•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

East Horizon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmo Geezer

Cosmo Geezer

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:59 PM

From the Mollie Brown Observatory 11/24/2022 . . . Captured this before the clouds moved in this morning. This is the eastern horizon of the Sun in H-alpha and it looks like a lot of activity is about to rotate into our view. Unfortunately, it also looks like my skies will be clouded over for at least a week. This shot was taken with the 72mm Apertura refractor / Daystar Chromosphere Quark / Meade LPI-G monochrome camera / UV/IR filter. I also attached the Ultra High Contrast filter which I believe brought out some more detail. I'll have to remember this set up next time! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• 11-24-22 East Horizon rzd.jpg

• bigdob24, Siderius, Foc and 7 others like this

#2 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:11 PM

That is a really nice pic. I see really fine detail in the filaments of the prominences.  I assume it is a stack of video frames.  How many minutes duration was the video clip? Not too long, so the prominences didn't blur?

. I also attached the Ultra High Contrast filter which I believe brought out some more detail.

My intuition is that the UHC filter won't do anything because you are looking at monochromatic light. But correct me if I am wrong.

#3 Cosmo Geezer

Cosmo Geezer

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2022 - 10:50 PM

Thank you. I was pleased and surprised with the detail in the prominences. That's why I was thinking the UHC filter may have helped but you're probably right because I don't really know. I just assumed that the contrast on monchromatic light can be adjusted. I'll try it with and without the filter on the next session to see. The SER file consisted of 1093 frames and was around 20 seconds or so. The pic is a stack of the best 20%.

Edited by Cosmo Geezer, 25 November 2022 - 10:51 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics