•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pleiades

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 colinrm

colinrm

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:34 PM

Like M42, y'all probably get tired of seeing this target.  But for me, I've been waiting three years for clear winter weather to get enough data on it.  I used my new SkyWatcher 72ED and ASI294MC, which gave me a great field of view.  A bit of chromatic aberration from all these bright blue stars, but I can't complain from the cheap price of this little scope.  This 30 hours over five nights,

pleiades-s.jpg

The full resolution image is available on my website, https://wolfcreek.sp...11/26/pleiades/

Thanks for looking!

• F.Meiresonne, revans, Sheridan and 21 others like this

#2 Boeglewatcher

Boeglewatcher

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Augsburg, Germany

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:38 PM

great pic! you tamed the stars very well!

cs Joachim

#3 astrohound24

astrohound24

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:56 PM

It’s a beauty. I have been working on some data I got the other night and some older 135mm wide field data I got a while back. You did a great job!

#4 Stellar1

Stellar1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:43 PM

A beautiful image, and If one ever gets tired of looking at M42 they’re made of wood, especially a fine example like this!

Edited by Stellar1, 26 November 2022 - 02:44 PM.

• mariemarie likes this

#5 soojooko

soojooko

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 November 2022 - 03:25 PM

That's a really nice image. I played around with it and was impressed with the amount of detail in the jpeg. I would love to get a look at the original stack.

Here's the same image with some extra linear stretching.

M45

There is so much detail in the dust. Again, its a great image. Very well done.

#6 colinrm

colinrm

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:20 PM

That's a really nice image. I played around with it and was impressed with the amount of detail in the jpeg. I would love to get a look at the original stack.

Here's the same image with some extra linear stretching.

There is so much detail in the dust. Again, its a great image. Very well done.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I got so wrapped up in how great the picture was turning out that I forget to up the black point at the end.  :)

#7 sbharrat

sbharrat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!  I got so wrapped up in how great the picture was turning out that I forget to up the black point at the end.  smile.gif

IMHO your original BP was spot on. Not black. And shows the full extent of the sisters. Really nice pic. 

• Sacred Heart likes this

#8 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Soyuz

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:43 PM

Love the detail,  well worth the time.   I'm a minimalist, the less processing I have to do the better.  It is very easy to over process.  Everything is subject to the imager.

Very nice,   Joe

#9 Sheridan

Sheridan

Apollo

• Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:23 AM

Very nice. I like it.

#10 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:06 AM

Great nebulosity! . Guess 30 hours integration pays off...stars are a bit too much tamed for my liking but it remains an impressive image.

#11 Bitslizer

Bitslizer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:54 PM

Like M42, y'all probably get tired of seeing this target.  But for me, I've been waiting three years for clear winter weather to get enough data on it.  I used my new SkyWatcher 72ED and ASI294MC, which gave me a great field of view.  A bit of chromatic aberration from all these bright blue stars, but I can't complain from the cheap price of this little scope.  This 30 hours over five nights,

attachicon.gifpleiades-s.jpg

The full resolution image is available on my website, https://wolfcreek.sp...11/26/pleiades/

Thanks for looking!

Amazing! Mind if I asked what bortle? Just as a reference of what can be achieved under what darkness.  I recently found out no matter how many hours of I integration, I won't get the result from a darker sky.  So kind of you calibration of my own expectation

#12 colinrm

colinrm

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Amazing! Mind if I asked what bortle? Just as a reference of what can be achieved under what darkness.  I recently found out no matter how many hours of I integration, I won't get the result from a darker sky.  So kind of you calibration of my own expectation

I am just outside of a large city, Bortle 6.  According to https://www.lightpollutionmap.info I am "SQM 19.42 mag./arc sec2".

#13 soojooko

soojooko

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 November 2022 - 07:48 AM

I've lost count of the times I have re-visited this thread. Such a great image.

Is it just me - or does anybody else get completely hypnotised by M45 when it's properly exposed like this? Theres something deeply voodoo about it!

#14 sbharrat

sbharrat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I am just outside of a large city, Bortle 6.  According to https://www.lightpollutionmap.info I am "SQM 19.42 mag./arc sec2".

To the questioner, yes you can't get what you would get from dark sky. But you absolutely can get beautiful images of this wondrous target. The OP's image is a shining example. You can even get good images from worse skies than the OP... this is 12h from Bortle 8 https://astro.bharra...es-dec2021.html

Put in the time... It's a beautiful target waytogo.gif

Edited by sbharrat, 29 November 2022 - 08:45 AM.

#15 EPinNC

EPinNC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:56 AM

After stumbling across colinrm's site, I've become a big fan.  Some masterful and inspiring work!

Edited by EPinNC, 29 November 2022 - 08:56 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics