•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 How far does your diopter adjustment dial travel?

Binoculars Equipment Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 frostedimposter

frostedimposter

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Panjab

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:32 PM

I bought my first binocular yesterday, the Action Extreme 7x35.

I haven't been able to get a clear image with both eyes open. I tried Prof. Ed's method of putting objective cap on one lens at a time and trying to set the CF wheel and the diopter dial. But nothing works.

I get a clear view if I close my right eye while watching through both lenses or if I watch through the left lens only with right eye.

I have a feeling my diopter dial is not travelling fully.

I am attaching pictures of the diopter dial in its two extreme positions.

Can somebody who owns the same bino confirm if that's actually how far the dial travels ? If so, what else could be the reason for the blurry image from both eyes.

I am a total newbie so kindly excuse any foolish mistakes.

Kind Regards,

Amit

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

• SMark and sevenofnine like this

#2 SMark

SMark

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:40 PM

I have a feeling my diopter dial is not travelling fully.

I have a feeling that you are right about that. See my pics below for reference. I purchased a new binocular awhile back that also seemed to stop short of proper focus at the right diopter. I gave the eyepiece a good grip and slowly, but with force, managed to work it past the block. And yes, it made a bit of a crunching sound as it went through it. It worked fine after that. So I don't know if I would recommend that you do that first, but certainly consider it an option for you. At a minimum, consider a return or an exchange.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9724.JPG
  • IMG_9725.JPG

• frostedimposter likes this

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:07 PM

Gee, I bought a refurb and didn't have that excitement. While I think  "crunchy" might be appropriate for food, optics, not so much!! Do you think it was a matter of additional grease or some aspect of the water resistance? Weird.. Regards, pat

• SMark, sevenofnine and frostedimposter like this

#4 SMark

SMark

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:28 PM

Gee, I bought a refurb and didn't have that excitement. While I think  "crunchy" might be appropriate for food, optics, not so much!! Do you think it was a matter of additional grease or some aspect of the water resistance? Weird.. Regards, pat

The binocular in question for me was my ShadowQuest, which is IF, so I knew that the focuser had to move a lot further than it was. All I can say is that it has been perfect ever since. And it was just the right focuser, the left one worked fine from the start. You would think that QA would have a "check focuser" sequence written into the procedure somewhere. But maybe not... shrug.gif

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Soyuz

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:54 PM

I have two Nikon AE binoculars and the right diopter adjusts the same on both. I assume yours does too. The adjuster works very smoothly but somewhat stiff. There's a raised dot on the adjustment wheel as well as two (!) knurled edges to grip it. The dot just tells you +0- on it the scale. It's important to use both knurled edges to get enough force to move the diopter adjustment though it's entire range of motion. Hope this helps you! borg.gif 

p.s. Mine move much further to the minus side than your photos. 

Edited by sevenofnine, 27 November 2022 - 09:56 PM.

#6 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kent (UK) & Limousin (France)

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:20 AM

The adjustment is for balancing eyes. 

Can you see clearly if you use either side independently? Put lens cap on each side and check each side with each eye?

I will check both my 10x50 and 7x35 AE to see how much adjustment can be made.

#7 frostedimposter

frostedimposter

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:03 AM

The adjustment is for balancing eyes. 

Can you see clearly if you use either side independently? Put lens cap on each side and check each side with each eye?

I will check both my 10x50 and 7x35 AE to see how much adjustment can be made.

I can only see clearly when I use the left side independently. I checked each side with each eye, only the left side works well with both eyes, the right side doesn't give a clear image with either eye.

Thanks

#8 frostedimposter

frostedimposter

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:15 AM

I have a feeling that you are right about that. See my pics below for reference. I purchased a new binocular awhile back that also seemed to stop short of proper focus at the right diopter. I gave the eyepiece a good grip and slowly, but with force, managed to work it past the block. And yes, it made a bit of a crunching sound as it went through it. It worked fine after that. So I don't know if I would recommend that you do that first, but certainly consider it an option for you. At a minimum, consider a return or an exchange.

I'll take it to the store next weekend then, don't have the courage to try to force it past the block :D thanks for the help

• SMark likes this

#9 frostedimposter

frostedimposter

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:18 AM

I have two Nikon AE binoculars and the right diopter adjusts the same on both. I assume yours does too. The adjuster works very smoothly but somewhat stiff. There's a raised dot on the adjustment wheel as well as two (!) knurled edges to grip it. The dot just tells you +0- on it the scale. It's important to use both knurled edges to get enough force to move the diopter adjustment though it's entire range of motion. Hope this helps you! borg.gif

p.s. Mine move much further to the minus side than your photos. 

Yes, I've tried holding both knurled edges and push it but it just stops in the position I showed in the picture. I tried with substantial force. 

Thanks for the info on your bino!

• sevenofnine likes this

#10 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kent (UK) & Limousin (France)

Posted 28 November 2022 - 04:39 AM

I can only see clearly when I use the left side independently. I checked each side with each eye, only the left side works well with both eyes, the right side doesn't give a clear image with either eye.

Thanks

Mine moves similar to SMark's but I would guess something is wrong with the optics inside as you should still be able to get a clear image through the right side using the centre adjustment for any difference in RX for either eye.

Definitely take them back and let us know how you get on.

• SMark and frostedimposter like this

#11 eyespy

eyespy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Canada

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:01 AM

Hi,

Can you focus the right side with the centre wheel ? Is it in a much different position than if you look through the left side and focus ? Do you wear glasses and if so, is the prescription much different for each eye ?

Doug…..

• Jon Isaacs and frostedimposter like this

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:27 AM

Thanks

If the right side cannot be focused sharply with the center wheel, then something is wrong other than the diopter adjustment.

What I find is that often the diopter adjustment is not "centered".  My eyes are identical, if I adjust the binoculars so both sides are sharp, then flipping them over so my right eye is looking through the left and the left looking through the right, the binos are still in sharp focus.

In this situation, the diopter adjustment should be centered but it's often off, sometimes nearly to the end of the range.

Jon

• eyespy and frostedimposter like this

#13 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Soyuz

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:07 PM

Yes, I agree with other members that say something is wrong with the binocular. It should shift much more to the minus side than shown in your photos borg.gif

#14 frostedimposter

frostedimposter

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:25 PM

Mine moves similar to SMark's but I would guess something is wrong with the optics inside as you should still be able to get a clear image through the right side using the centre adjustment for any difference in RX for either eye.

Definitely take them back and let us know how you get on.

If the right side cannot be focused sharply with the center wheel, then something is wrong other than the diopter adjustment.

What I find is that often the diopter adjustment is not "centered".  My eyes are identical, if I adjust the binoculars so both sides are sharp, then flipping them over so my right eye is looking through the left and the left looking through the right, the binos are still in sharp focus.

In this situation, the diopter adjustment should be centered but it's often off, sometimes nearly to the end of the range.

Jon

Yes, I agree with other members that say something is wrong with the binocular. It should shift much more to the minus side than shown in your photos borg.gif

You were right, good people of cloudynights! It wasn't just the diopter wheel but also the centre wheel which was not travelling fully.

I took it to the closest Nikon Service Centre which was about an hour away. The guy there told me they don't deal with binos and they'll just ship it to the main centre which is like 7 hours away. I requested him to take a look at it ateast. He started fiddling with the centre wheel and then I showed him the diopter wheel (he didn't know it was even there) He held it and as soon as he moved it I heard a click and the wheel started travelling fully. I had a feeling this was it and took the binos to go outside to test and voila! It was working perfectly. Both the centre and diopter wheel were travelling much much more than before and I was able to focus on objects near and afar alike! I never knew the centre focus knob can do such precise focusing. I was able to look through both lenses clearly. That was it, I went back home feeling happy and a little dumb but when I looked at the moon's craters at night, I was just, happy!

Thanks

Amit

Hi,

Can you focus the right side with the centre wheel ? Is it in a much different position than if you look through the left side and focus ? Do you wear glasses and if so, is the prescription much different for each eye ?

Doug…..

Thank you so much for your helpful comments!

Amit

• Jon Isaacs and Mr Smith like this

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:33 PM

Amit:

:waytogo:

That's great news.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Binoculars, Equipment, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics