•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question for Tele Vue Starbeam Owners

Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:47 PM

I'd like to adapt my older version Starbeam to accept a new StellarVue-type illuminator.  Here's a picture of a Starbeam that has a threaded insert/adapter that a StellarVue illuminator will fit.  I have been unable to find any reference to such an insert/adapter, or any model Starbeam that came with it.  Anyone know anything about this insert/adapter???

msg-262114-0-20754200-1669426987_thumb.jpg

• Castor likes this

#2 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

Posted 27 November 2022 - 01:41 PM

I'd like to adapt my older version Starbeam to accept a new StellarVue-type illuminator.  Here's a picture of a Starbeam that has a threaded insert/adapter that a StellarVue illuminator will fit.  I have been unable to find any reference to such an insert/adapter, or any model Starbeam that came with it.  Anyone know anything about this insert/adapter???

attachicon.gifmsg-262114-0-20754200-1669426987_thumb.jpg

Hi J.D.

I own multiple Starbeam finders, but all of them are from the older model with the chrome illuminator, I prefer them mostly for aesthetic reasons.  The threaded adapter that you are seeing in the picture that you posted is probably from one of the current Starbeam models, designed to accept the Rigel Systems PulsGuide Jr illuminator included when purchased new.  As far as I know, Tele Vue used to sell a PulsGuide Jr retrofit (that surely must include the adapter) so you can have the new illuminator on an old Starbeam.  Here’s an old post where it’s mentioned:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/360980-starbeam-change/?p=4631435

Here´s the official word from the former Tele Vue representative:

https://www.cloudyni...ange/?p=4642776

P.S.  I always found the pictures of your TV scopes on the Vixen mounts very inspiring! drool5.gif They served as motivational help when deciding whether to buy or not a TV-76 scope when I already owned a TV-85.  In the end I bought the TV-76 and I couldn’t be happier with my decision to own both scopes, thank you! waytogo.gif 

Edited by Castor, 27 November 2022 - 01:46 PM.

#3 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:51 PM

Hey Casper,

Thanks for the info, and I appreciate the feedback about buying the TV-76.  If I remember correctly, I have owned 3 or 4 TV-76s.  For some reason, I would sell them to buy something new, and regretted it every time.   My current one is a keeper - really!  smile.gif

• Castor likes this

#4 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:32 PM

Hey Casper,

Thanks for the info, and I appreciate the feedback about buying the TV-76.  If I remember correctly, I have owned 3 or 4 TV-76s.  For some reason, I would sell them to buy something new, and regretted it every time.   My current one is a keeper - really!  smile.gif

You are welcome J.D.!

Wow you have owned 3 or 4 TV-76’s! shocked.gif  And I was having a hard time deciding on the first one, he, he! lol.gif  Mine is a keeper too!  I love their high performance combined with the small form factor and I really don’t know what I’d do if I was forced to choose between it and its slightly larger brother, the TV-85.  Perhaps I should pay attention to your broader experience:  Coming back to it again every time that you sell one. ubetcha.gif

It’s been my pleasure to be able to thank you for the inspiration! waytogo.gif

P.S. My user name is Castor after the close double star in Gemini!

Edited by Castor, 27 November 2022 - 10:32 PM.

#5 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:50 PM

Castor,

I apologize about "Casper" - foreheadslap.gif   It was a brain cramp.  Happens a lot these days....

Anyway, clear skies,

JD

• Castor likes this

#6 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:58 AM

Castor,

I apologize about "Casper" - foreheadslap.gif   It was a brain cramp.  Happens a lot these days....

Anyway, clear skies,

JD

There’s nothing to apologize J.D., it’s a common slip.  I do it all the time and it’s very embarrassing when it happens with an actual name! blush.gif

Thanks, clear skies to you too!

#7 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:13 AM

I called Tele Vue and talked to David about the Starbeam.  The new illuminator comes with the adapter.  But the adapter isn't shown in the picture of the illuminator or in the instructions.  That's what confused me.  So I paid $60 plus $10 shipping for the new illuminator.  Unfortunately, they don't sell the adapter separately...frown.gif

Clear skies!!

JD

Edited by J_D_Metzger, 28 November 2022 - 11:13 AM.

• Castor likes this

#8 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:17 PM

I called Tele Vue and talked to David about the Starbeam.  The new illuminator comes with the adapter.  But the adapter isn't shown in the picture of the illuminator or in the instructions.  That's what confused me.  So I paid $60 plus $10 shipping for the new illuminator.  Unfortunately, they don't sell the adapter separately...frown.gif

Clear skies!!

JD

Thank you J.D. for sharing the results from your inquiry! waytogo.gif

It’s good to know that a retrofit with new illuminator can be purchased directly from Tele Vue in case the old one quits working!  I’m sorry that you couldn’t buy just the adapter separately!

Clear skies!

#9 George N

George N

Cosmos

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:14 PM

**next** question about the TV Starbeam -- Does that little mirror really work? -- for not having to bend down and look 'up' thru the thing? Can you really get an object in the eyepiece as well using the mirror as looking up thru it?

#10 tony_spina

tony_spina

Soyuz

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:41 AM

**next** question about the TV Starbeam -- Does that little mirror really work? -- for not having to bend down and look 'up' thru the thing? Can you really get an object in the eyepiece as well using the mirror as looking up thru it?

Yes. The mirror does work.  It may take you a few jumps to get the hang of it

• George N and Castor like this

#11 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 05:04 PM

Tony is right, the mirror really works.  

I received the new black illuminator from Tele Vue.  Turns out the adapter is indeed on the illuminator, however, the threads on the adapter do not exactly match the threads on the StellarVue type illuminator!    You can screw it in a little ways, and then it sticks.  So I'm going to keep the Tele Vue illuminator and sell the StellarVue one.   End of story...

• George N and Castor like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics