•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Celestron Maks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 rydberg

rydberg

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:07 PM

I am a member of a Yahoo group on the Orions maks (OSAO). The question obviously came up: Who makes these new Celestron's Maks?
Everybody agrees they are identical to the Konus Maks, but a gentleman came up with a website for a bonafide Chinese OEM:

http://www.sunlong.org

Look at the scopes (which look nice) but cringe at the mounts...

#2 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

That's not the Celestron scope - wrong color! :winky:

It looks like they make some killer 50mm and 60mm refractors too. :jawdrop:

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:27 PM

Looks like the Celestron.

#4 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:49 PM

I don't think I'll ever want to get a Sunlong. Synta looks so much better. Pete

#5 John Hoare

John Hoare

I is who I is

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:45 AM

Quite a number of those products have a very familiar shape, the finishes are probably for prototypes or samples only so that the livery specified by individual clients can be added later. The good news is that they don't make the mounts, which suggests that that may not reflect overall product quality.

Don't the Maks also look like the Konus product?

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:00 AM

Hi,

Fear not everyone! Your guinea pig has arrived! I ordered one of the new Celestron 90mm Maks last week. I'm expecting it sometime today (June 8). Once I'm able to try it out, I'll post my impressions here. I own one of the older Celestron C90s (purchased in 1997) so I have something to compare the new model to. :grin:

#7 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:47 AM

Celestron actually makes alot of the scopes they send oout of the USA in white. It was realy weird seeing a G9.25 in Sydndey with its white tube, I did a doubletake LOL

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:55 AM

Hi all,

Well, I got the new C90 Mak today. It comes shipped in a nice fitted semi-ridgid case with partitions for all the included (and some aditional) accessories. I compared the new C90 to my old 1997 C90. Since it was light out, I focused on an antenna cluster on a nearby mountain peak. Both scopes produced nice images, but the older C90 seemed to give a significantly brighter image. Then came night time, and I compared the scopes on jupiter. Now I could really notice a difference in brightness and contrast. Jupiter seemed to focus much easier with the old C90, while on the newer version, it was hard to tell when the image was focused. I also noticed an ever present ghost image of jupiter with the new C90 (changing the eyepeice had no effect) while there was no ghosting in the older version. Star testing (well, daytime testing off some reflected sunlight on an antenna dish) showed that the new C90 was columnated well, but the internal flip mirror was out of alignment a bit, so that may explain some of its poor performance. Other not so surprising features are: The 8x21 finder is junk (as I predicted it would be), and the included 32mm plossel eyepeice isn't very good either. My overall impression; An OK scope for daytime observing, but fair to poor for astronomical use. I think the short-tube 80 refractors would be a better choice for the money. Well it was worth a try, but I think I'm going to return the C90 Mak for a refund. :smirk:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics