•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAIR PLUS with Canon R5 mirrorless camera

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Diane Miller

Diane Miller

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, CA

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:14 PM

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.  I had just started up the learning curve several years ago with an Orion Sirius and a Canon 7D2 with several good lenses.  I got away from it and am just now getting a toe back in the water with a SkyWatcher EQM35 and a Canon R5 mirrorless body and a 100-500 lens.  I seem to be getting some decent results with both image quality and tracking, and am wondering about automating things with the ZWO ASIAIR PLUS.  I may get a dedicated astro camera next, but am hoping I can start with what I have.  I'm not sure the Canon R5 is compatible (at least yet).  The older DSLR Canon 5D Mk IV is listed as comparible, and I also have that body. 

Is anyone using the Canon R5?  

I'm also wondering if I can focus that lens (the new mirrorless 100-500) with the ASIAIR. 

Do I need a guidecam to see enough field to plate solve?  (I'll be using the lens at 300mm at first, then maybe up to 500mm or more with a teleconverter later.)  I never got far enough into things before to be guiding, so that would be another hurdle to jump over.

Any words of wisdom?  Thanks!

#2 daveco2

daveco2

Viking 1

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:59 PM

I used to use a modified Canon R with Air Pro. No problems.

The Air needs to work through their EAF (electronic auto focus) motor.  The motor needs to be connected to your lens somehow, maybe with a toothed belt as some have used with the William Optics Redcat.

Plate solve is done through the main imaging camera, your R5.  The guide camera only guides.

Edited by daveco2, 26 November 2022 - 08:01 PM.

#3 Diane Miller

Diane Miller

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, CA

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:05 PM

Thanks!  I can focus very accurately with Canon EOS Utility and a laptop, so can deal with that for now.  So far I've imaged through about a 20 degree F ambient air change with no change in focus so can put that off for now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics