•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PixInsight - More Cores or More Threads?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KTAZ

KTAZ

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:44 AM

For those of you in the know that have built a higher end processing machine; which should be my goal?

I'm not going to pay $3k for a processor, but I will pay for a good balance between performance and price.

That said, is a 2:1 ratio between threads and cores a good target?

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Aurora

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 25 November 2022 - 10:33 AM

Pixinsight uses all available threads when processing your images. Also Pixinsight is more efficient when running a Linux system rather than windows. I currently process my images on a 56 core computer which handles my images quickly. The cost of CPUs are really low now. You can get a latest i9 13900K  24 core cpu for $575, so anything you build will be fast and give Pixinsight enough cores to process quickly.

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 November 2022 - 10:52 AM

See this article which may help. Packages like Pixinsight can run multiple virtual threads from a single core hence the throughput is increased since threads are faster to execute than hardware alone.

I use the Ryzen 3950X which has 16 cores and PI uses it at a level of 32 threads- it is fairly quick however there are now faster Ryzen CPU's. If I was building a computer for PI I would use EPYC CPU's which can have "silly" numbers of cores and loads of memory however the cost would be epic!

https://www.serverba...res-vs-threads/

Edited by pyrasanth, 25 November 2022 - 10:52 AM.

• KTAZ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics