•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Win 11 Taskbar problems over remote connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:11 PM

Hi there,

Does anyone know of the source of problems when taskbar icons dissapear? I am connecting with Chrome Remote Desktop to a Win 11 PC, but lately, the only way I can get the taskbar icons to appear is by right clicking on the app on the desktop and selecting "remove from taskbar". Then, all of a sudden, all the applications appear again on the taskbar. It could be Chrome Remote Desktop or it could be Windows 11....thats as far as I've gotten. Could one of the experts show me how to recreate whatever file is responsible for the triggering taskbar icons to appear when Windows 11 starts u-?

Clear Skies,

Paul

#2 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Apollo

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 27 November 2022 - 06:19 PM

I'm surprised you have gotten no responses to your question. And my response may not be relevant. I use Remote Desktop to connect to my scope PC. I've recently upgraded from a win 10 NUC to a Win 11 Pro MeLE Quieter 3C. I did run into a similar problem where I could not get the taskbar (I put it at the bottom of the window) to pop up. I have it set to auto-hide. It took a while to discover that the problem was that when I reset the zoom level, the virtual screen slightly exceeded the RD window size. I had to scroll down a few pixels to reveal the bottom of the virtual screen. When I did that I could then activate the pop-up task bar. If I defaulted to the next-lower zoom setting, I could get the entire virtual desktop to fit within the RD window without having to scroll.

The task bar can be set to include multiple rows of icons. Check to be sure that is not happening to you. That could hide a second line of icons from showing up within your Chrome window.

#3 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2022 - 06:22 PM

Hi Dan,

Yes it IS related to scale and “resize to fit” on Chrime Remote Desktop’s right side pop out menu, the icons reappeared!

Thanks for your time,

Paul

#4 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Apollo

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 29 November 2022 - 11:43 AM

Wow, I’m surprised that worked so easily. It was a shot in the dark given the different software, but it did seem to fit the pattern. 

#5 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 11:58 AM

Hi Dan,

I’m keeping all the “checkboxes” clicked on Chrome Remote Desktop, including “Full Screen”, and the problem has stopped. No need for me to unhide the taskbar, though, as it was purely a scaling/resolution issue with Chrome’s extension.

Clear Skies,

Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics