meteorites arrive ( e.g.) like the Whinchomb meteor in the UK and survive to the ground. 

They don't arrive fiery hot and incendiary after a along passage through the air.

A meteorite blowing up someone's house is not credible.

• lee14 likes this

#14 ButterFly

ButterFly

Skylab

Posted 13 November 2022 - 06:03 PM

They don't arrive fiery hot and incendiary after a along passage through the air.

They sure can:

320px-Barringer_Crater_aerial_photo_by_U

That the whole neighbor failed to burn down, and still exists, suggests that this didn't happen in this case.

#15 StarBurger

StarBurger

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 13 November 2022 - 06:27 PM

Aw cummon! The Barringer Meteorite Crater (which I have visited) is completely different.

It was a massive impact some 70,000 years ago, and I have pieces of it. It was a completely different type of event.

Sure it must have been very "fiery" at the time and may have burned some herds of buffalo but a modern, much smaller event could not be expected to target a house of dubious occupants with impaired capacities.

#16 ButterFly

ButterFly

Skylab

Posted 13 November 2022 - 06:49 PM

Aw cummon! The Barringer Meteorite Crater (which I have visited) is completely different.

It was a massive impact some 70,000 years ago, and I have pieces of it. It was a completely different type of event.

Sure it must have been very "fiery" at the time and may have burned some herds of buffalo but a modern, much smaller event could not be expected to target a house of dubious occupants with impaired capacities.

Yes, exactly.  If an impact burned down a house, it also burned down an entire neighborhood.  Here, the entire neighborhood did not burn down, so an impact likely didn't burn down a single house.

#17 PYeomans

PYeomans

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: God's Country and immediate vicinity-Great Smoky mountains

Posted 15 November 2022 - 03:40 PM

Well the official word is out, not a meteorite but not apparently arson either. 

#18 JohnH

JohnH

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 22 November 2022 - 09:36 AM

I would use my geiger counter before I’d venture near that stuff.
But who knows, maybe that meteorite core has some valuable elements. Diamond or exotic granite. Ebay buyers are unpredictable. Or Sotheby’s ….

Thank God people were spared. Poor doggie. But it must have been quasi-instantaneous,
It didn't suffer.

Hopefully he can build another house soon.

Granite, with all its oxygen-containing silicates, will never be present in meteorites.

#19 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:12 PM

Here is an 8:41minute youtube video by Scott Manley pointing out why, "no, a meteorite did not burn down a house."

Yes, it could have been a 30 or 90 second video.

I like Scott Manley, but as a colorful real person, as opposed to a corporate drone, some people do not. So you are warned.

"If I had more time I would have written you a shorter letter posting." Original by Winston Churchill

https://www.youtube....h?v=8vmOngK18xg

#20 Burningbush

Burningbush

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:46 AM

Interesting and not impossible. But unless a confirmed meteorite is found and identified right there in the ashes... then it's simply not true.    Tom

This is what a fireball impacting  uplifted bedrock with some high and dry river sediments looks like.......

I am glad to see there is a remnant of reasonable minds still with us today. Most are quick to cite the "dark flight theory" in an attempt to substantiate their fallacious arguments against every mention of either someone picking up a hot meteorite or reports of someone claiming to have seen a low altitude fireball land nearby. Based off the opposition, I'm starting to believe I might be the first person to recover a meteorite with forensic evidence fused over it's fusion crust that proves it was a fireball as it impacted earths desert landscape. Furthermore I'm starting to believe I'm the first person to recover a fireball I personally seen come to rest under a tree 20-25 yards away while fishing with my grampa and uncle during a "dark night," about 23 years ago. Iv contacted about 7 scientific organizations I have been unsuccessful thus far to introduce it to universities, natural history museums and even some NASA employees, too many unreasonable minds plague the science perhaps.

This is what a fireball impacting  uplifted bedrock with a little high and dry river sediment looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

• Compress_20221130_082802_2007.jpg
  • Compress_20221130_082802_2615.jpg
  • Compress_20221130_082800_0464.jpg

#21 Burningbush

Burningbush

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:55 AM

Ths is what a fireball impacting  uplifted bedrock with some high and dry river sediments looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

• Compress_20221130_082801_1806.jpg
  • Compress_20221130_082801_1584.jpg
  • Compress_20221130_082801_1379.jpg
  • Compress_20221130_082659_9894.jpg

#22 Burningbush

Burningbush

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:01 PM

This is what a fireball impacting  uplifted bedrock with a little dry river sediment looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

• Compress_20221130_082802_2350.jpg
  • Compress_20221130_081759_9475.jpg

#23 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:56 PM

This is what a fireball impacting  uplifted bedrock with some high and dry river sediments looks like.......

I am glad to see there is a remnant of reasonable minds still with us today. Most are quick to cite the "dark flight theory" in an attempt to substantiate their fallacious arguments against every mention of either someone picking up a hot meteorite or reports of someone claiming to have seen a low altitude fireball land nearby. Based off the opposition, I'm starting to believe I might be the first person to recover a meteorite with forensic evidence fused over it's fusion crust that proves it was a fireball as it impacted earths desert landscape. Furthermore I'm starting to believe I'm the first person to recover a fireball I personally seen come to rest under a tree 20-25 yards away while fishing with my grampa and uncle during a "dark night," about 23 years ago. Iv contacted about 7 scientific organizations I have been unsuccessful thus far to introduce it to universities, natural history museums and even some NASA employees, too many unreasonable minds plague the science perhaps.

This is what a fireball impacting  uplifted bedrock with a little high and dry river sediment looks like.

Greetings, Burningbush, and welcome to Cloudy Nights! By all means contact the International Meteorite Collectors Association. I'm sure they will be able to put you in contact with someone certified to forensically certify or deny your find as a meteorite. The thing is... nearly all submitted "discoveries" turn out to be ~other~ rocks that just superficially look something like true meteorites. Thankfully, they can tell the difference. The proper certification is most of the value; without that... it remains just a rock, and worth what an equivalent brick or cinder block would fetch. I have a complete file folder on my Campo shown here. The cert takes it from "I claim it's a meteorite" to "It is a meteorite". --- big difference.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 15 Toms 39 lb campo.jpg
  • 16 Toms 39-lb Campo.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 30 November 2022 - 08:06 PM.

• lee14 and mdowns like this

#24 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:57 PM

Tom's Campo Certificate (complete forensics on file) >

Attached Thumbnails

• 17 50 Tom's Campo Meteorite certificate.jpg

• mdowns likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics