•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Posting guideline clarification needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

This inquiry regards posting guidelines from reputable cloudynights.com members who post information about vintage telescopes. First, many of our members (such as myself) have worked most of our lives in highly regarded industries and have accumulated either publications and/or international recognition and reputations.

Second, the purpose of the cloudynights forum discussion groups is to disseminate information, to the best of our knowledge, to other members of the group and to the astronomical community. [We would hate to see this tarnished by disinformation among responders.]

Lastly, from what sources, at the moderator's discretion, should group members be allowed to post data? This database includes but is not all inclusive of:

(A) Ebay.
(B) Craigslist.
© AstroMart.
(D) Personal collections of telescopes.
(E) Images of friends' telescopes.
(F) Images taken from star parties.
(G) Images taken from catalogues and other archived sources.
(H) Other?

I truly think that the moderator should take a firm stand and spell out the exact sources to be consulted and/or used.

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

I will take a firm stand. Read the TOS. If what you want to post complies with the TOS, then it is ok. That's as explicit as I can be. If you wish to pursue this topic, please PM me.

Terms of Service

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

I don't think I understand the question here.

I asked something similar (I think?) in another thread last week and the question went unanswered. I was asking if it is OK (and appreciated) if I post auction/sale links to interesting/unusual vintage optics.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

If you peruse the threads here, you'll see that a great number of them are about scopes on ebay and other such sites. We prefer that you post a link to the site for convenience rather than an ad number. Aside from that, we follow the TOS just like any other forum on Cloudy Nights. If you are not sure your post will be in compliance, then send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll discuss it.

#5 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

I asked something similar (I think?) in another thread last week and the question went unanswered. I was asking if it is OK (and appreciated) if I post auction/sale links to interesting/unusual vintage optics.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

After personally stumbling a couple of times, the TOS seems fairly clear to me. It is detailed and takes a while to read. My interpretation is that the spirit is one of maintaining a decent community, respecting ownership rights and users. I didn't see posting of links to vintage scopes or scopes for sale as an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Copyright needs to be respected and protected as well as ownership with regard to photos and original material. As such I would not copy something that John Siple wrote in his newsletter and post it here even if I think that is valuable information. Even if he gave me permission, I'd just direct people to where to find it as I doubt it's easily demonstrated that he gave me permission in this forum format.

The area that may be grey or perhaps it's legally clear is the area that I suspect classic enthusiasts are starving for. For sake of clarity of argument let's just say an ad or manual was 200 years old and it's clear the company that printed it no longer exists. What is the copyright on such materials ? Maybe there are heirs to company or relatives that own the rights....maybe someone can answer this. Since most telescope ads and manuals are not that old......while it may be grey, it could just be in the novice's mind, so I'd say it's best avoided would be my interpretation of the TOS.

#6 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

If you peruse the threads here, you'll see that a great number of them are about scopes on ebay and other such sites. We prefer that you post a link to the site for convenience rather than an ad number. Aside from that, we follow the TOS just like any other forum on Cloudy Nights. If you are not sure your post will be in compliance, then send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll discuss it.

oops, I was writing when you already posted this. Thanks for confirming anyway.

#7 microbes

microbes

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

I understand the question. I'm not so sure I understand the reason it was asked...

disseminate information, to the best of our knowledge, to other members of the group and to the astronomical community. [We would hate to see this tarnished by disinformation among responders.]

While I would never intentionally pass on bad information I would hate to think that because I have not "worked most of my life in a highly regarded industry" that I should hesitate to offer an opinion in a thread just because I might, due to inexperence, be in error with my thoughts and thus place CN in danger of being "tarnished by disinformation".

For sake of clarity of argument let's just say an ad or manual was 200 years old and it's clear the company that printed it no longer exists. What is the copyright on such materials ?

My understanding of that is that under current copyright laws that copyrights expire 75 years after the author's death and such things are then in the public domain. I think as far as copyrights that anything 200 years old is pretty safe, I would be more concerned with a 100 year old article, which may or may not still be covered by copyright.

#8 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:39 PM

Please understand that we have had legal professionals help formulate our TOS. Cloudy Nights is owned by Astronomics and we need to protect them from liability. Our rules may seem to be excessive, but I assure you that they are necessary. Although Astronomics owns CN, they really give the Admins and Moderators full reign in its operation.

#9 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:44 PM

Please understand that we have had legal professionals help formulate our TOS. Cloudy Nights is owned by Astronomics and we need to protect them from liability. Our rules may seem to be excessive, but I assure you that they are necessary. Although Astronomics owns CN, they really give the Admins and Moderators full reign in its operation.

OK Guys, I think DonW has made it quite clear that the reasons for the ToS are what they are. While they may be a bit cloudy to some it doesn't take a boatload of reasoning to understand what the intent is.

Astonomics has perpetuated CN for us, at no cost, and in my minor opinion, brought it back from the brink when Allister was reaching the end of his ropes, with respect to financials as well as his time consumption to monitor CN. I have been a long time subscriber/supporter of CN under Allister, both monetarily and spiritually. My annual monetary contribution (a gold member) in the end bought me nothing. When the change came I was nothing. My years of monetary contribution to support CN added up to zilch.

Be that as it may, CN is worth whatever it takes to support it, and enjoy it. It allows us communication for our love of vintage telescopes. CN it is a fabulous resource and there is nothing to argue about with regards to the ToS. It is what it is.

I don't agree with all the terms but hey, I'm free to go elsewhere. In other words, CN ToS! if you don't like the ToS. Get over it, as I have.

Don

#10 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

I too was wondering about the original question. When I initially read it, I felt I had walked blindly into the middle of an on-going discussion.

I figured it was best to shut up and see what would happen next.

I will continue to do so.

Keith (The TOS seem simple enough, even if I sometimes stray from the Path.)

#11 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

When CN was transferred over to Astronomics, many of us still had time left on our subscriptions through Allister. We were all given a credit towards merchandise in that amount with Astronomics. A great number of people just told Astronomics to keep it and put it toward setting up CN on their end.

That being said. This thread is not on topic for Classic scopes so I will lock it down. If anyone would like to discuss this topic further, please start a new thread in the Feedback Forum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics