•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 Classic- R.A. Setting Circle Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amstuart1964

amstuart1964

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:49 AM

Hi:

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate.

I received my electronics and motors back from the repair shop and the Dec reversal has been fixed. After putting everything back, I am ready to lift the scope to my pier and noticed the R.A. Setting Circle cannot manually be turned far enough in east or west to bring the "0" to align with the Hour Angle Pointer. There are hard stops in either direction when moving the setting circle. I am polar aligned and before powering up I always move the R.A. Setting Circle to the "0" position. What did I manually do during reassembly that is preventing the R.A. Setting Circle to move far enough to the "0" position? Attached photo shows Setting Circle at the hard stop when moving counterclockwise.

Thank you.

Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• RA SC.jpg

#2 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 24 November 2022 - 12:11 PM

We have no clue what you did. There are no hard stops so something is hitting somewhere that shouldn't be. You'll have to disassemble it to see what may be out of place and hitting.

• dcaponeii likes this

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:59 PM

I've had my 2180 apart several times and there are not hard stops on the setting circles.  Same with the LX600.

• Skywatchr likes this

#4 amstuart1964

amstuart1964

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2022 - 12:01 PM

Thanks, dcaponeii.

Removed the base and MOB and RA motor but could not see anything obvious. Remounted the scope on my superwedge and pier and now the setting circles move in either direction, albeit "tight" at some points. Powered up and the RA slewing is smooth. The RA "00" position is once again in front of the hour angle pointer at start up so I will leave it at that.

Thank you.

Adam

• Skywatchr likes this

#5 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 26 November 2022 - 03:07 PM

Thanks, dcaponeii.

Removed the base and MOB and RA motor but could not see anything obvious. Remounted the scope on my superwedge and pier and now the setting circles move in either direction, albeit "tight" at some points. Powered up and the RA slewing is smooth. The RA "00" position is once again in front of the hour angle pointer at start up so I will leave it at that.

Thank you.

Adam

You would also have to take the center cover off on top the base, then remove the screw on the top RA bearing.  The entire fork assembly will separate from the bottom which will expose the underbelly where the setting circle, RA clutch, and RA slo-mo gear reside (plus a few other pieces). There is probably "something" in there causing the rubbing issue.  But since it seems to be functional now, I'd leave it be.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics