•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AM5-how to best use mount for planetary imaging?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamsdp

adamsdp

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:37 AM

I have a new AM5 mount that I got mainly for deep sky imaging and was thinking of how best to use it for planetary imaging.  I am a beginner and have done a few captures with my C8 on an Evolution mount.  One of the main challenges I found during these sessions is getting and keeping the planet in the sensor's fov.  The AM5/ASIAir app automatically centers the target in the sensors fov by plate solving and then correcting the position so am thinking that would be a big help but would I then be limited to using the planet capture tool available in the ASIAir app and if so how much of a drawback would this be?  

Also, I would like to leave me current ASIAir pro on my deep sky rig so was looking at the ASIAir mini but noticed it doesn't have a USB 3.0 port.  The camera I use for planetary imaging is the ASI224 so not sure how much having only USB 2.0 would be a limiting factor.  Any advice on good options will be appreciated!

Dave

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:08 AM

Do you even know if the AM5/ASIAir can successfully plate-solve with the small FOV and short exposure times typically used in planetary imaging? 

I'm not aware of anyone who uses the ASIAir (or ASI mini) for planetary capturing. A separate (more open) device with SharpCap or FireCapture is generally the way to go. That way you get USB3, more RAM and the ability to guide via corrections from the capture program.

• adamsdp likes this

#3 adamsdp

adamsdp

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:53 AM

Good point about the ability to plate solve with such a small fov and short exposure times.  I should experiment with it to make sure that is possible.  I didn't know that Sharpcap and Firecapture have guiding capability so that is good to know.

#4 millsbob

millsbob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Massachusetts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:43 PM

Do you even know if the AM5/ASIAir can successfully plate-solve with the small FOV and short exposure times typically used in planetary imaging? 

I'm not aware of anyone who uses the ASIAir (or ASI mini) for planetary capturing. A separate (more open) device with SharpCap or FireCapture is generally the way to go. That way you get USB3, more RAM and the ability to guide via corrections from the capture program.

i use the ASIAir Plus (which has USB3) for planetary, and i'm far from the only one crazy enough to do so. i also use Firecapture, and the main feature differences are the guiding in Firecapture and that i can get 2x the frame rate at a given FOV.

but given the horrific seeing here in central MA this summer into fall, the actual results from the two are often indistinguishable, and the AA+ is one helluva lot more convenient. i *do* often curse the lack of auto-guiding on the AA+, but it really depends on the apparent size of the object in relation to the image train whether that is a problem or not.

in practice, the rare nights of good seeing look great on both platforms, on mediocre nights Firecapture is much better, and on bad nights... bad seeing is bad!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics