•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA refuses to start

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern New England

Posted 21 November 2022 - 07:18 PM

I'm having an issue with NINA on my mount-side computer. It simply refuses to start. I have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled multiple times, with multiple versions of NINA. When I look in Windows Event Viewer, it is throwing an error that appears to be related to the display and creating a window:

Application: NINA.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods+HRESULT.Check(Int32)
   at System.Windows.SplashScreen.CreateLayeredWindowFromImgBuffer(IntPtr, Int64, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.SplashScreen.Show(Boolean, Boolean)
   at NINA.App.Main()

I get a NINA crash dump that is over 170MB, but no debug log. That makes me wonder if the issue is that I'm running the whole system over Remote Desktop, and don't even have a local monitor connected. It runs just fine on the machine that I use inside the house...

Does that sound reasonable, and if so, how do I fix it? Or is there something else I should try. I have only the windows native security software, no other real-time AV (just Malware Bytes, which run periodically).

Any suggestions?

#2 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 21 November 2022 - 07:37 PM

Do you see the splash screen load from the remote?  I would actually bring the computer in and plug in a screen.  That would give you some answers.  

Now,let me ask  you this.  Are there windows updates pending?  Have any updates been applied to that machine, that still may be in the middle of updating?

• archer1960 likes this

#3 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2022 - 08:02 PM

Do you see the splash screen load from the remote?  I would actually bring the computer in and plug in a screen.  That would give you some answers.  

Now,let me ask  you this.  Are there windows updates pending?  Have any updates been applied to that machine, that still may be in the middle of updating?

No, no splash screen, and no windows or app updates pending. If I can't get it going by the weekend, I guess I could take a monitor out and connect it. That would be a lot easier than bringing in the computer with the way it's mounted.

• DanMiller likes this

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 21 November 2022 - 08:48 PM

Have you posted on NINA Discord and included the above log?

https://discord.com/invite/rWRbVbw

• archer1960 likes this

#5 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2022 - 08:49 PM

Have you posted on NINA Discord and included the above log?

https://discord.com/invite/rWRbVbw

No, not yet. I will do that if I don't get it working with help from here.

#6 mjanzou

mjanzou

Messenger

• Loc: So. Oregon

Posted 21 November 2022 - 09:21 PM

I'm having an issue with NINA on my mount-side computer. It simply refuses to start. I have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled multiple times, with multiple versions of NINA. When I look in Windows Event Viewer, it is throwing an error that appears to be related to the display and creating a window:

Application: NINA.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods+HRESULT.Check(Int32)
   at System.Windows.SplashScreen.CreateLayeredWindowFromImgBuffer(IntPtr, Int64, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.SplashScreen.Show(Boolean, Boolean)
   at NINA.App.Main()

I get a NINA crash dump that is over 170MB, but no debug log. That makes me wonder if the issue is that I'm running the whole system over Remote Desktop, and don't even have a local monitor connected. It runs just fine on the machine that I use inside the house...

Does that sound reasonable, and if so, how do I fix it? Or is there something else I should try. I have only the windows native security software, no other real-time AV (just Malware Bytes, which run periodically).

Any suggestions?

What version of windows are you using? and the build info.
Nina requires dot net runtime 4.8

https://www.nighttim...u/requirements/

https://dotnet.micro...framework/net48

You might try reloading it or repair if its already there.

Edited by mjanzou, 21 November 2022 - 09:25 PM.

• Jim Waters and archer1960 like this

#7 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 November 2022 - 10:15 PM

I should have asked this before, but did it ever work on that remote computer?  I just assumed it did. But I should know better then to assume anything.

#8 Relic

Relic

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beaumont, CA.

Posted 22 November 2022 - 12:06 AM

Not high jacking but I just had the same thing happen to me on a 4 month old U59 mini pc with windows 11 pro.  Everything had been working fine for months until Saturday night, and I had used it remotely two days prior. NINA would not open nor could I truly uninstall it.  I tried to repair it but to no avail.  I brought in inside and connected a monitor for local control to verify.   I gave up and reset the pc to factory settings.  After that I re installed all the software, (NINA was first). Everything seems fine but I wont know for sure until I can test it tomorrow night.    

#9 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2022 - 06:57 AM

What version of windows are you using? and the build info.
Nina requires dot net runtime 4.8

https://www.nighttim...u/requirements/

https://dotnet.micro...framework/net48

You might try reloading it or repair if its already there.

I checked that, and it says I already have the latest version installed. Not sure how to do a repair, but everything else runs just fine, so I suspect this is ok, too.

#10 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 November 2022 - 07:54 AM

I checked that, and it says I already have the latest version installed. Not sure how to do a repair, but everything else runs just fine, so I suspect this is ok, too.

To repair a program in windows: https://support.micr... on the screen.

• archer1960 likes this

#11 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 November 2022 - 10:34 AM

I just thought about this.  I was having an issue with NINA startup.  Would launch the splash screen, then just hang there. I had loaded the DSLR focus plugin which I couldn't use(another story).  When I uninstalled that plugin, things improved.  Also, check your cables.  Windows may be spending so much time trying to connect to an external device it is locking out NINA.   I have also had issues with usb hubs, or usb cables that have caused just really weird issues with different applications.

#12 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 22 November 2022 - 10:43 AM

This is a bit out there, but have you tried:

1. Starting NINA from the  C:\Program Files\N.I.N.A. - Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy\NINA.exe instead of the desktop shortcut, start menu or taskbar icon.

2. Add the NINA.exe to allowed programs in your antivirus. I've also seen my AV block certain parts of NINA from being downloaded.

• DanMiller likes this

#13 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:33 AM

To repair a program in windows: https://support.micr... on the screen.

Unfortunately, the .NET framework doesn't appear in that list. But now that I look MS has a page on how to repair it, which I'll try. I still don't think it's an issue with the .NET FW, but I need to rule that out.

• DanMiller likes this

#14 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:38 AM

the only time nina refused to start for me was when i upgraded to v2 and tried to run it with win7. It needs win10. Just a thought.

• archer1960 likes this

#15 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:50 AM

the only time nina refused to start for me was when i upgraded to v2 and tried to run it with win7. It needs win10. Just a thought.

Already running Win10, with update 22H2 (the latest).

#16 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 November 2022 - 01:19 PM

Unfortunately, the .NET framework doesn't appear in that list. But now that I look MS has a page on how to repair it, which I'll try. I still don't think it's an issue with the .NET FW, but I need to rule that out.

Try running that against NINA

#17 scopewizard

scopewizard

Apollo

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:15 PM

Try this, goto the C:\\windows\temp\ folder and delete all the files you can, some will not, just skip those.

Try NINA again.

• DanMiller likes this

#18 mjanzou

mjanzou

Messenger

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:46 AM

Try this, goto the C:\\windows\temp\ folder and delete all the files you can, some will not, just skip those.

Try NINA again.

If you dont have enough free space on the c-drive you could be running into a virtual memory issue but that typically throws a different error… You can do a disk cleanup with system files option and also delete your restore points in control panel/recovery section to get max free disk space back other than moving/deleting your user files.

As posted above if you have any addon AV program, temporarily disable it, reinstall and see if it runs then exclude nina if it does.

https://www.nighttim...ooting/general/

also stumbled onto to this which solved a startup issue.

Try deleting the profiles in C:\Users\<your_windows_user>\AppData\Local\NINA\Profiles and see if it starts.  Take a backup of the files in this folder first.

Edited by mjanzou, 23 November 2022 - 01:49 AM.

• archer1960 and DanMiller like this

#19 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:34 AM

Don't have any profiles; I've never gotten it to start.

If you dont have enough free space on the c-drive you could be running into a virtual memory issue but that typically throws a different error… You can do a disk cleanup with system files option and also delete your restore points in control panel/recovery section to get max free disk space back other than moving/deleting your user files.

As posted above if you have any addon AV program, temporarily disable it, reinstall and see if it runs then exclude nina if it does.

https://www.nighttim...ooting/general/

also stumbled onto to this which solved a startup issue.

Try deleting the profiles in C:\Users\<your_windows_user>\AppData\Local\NINA\Profiles and see if it starts.  Take a backup of the files in this folder first.

t

• DanMiller likes this

#20 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 November 2022 - 10:23 AM

Ok, lets try this.  Let's see if the dog is even trying to start.  Remotely connect to your computer NINA is on.  Launch NINA.  Give it a minute or 2.  Then navigate to the search window at the bottom of the remote window.   Type in Task manager.  You should get a popup where task manager is listed on the left hand side.  click on open task manager.  You will now see all of the applications that are running, how much cpu they are using, and how much memory.  Scroll through the list looking for NINA.  If it is not there, it never started.  If it is there, then it is hung up someplace.

I also would try to start NINA from where the executable(.exe) actually is at.  Someone sugested that in an earlier post.  The short cut may be corrupted or there is not enough authority or some crap like that.

• archer1960 likes this

#21 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:52 AM

NINA is starting; I see it in task manager for a few seconds, and it creates a crash dump file (as I mentioned in the OP). I'm trying to figure out why it crashes before showing anything on the display. Or, more precisely, how to prevent it from doing so;  I don't really care why it's crashing, if I can stop it from doing so.

Unfortunately, the crash dump is a binary file, not text, so it doesn't tell me anything useful. The windows event viewer says the fault is in the Show Splash section (don't recall the exact method name). I don't get a regular NINA operation log; it seems to crash before it gets to that point.

Ok, lets try this.  Let's see if the dog is even trying to start.  Remotely connect to your computer NINA is on.  Launch NINA.  Give it a minute or 2.  Then navigate to the search window at the bottom of the remote window.   Type in Task manager.  You should get a popup where task manager is listed on the left hand side.  click on open task manager.  You will now see all of the applications that are running, how much cpu they are using, and how much memory.  Scroll through the list looking for NINA.  If it is not there, it never started.  If it is there, then it is hung up someplace.

I also would try to start NINA from where the executable(.exe) actually is at.  Someone sugested that in an earlier post.  The short cut may be corrupted or there is not enough authority or some crap like that.

#22 mjanzou

mjanzou

Messenger

Posted 23 November 2022 - 02:15 PM

Hmmm, What type video device and driver ver. are you using?

Intel integrated, Nvidia, ATI yadayada....

Is it the native windows 10 driver or manually updated by yourself?

Also, is the malware bytes service running, lower right hand corner up ^ icon?

• archer1960 likes this

#23 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:13 PM

Hmm, good question on the video device; it's whatever was built into the box (a Kingdel from two years ago), so I'm assuming Intel (it's a dual-core I5 processor), but I'll have to check. Using strictly the Windows built-in drivers. MalwareBytes only runs on demand when I do weekly (or so) scans; I don't leave the service running. I suppose another test would be to try a different remote-control program, such as TeamViewer or one of the VNC variants.

Hmmm, What type video device and driver ver. are you using?

Intel integrated, Nvidia, ATI yadayada....

Is it the native windows 10 driver or manually updated by yourself?

Also, is the malware bytes service running, lower right hand corner up ^ icon?

#24 mjanzou

mjanzou

Messenger

Posted 23 November 2022 - 04:02 PM

MS remote desktop shouldn't have an issue but you could try hooking it up to a monitor and see if it runs 'locally' which would answer your remote session question altogether. I wonder if nina needs a local monitor during the install to setup some initial graphics settings internally? I have never tried to install nina remotely (headless) in this case. It really shouldn't matter but who knows but the developer.

I would try that before reposting your issue in the nina discord/support forum, I'm outa ideas and that would be the best option for you to take from here.

Sorry, but do tell if you get it resolved....

• archer1960 likes this

#25 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2022 - 04:50 PM

MS remote desktop shouldn't have an issue but you could try hooking it up to a monitor and see if it runs 'locally' which would answer your remote session question altogether. I wonder if nina needs a local monitor during the install to setup some initial graphics settings internally? I have never tried to install nina remotely (headless) in this case. It really shouldn't matter but who knows but the developer.

I would try that before reposting your issue in the nina discord/support forum, I'm outa ideas and that would be the best option for you to take from here.

Sorry, but do tell if you get it resolved....

I did make a post on the NINA Discord forum; we'll see where that goes. Thanks for the suggestions everybody; even though they didn't help, they at least ruled out several potential issues.

• mjanzou likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics