•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for ideas -- how to connect small boxy items to round metal tripod legs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TDunnavant

TDunnavant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri City, Texas -- SW-side Houston suburb

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:52 PM

Hi, folks,

My particular application will be to attach items, such as a Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance and a miniPC, to the legs of an iOptron Literoc tripod.  I'm interested and anxious to see what types of approaches you've come up with, to attach boxy items to round tripod legs.

Here is one editorial comment:  I find it to be stupefying that iOptron doesn't provide some type of tripod leg saddle for stowing their mounts' handsets.

One idea that I've heard is to attach a section of Vixen dovetail plate to the leg, and then adapt the boxy items to the dovetail plate.  That should work okay.  I then have the question -- what do you think would be reasonable ways to attach the dovetail plate to the leg?  One of my colleagues in our local astronomy club offered up the following approach, for example:

"For mini PC to tripod, I zip-tied a dovetail bar with some soft shelf liner between leg and bar.  When I set up, I attach Eagle to dovetail bar.  The cushy shelf liner keeps bar in place and prevents scratches."

The way that I might evolve this is to adapt the Powerbox to the dovetail bar, using some dovetail adapters that Pegasus Astro provides.  Similarly, I might attach the miniPC to the top of the Powerbox, again using some productized Pegasus Astro connectors.  However, I'm still interested in hearing what might be your solutions, in particular how you would attach your devices to the tripod legs, themselves.

Edited by TDunnavant, 24 November 2022 - 08:53 PM.

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Hubble

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:05 PM

I put my Pegasus on a top dovetail bar that I added to my OTA. To me that's the easiest solution but it depends a bit on the mount that you are using. 

Rgrds-Ross

• TDunnavant likes this

#3 Silverwingit

Silverwingit

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:06 PM

The hand controller is an easy one. I just used self-adhesive Velcro. I put the hooks on the side of the mount opposite from the counterbalance weight. That way the hooks don't scratch my hand. Since I used industrial strength Velco, I just have to "touch" the back of the controller to the hooks. If I want a stronger connection, I take more time to see that fhe two Velcro'ed surfaces meet more fully. Works great for me.
  • TDunnavant likes this

#4 Cosmo Geezer

Cosmo Geezer

Vostok 1

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:07 PM

Depending on the application, I've used hose clamps lined with felt. I've also used hot glue.

• TDunnavant likes this

#5 bugbit

bugbit

Vendor - Octopi-Astro

• Vendors
  • Loc: west of seattle

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:56 PM

Some conduit clamps of the proper size with some neoprene for a gasket to protect the tripod leg. Screw the clamp to a small piece of plywood/aluminum and use velcro to hold the accessory on.

• Sacred Heart and TDunnavant like this

#6 fourstars

fourstars

Viking 1

• Loc: Wild West.

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:57 PM

I like these Velcro bike cinch straps.
https://www.amazon.c...69344880&sr=8-4
  • CCD-Freak and TDunnavant like this

#7 Greyfox_MT

Greyfox_MT

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2022 - 10:06 PM

I use a clamp from Smallrig that clamps to basically any round pole.  It has two different mount holes on the back.

I use it and a piece of aluminum stock to mount a El-Vid 7" monitor to my photography rig.  You can see it right above the red cable connector.

IMG_0408_01.JPG

https://www.smallrig...Clamp-1124.html

• TDunnavant likes this

#8 jlinsobe

jlinsobe

Viking 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 24 November 2022 - 10:52 PM

I have found many useful clamps, sockets, hooks designs on these sites:

https://www.thingiverse.com

search “astrophotography”

http://www.scopestuff.com

Https://www.etsy.com

https://www.aliexpress.com

Ebay and Amazon.    

Quite affordable stuff.  

Edited by jlinsobe, 24 November 2022 - 10:55 PM.

• TDunnavant likes this

#9 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Northern CA

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:09 AM

https://buckeyestargazer.net/Shop.php

• desmc, TDunnavant and jlinsobe like this

#10 TDunnavant

TDunnavant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2022 - 07:56 PM

Hello, everyone,

So many great ideas, thank you! I'll be checking these out for sure!

#11 TDunnavant

TDunnavant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:37 AM

Howdy, AgilityGuy,

I went to buckeyestargazer.com and found EXACTLY the types of solutions I was searching for.  Thank you!

• AgilityGuy likes this

#12 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:24 PM

If you goggle  something like ‘iOptron hand control bracket’ here in CN, you’ll find several folks that make hand set holders made specifically for the CEM70 and its Tri Pier. I believe mine cost 18 usd and fits nicely in the Tripier’s leg. It’s nice that iOptron encourages us all to be inventive.

cheers

Gary 

ps: I can’t find the link I used to purchase one but here’s a link to one you can get printed from thinginverse : https://www.thingive...m/thing:4749185

Edited by GaryShaw, 26 November 2022 - 04:35 PM.

#13 speedster

speedster

Vendor - Telescope Piers

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 27 November 2022 - 04:34 AM

Tube clamps are pretty universal.  You can bolt stuff to them and also weld stuff to them.  All sorts of shapes and sizes.  Grainger, etc.

Screenshot 2022-11-27 033238.jpg

#14 Tangent

Tangent

Messenger

• Loc: Texas

Posted 27 November 2022 - 05:49 AM

There are also a variety of clamps used in the music industry for attaching things to poles of a similar size as tripod legs; a few people here have used them to make spreaders.

https://www.bhphotov..._5_for_1_5.html

https://www.sweetwat...ht=Mini360Clamp

• MarkMittlesteadt and TDunnavant like this

#15 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 30 November 2022 - 10:08 AM

I have attached things like a USB hub and power distribution boxes to strips of wood and then attached the wooden strips to the tripod legs using Velcro buckle ties. 

The buckle ties are available in various length and are also great for tidying up the cable mess.

AP900-cable mgt2.JPG

Buckle Ties-002.jpg

• Jaimo!, Xeroid and TDunnavant like this

#16 Southstorm

Southstorm

Vostok 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:12 AM

Hi, folks,

My particular application will be to attach items, such as a Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance and a miniPC, to the legs of an iOptron Literoc tripod. I'm interested and anxious to see what types of approaches you've come up with, to attach boxy items to round tripod legs.

Here is one editorial comment: I find it to be stupefying that iOptron doesn't provide some type of tripod leg saddle for stowing their mounts' handsets.

One idea that I've heard is to attach a section of Vixen dovetail plate to the leg, and then adapt the boxy items to the dovetail plate. That should work okay. I then have the question -- what do you think would be reasonable ways to attach the dovetail plate to the leg? One of my colleagues in our local astronomy club offered up the following approach, for example:

"For mini PC to tripod, I zip-tied a dovetail bar with some soft shelf liner between leg and bar. When I set up, I attach Eagle to dovetail bar. The cushy shelf liner keeps bar in place and prevents scratches."

The way that I might evolve this is to adapt the Powerbox to the dovetail bar, using some dovetail adapters that Pegasus Astro provides. Similarly, I might attach the miniPC to the top of the Powerbox, again using some productized Pegasus Astro connectors. However, I'm still interested in hearing what might be your solutions, in particular how you would attach your devices to the tripod legs, themselves.

I design and 3D print mine:

NUC Bracket

Edited by Southstorm, 30 November 2022 - 12:39 PM.

#17 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:41 PM

I make custom polyethylene shelves for the tripod spreaders on my setups. Gives me plenty of room for eyepieces or technology when imaging. I buy circular polyethylene cutting boards of the desired diameter and put in the holes myself. 

CuttingBoardTray.png

#18 desmc

desmc

Explorer 1

• Loc: Yorkshire, UK

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:27 PM

https://buckeyestargazer.net/Shop.php

+1
I’ve ordered a variety of items from Joel and they are all well designed and well made. He uses a standard design to interface between the object to be mounted - asiair, pc, Pegasus power box, etc, etc - and the mounting device (saddle, bars, tripod leg clamp, etc.) so there is a good degree of inter operability. All makes for very compact and tidy setups.

Cheers, Des
  • CCD-Freak and AgilityGuy like this

#19 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Northern CA

Posted 30 November 2022 - 10:19 PM

Howdy, AgilityGuy,

I went to buckeyestargazer.com and found EXACTLY the types of solutions I was searching for.  Thank you!

Excellent! I’ve got Joel’s adapters all over my rig and they all do exactly what they’re intended to do.  In the event anyone needs something that isn’t a stock piece he’s great at creating something that will work. 

• CCD-Freak likes this

#20 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 30 November 2022 - 10:58 PM

I just ordered an iOptron hand controller holder today.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics