•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars 11/24

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:46 PM

I defied the bad seeing last night and....I lost. Pretty awful conditions (CNC said average to poor) mitigated by brief spells of image steadiness. 

Several details (Sinus Meridiani, NPH, etc) were discernable at the eyepiece at 310X in those steady moments.

I think I was able to tune the scope well enough to extract some detail out of these non ideal conditions. Only about 800 frames were used for these stacks. 14.5" newtonian  with the ASI462MC and TVPM5X at ~0.09"/pixel.

Here is the best RGB image at 06:07 UT

0607UT.jpg

The IR610 image at 04:56UT shows a good amount of detail. It seems that the Martian atmosphere is not very clear in the southern hemisphere as the albedo features are not very prominent.

0456UT_IR610.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Edited by TonyStar, 24 November 2022 - 05:47 PM.

• Bob Campbell, John Boudreau, Pete Gorczynski and 13 others like this

#2 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 24 November 2022 - 06:09 PM

I defied the bad seeing last night and....I lost. Pretty awful conditions (CNC said average to poor) mitigated by brief spells of image steadiness. 

Several details (Sinus Meridiani, NPH, etc) were discernable at the eyepiece at 310X in those steady moments.

I think I was able to tune the scope well enough to extract some detail out of these non ideal conditions. Only about 800 frames were used for these stacks. 14.5" newtonian  with the ASI462MC and TVPM5X at ~0.09"/pixel.

Here is the best RGB image at 06:07 UT

attachicon.gif0607UT.jpg

The IR610 image at 04:56UT shows a good amount of detail. It seems that the Martian atmosphere is not very clear in the southern hemisphere as the albedo features are not very prominent.

attachicon.gif0456UT_IR610.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Excellent! Your aperture certainly was able to capitalize on the the brief moments of quiescence.

Bob

#3 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 24 November 2022 - 06:55 PM

Pretty good, Tony, especially considering how few frames you stacked.

In the first image there's a bright area in the northwest and I'm wondering if that's a new dust outbreak. I captured it in my image from this morning too, and it definitely wasn't there in my previous image from Nov 20.

• Bob Campbell likes this

#4 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:47 PM

Pretty good, Tony, especially considering how few frames you stacked.

In the first image there's a bright area in the northwest and I'm wondering if that's a new dust outbreak. I captured it in my image from this morning too, and it definitely wasn't there in my previous image from Nov 20.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ray. The feature doesn't appear in other pictures of the same region taken on 11-22, so it may well be an outbreak. Here is another IR image at 05:14 UT showing the feature.

0514UT_IR610L.jpg

• Foc likes this

#5 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 25 November 2022 - 06:35 PM

A dust cloud just south of Lunae Lacus.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics