•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10” Meade F6.3 SCT year of origin?

Meade SCT
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hicksville, Long Island, New York

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:02 PM

A friend of mine was gifted an old Meade 10” sct and let it sit in his garage for three years. He isn’t much of an astronomer and knows nothing of optics like this. He passed this telescope on to me and I’m curious to find out when about this telescope was manufactured. I think it may be early nineties but I’m not too savvy on the history of a Meade SCT’s. I read about them a bunch on and older thread here on CN. Take a look at these images and tell me what you think. The mount is fairly beat up. The mirror moves with the focuser though and I think it’ll be serviceable. I cleaned the outside of the corrector and am going to open it up to clean the inside and mirror. It’s pretty cloudy. 
suggestions about mounting and visual back would be appreciated. I have a CEM40ec which I think should support it. But the VB has a set diagonal, it screws into the back. 
is it possible to get a Blue Fireball VB and screw it on to use a diagonal with or attach a ZWO to?

Attached Thumbnails

• AA639E4D-D8FD-4912-BE35-A009E1F82B45.jpeg
  • 6E57C4C5-E579-471A-ABF7-1B6A0901B8C3.jpeg
  • DB8077B4-6BD9-4E9C-8305-1A4CCEE031FE.jpeg

• FRANKVSTAR likes this

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Gemini

• Loc: Western Mass.

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:12 PM

Looks something like a Premier 2120. Came in 2 flavors--- f/10 & f/6.3.

• RogerRZ and Flyingsnow like this

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:29 PM

See…

https://skywatch.bra...ed/used_sct.pdf

I have both the 8” and 10” versions of this scope. They are fine performers _if_ they are precisely collimated.

Enjoy!

#4 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:44 PM

See…

https://skywatch.bra...ed/used_sct.pdf

I have both the 8” and 10” versions of this scope. They are fine performers _if_ they are precisely collimated.

Enjoy!

Very cool John! 
I did read some of your replies on a post from a few years back. 
Is the visual back supposed to separate? I’m talking about the large knurled piece. Does it separate like the newer ones to slip a diagonal into? Because as it is now the diagonal just screws out and I was reading that some older scts have “set” diagonals. 

#5 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Messenger

• Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:38 PM

Be careful when you remove the corrector plate to mark it's  position so you can put it back as it came,  otherwise the scope will not work as well or even worse you may never get a proper collimation because of a poor view. Just saying and I suppose you know that anyway. Good luck its a fine scope and gift.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:51 PM

Hmmm… there’s nothing special about the visual back on the f/6.3s. They are pretty standard. The only visual back that I have seen that was a bit squirrelly was on the original 1980 2080 LX.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#7 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:22 PM

Be careful when you remove the corrector plate to mark it's  position so you can put it back as it came,  otherwise the scope will not work as well or even worse you may never get a proper collimation because of a poor view. Just saying and I suppose you know that anyway. Good luck its a fine scope and gift.

Thank you Frank! 
Although I’ve never taken an SCT apart I have done extensive research. I was going to clean my 6” ACF but never got around to it because it looked like a lot of work. But this scope needs it and the 6” looked like it could be tight to fit a hand holding a cotton ball. 

Hmmm… there’s nothing special about the visual back on the f/6.3s. They are pretty standard. The only visual back that I have seen that was a bit squirrelly was on the original 1980 2080 LX.

I think I figured out the problem and was suspicious about it the whole time. 
The pieces appear to be stuck together. The main collar, knurled bolt and nosepiece from the diagonal. 
I can’t separate them. Who knows how long they’ve been like this 

#8 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:26 PM

This here

Attached Thumbnails

• 185D866C-88D6-43CC-80B7-173BB5C6039E.jpeg

#9 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:33 PM

Ahah! Some penetrating oil might be in order. See your local auto parts store for the real stuff. WD40 may also help.

#10 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 26 November 2022 - 10:22 PM

As for year of manufacture, it could be an LX6 (as it's f/6.3) or it might be a Premier (which had both f/6.3 and f/10). I base this on the 3 DIN plugs on the control panel - only the LX6 and Premier had this.

So your range is 1989 to 1991. If you compare your serial number to the list on the Meade LX Registry, you might get closer:

https://www.deepskie...x/registry.html

Clear skies!

Rick

• Flyingsnow likes this

#11 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:41 PM

Ahah! Some penetrating oil might be in order. See your local auto parts store for the real stuff. WD40 may also help.

Yeah I’ll give the WD40 a try first. I’m hoping it just needs a little help and not a lot. 
If I can get the VB sorted I will be very happy and finish with the restoration of this OTA. 

As for year of manufacture, it could be an LX6 (as it's f/6.3) or it might be a Premier (which had both f/6.3 and f/10). I base this on the 3 DIN plugs on the control panel - only the LX6 and Premier had this.

So your range is 1989 to 1991. If you compare your serial number to the list on the Meade LX Registry, you might get closer:

https://www.deepskie...x/registry.html

Clear skies!

Rick

Awesome thank you! I’m going to look for the serial and check it out. 

• Rick-T137 likes this

#12 Silent_Light

Silent_Light

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:42 PM

Believe it or not, Windex works wonders getting aluminium threads un stuck
  • m0bius likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics