•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostar suite on pc and hand unit slew to different location

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yomamma

Yomamma

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:06 PM

I installed the autostar suite on my laptop and configured my LX90 to be controlled by the program.

After alignment I clicked on Andromeda galaxy and clicked slew telescope. The scope came close but it was on the edge of view.  I then manually slewed away and then selected Andromeda galaxy from the hand set and it came up centered. Does the autostar suite use a different location database than the handset? I have gotten my alignments down to where DS objects almost always come up close to centered but when I use autostar it is off

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:44 PM

Gday Yomamma

The handset doesnt use precession and is based on J2000 coordinates.

If the ASSuite is working in Jnow, and sends coordinates to the handset ( vs a target )

then it might expolain the difference.

That said, using a galaxy as a test target isnt the best,

you should really test the accuracy using stars only.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#3 Yomamma

Yomamma

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:48 PM

Andrew.  

I ran a test and slewed the scope to a couple of stars using the handset and then selected the same star on autostar suite.  The RA and Dec values were close but definitely not the same.  It seemed that the handset values were spot on for DS while the autostar suite values were off a bit.

Thanks

Don

#4 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Viking 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:54 PM

Good day Don,

Why do you want to use Autostar Suite to control your LX90? I tried the app once and found it very user unfriendly, if I want to control mine via a laptop I prefer Stellarium because with it you can select J2000 coordinates and its very easy to work with. I think daylight savings time is someting that one should never use for astronomy because it can only lead to confusion, not true time but a temporary quasi time, keep to the true time for your time zone. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics