•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 130SLT and Stellarmate project questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 urmo

urmo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Estonia

Posted 16 November 2022 - 06:35 AM

I got an Idea to give my old Raspberry pi 3+ a new life with Stellarmate. Found a fast 64G card, purchased official Stellarmate os and started it. Onboard wifi has always been weak, so I decided to get an wifi dongle (brostrend). I have hardly any experience with linux, so I got immediately trouble with installation. Hour later, with help of google, I was able to launch the dongle. What a difference, nice strong signal, but... onboard wifi remained to work together with dongle and messing things up. After few hours I succeeded to kill onboard wifi and the thing was working nicely. Next I tried to conf telescope and got confused, perhaps someone with similar conf. can help me out. My equipment:

Celestron nexstar 130SLT, working in Starsense mode

Starsense autoallign

Zwo ASI 385MC, waiting for ASI294MC Pro

Celestron wifi

Skysafari

Questions:

- How should I connect stellarmate to my mount? HC has microusb, so I can connect RP directly with cable, but I prefere wifi- is it possible? 

- config of telescope- k-stars has several options for Celestron, but I cant understand which one I should choose, celestron aux, celestron wifi, celestron starsense?

- I like skysafary far more compared to kstars and I would like to keep using it. There are drivers for skysafari I can launch  through stellarmate web manager, but have no idea how to start using it, perhaps someone could explain step by step.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• ddd.jpg

#2 mlord

mlord

Soyuz

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 16 November 2022 - 08:48 AM

If the software you are running knows how to align the mount with StarSense, then some form of connection directly to the mount, or over WiFi to the mount, will work.  But I think only CPWI knows how to do alignments with StarSense.

So otherwise, it'll be a USB/serial connection from the base of the hand-controller to the Pi.  Alignment is then done with the StarSense hand-controller before software on the Pi takes over.  This method will also work for CPWI.

Edited by mlord, 16 November 2022 - 08:48 AM.

#3 mlord

mlord

Soyuz

Posted 16 November 2022 - 08:52 AM

It looks like StellarMate can handle a direct connection to the mount itself.  So try that first, over the Celestron WiFi:  https://www.stellarm.../Celestron.html

#4 urmo

urmo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2022 - 03:08 PM

But I think only CPWI knows how to do alignments with StarSense.

Thanks for your answer! Actually SkySafari is able to coop with StarSense and autoalign, I have been using SkySafari since now. For now I have connected RP to HC and been able to slew scope manually using stellarmate, but how should connect and use skysafari through Stellarmate? Drivers are there and launched. Also I thought I had correct choises of equipment and drivers, but closer look shows my mount conf as EQ instead of alt-az

To be honest, so many trouble understanding linux (no experience at all) and servers, not so intuitive users interface of k-stars and so on, I'm not sure if all this is worth of effort. Perhaps I should take Stellarmate as a educational project and build up something using 12V miniPC for AP and Skysafari for allignement and guide. What I will miss is platesolving through main camera- alt-az is pretty sloppy and autoalign is not very precise... Sorry, got bit frustrated after several hours of no result activity.

#5 mlord

mlord

Soyuz

Posted 16 November 2022 - 03:33 PM

SkyPortal (and SkySafari) are intended to connect to the mount directly over WiFi, without need of a Pi or anything else, other than the Android (or Apple) device running the app itself.

#6 urmo

urmo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2022 - 01:46 PM

Still strugling with RP and stellarmate. Meanwhile I spend time to organise wires, it was annoying when during autoallign wires got stuck and pulled out 12 V plug. So I decided to replace all 12V wires with spiral wires, now there is enough lenght for mount to make several rounds without unplug the 12V. 

Still some questions:

1. any other decent imaging software, which can be installed on RPi and Stellarmate?

2. How should I connect RPi to my scope using Celestron wifi? At present I connect Skysafari to mount using Celestron wifi dongle, but have no slightest idea how to make contact with RPi. Celestron has its own hotspot and RPi is set to work in my home wifi network.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5067.jpg

#7 mlord

mlord

Soyuz

Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:01 PM

You can try having the Celestron WiFi also connect to the home network.  Then the RPi should be able to access it over the network.  You may need to specify the IP address, depending upon the software used.

#8 urmo

urmo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:50 PM

You can try having the Celestron WiFi also connect to the home network.  Then the RPi should be able to access it over the network.  You may need to specify the IP address, depending upon the software used.

OK, thanks, weeks of cloudy skies gives me lot of time to play around with subject. And stupid me, connection over the network sounds good :)

#9 mlord

mlord

Soyuz

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:57 PM

Note that using the home network will only work if the signals are strong, and competing networks are minimal. 

#10 urmo

urmo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2022 - 05:47 AM

Note that using the home network will only work if the signals are strong, and competing networks are minimal. 

waytogo.gif

I was able to connect all devices, but as described in different posts all over internet, there is something wrong with nexstar drivers and because of this I was not able to slew or move the mount. Does'nt matter, I'm in process to set up Astroberry for imaging and for now it seems to me, the Astroberry works smoother with older equipment (RPi3), for align and slew I will use Skysafari. Glad, that my new hobby keeps me busy also on rainy days lol.gif

Edited by urmo, 25 November 2022 - 05:48 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics