•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

synscan sidereal tracking vs point and track

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amitshesh

amitshesh

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:02 PM

Can somebody explain to me how point and track actually works? The synscan manual says this is an alternate way of tracking that does not need alignment.

Is my understanding that tracking is "move the stepper motors in alt and az at a specific rate depending on location and current ra and dex? And point and track is "Remember the ra and dec of where you started and go incremental rotations of the stepper motors to retain that same ra and dec"?

I want to understand what it is doing. This is because my az GTI in alt az mode is not tracking well in sidereal rare even after careful alignment and verifying location and leveling mount. But the point and track works better. How can that be? And if it is supposed to work better why not just point and track by default once it is known where the telescope is pointing?

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:23 PM

Gday amitshesh

I cant say exactly for the SynScan, but it sounds similar to what you can do with a Meade.

ie its accuracy is predicated on how level the base is.

You would also need the correct time/location and have started in a set home position.

Basically, if you manually move to a target and do a synch,

the system knows the RA/DEC of the target, and using time / location data

it can work out the current Alt/Az.

From that, it can do simple AltAz tracking calcs with reasonable accuracy

On top of that, the newer Synta firmwares have a "tracking" mode

where an app can send a constant stream of RA/DEC/Time coordinate sets

and the mount will then follow this, vs normal tracking.

They use this mainly for the satellite tracking, but it could also be used for comets

or lunar tracking etc, where there are mixed RA and DEC rates involved

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics