•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Setting up local WiFi at a remote site?

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 astrokeith

astrokeith

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 09 November 2022 - 04:46 PM

I use a TP-Link Archer MR400 AC1200 Dual Band 4G Mobile Wi-Fi

Its mains or 12V, plus haas an unlocked SIM card slot. If I'm away for a while I buy a preloaded data SIM card and get 'internet' access, but it works just fine as an intranet. No setting up required.

Edited by astrokeith, 09 November 2022 - 04:47 PM.

• Jim Waters and DanMiller like this

#27 hyiger

hyiger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 09 November 2022 - 04:53 PM

With a phone or tablet a wifi travel router will work. If laptop to PC then I find point-to-point (routerless) is easier. If taking the latter approach, on one of them you need to install a DCHP server. For example, on my Beelink I have a DCHP service running with this package: DHCP Server for Windows A 50 ft ethernet cable is connected directly from the Beelink ethernet port to the ethernet port on my laptop. I then just simply use Remote Desktop to connect to the remote computer. When I get some time I'll write up some detailed instructions. 

I've tried remote desktop with my iPad. The screen is too small and it's kind of cumbersome without a mouse. 

Edited by hyiger, 09 November 2022 - 04:59 PM.

#28 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 09 November 2022 - 05:03 PM

With a phone or tablet a wifi travel router will work. If laptop to PC then I find point-to-point (routerless) is easier. If taking the latter approach, on one of them you need to install a DCHP server. For example, on my Beelink I have a DCHP service running with this package: DHCP Server for Windows A 50 ft ethernet cable is connected directly from the Beelink ethernet port to the ethernet port on my laptop. I then just simply use Remote Desktop to connect to the remote computer. When I get some time I'll write up some detailed instructions. 

I've tried remote desktop with my iPad. The screen is too small and it's kind of cumbersome without a mouse. 

Interested to see this.  I know what dhcp server is, but never heard of it used this way.  Thats pretty cool, can't wait to see your write up. This is no lie. I don't have an ethernet port on either of my laptops. I would have to get a usb to ethernet adapter(I think I have seen them). 

as a side not here.  50 foot ethernet cable is dirt cheap.

Edited by DanMiller, 09 November 2022 - 05:06 PM.

#29 hyiger

hyiger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2022 - 05:09 PM

Interested to see this.  I know what dhcp server is, but never heard of it used this way.  Thats pretty cool, can't wait to see your write up. This is no lie. I don't have an ethernet port on either of my laptops. I would have to get a usb to ethernet adapter(I think I have seen them). 

My laptop is a Macbook Pro so I'm just using a generic USB-C to Ethernet dongle. They are easy to find and cheap. You can pick one up on Amazon for $15. If I'm not too burned out from work I may try to write up something tonight. 

• DanMiller likes this

#30 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 09 November 2022 - 06:53 PM

What routers are you using?

I'm not using anything special.

I think that I have this one that I use away from home.  And I have an older variant of this one that I use at home.

Really, just about any WiFi router will work, even using the default configuration (they don't require an internet connection).  The main thing is to make sure that you can power it easily.  I picked routers that run on 12v.  Routers that run on 5v will work, too.  You can power them from a USB port.

• CCD-Freak, psandelle and DanMiller like this

#31 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 09 November 2022 - 10:37 PM

I sometimes image at a remote site with no access to WiFi and limited smartphone reception. I want to setup a local WiFi network so I can RDP into my imaging computer and control my setup from my tablet or Smartphone. What's the best way to setup a local WiFi? What are my options?

I use a travel router setup in extender mode. Basically everything is Ethernet to it (mount and mini computer). The extended is set to my home network. If it doesn’t get it, that’s ok. It doesn’t care. When I’m out I connect to the travel router ssid and then rdp/vnc to the mini pc. If it has internet from my home that’s cool, if not I change my phone hotspot to that ssid and use that. Or Starlink.

#32 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 09 November 2022 - 11:51 PM

I did some testing with this a few years ago.

This was largely true a few years ago but I think just about all of them work in Windows 10 (or newer). I'll admit I'm still using my old Windows 7 Dell (with Intel WiFi) for mount and camera control so the machines are 10 or more years old. Every Windows 10 machine I've tried has worked without issues in my 'business' life.

There's nothing wrong with using another router and a lot of them are 12V. The range will be much better anyway at the cost of a little more battery use.

Dan

#33 hyiger

hyiger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2022 - 08:08 PM

as a side not here.  50 foot ethernet cable is dirt cheap.

Here is the first draft of my writeup: Connecting a laptop to a mini-computer over direct ethernet 

#34 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 13 November 2022 - 08:36 PM

Thanks hyiger

#35 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

OPT/Amazon Affiliate

• Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: California

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:06 PM

I am coming to the conversation late, but will add that I have been using a small travel router from GL.iNET for the last 2+ years to remote into my mini-pc from my laptop (can also did it from my iPhone or and iPad) without any trouble.  In tests at home I demonstrated that I can connect up to 100ft from inside my RV.  I did a whole video on how to do this step by step.  I will also point out that the router can be configured as a repeater which I do at home using my home network to connect the the mini-pc via the GL.iNET from anywhere in my house out to the backyard observatory.  Here is the link to the video which explains everything  https://www.youtube....h?v=quoWbvN5VWc  Hopefully this helps explain at least one way to do it as there clearly are other ways.  Pick what works best for you.

Regards,

Curtis

Edit:  It is nice to be able to sit inside my RV and remote in to the scope, but I have to remind myself that one of the great things about going to a dark site is to actually see the night sky with my own eyes.  So, I make sure that I spend some time each night enjoying the view as well.

Edited by CA Curtis 17, 15 November 2022 - 10:08 PM.

• Jim Waters and CCD-Freak like this

#36 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Curtis.

#37 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 20 November 2022 - 05:04 PM

I picked up a router and a switch at the local thrift store for $5 each.  I use the router with the default settings and just plug in the Ethernet cable from the mini PC in one of the ports.  I then connect to the WiFi with my laptop from my travel trailer which is typically about 60 feet away from the scope when I am out at my dark site.   Works great.

At Okie-Tex this year I tried the WiFi but it was slow and had pauses because there were so many WiFi networks causing contention problems. Once I plugged in direct using the Ethernet Switch and a 100 ft Cat6 cable I had no more problems with the Remote Desktop connection. The old router and switch are only 100 MB but that is plenty fast for Remote Desktop. 

Setting it up for remote operation was way more simple than I expected. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Imaging Rig-02-lbl.jpg

• Jim Waters, jdupton and TelescopeGreg like this

#38 skaiser

skaiser

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:56 PM

Unless there is something I’ve missed.

I tried and failed to create a hotspot on my new Mele quieter 3c mini pc ( win 11 pro) UNLESS it was connected to the internet. This was a Microsoft warning message..

As soon as I connected the Mele to internet it allowed me to create a hotspot.

so looks like a portable router is only way.

#39 Oberon510

Oberon510

Vostok 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, California, USA

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:37 PM

I have a Losmandy mount which has a lan connection for control (RJ45) so for star parties I have :-

Gl.net mini router (3 lan ports and USB C power) - connections of lan-mount, USBC-C charge port to NUC USB charge port for router power. - or maybe this one https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt1300/

Intel NUC for all my imaging and control software - connections of lan-router, USB charge port to Router, USB to Pegasus power/USB box that supports all the cameras, focuser, EFW, etc... Substitute Mele for NUC in your case.

The Gl.net acts as the wifi access point, the lan hub and the DHCP server for all the devices (mainly with fixed IP addresses for the NUC/Mount but DHCP for all the clients to the wifi). I set up 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs as 2.4ghz is better for longer distance wifi usage (use either based on situation)

Good luck,

Ken

#40 skaiser

skaiser

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:42 PM

HI all

I was lucky , digging through some of my older PC equipment I ran across a neat gadget from RAVPOWER.

This was something they sold a few years ago as a File Sharing device.

Has its own built in battery, and can act as a wireless router or direct connect via a LAN port.

Will be using this for remote setup of my rig where no Internet-wifi is available.

I was able to set this up so I can control my MeLe quieter 3C mini pc from my Ipad without a internet connection or phone hotspot.

Doesn't look like the make it anymore but maybe someone else builds something like it.

RAV router

take care

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics