•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First M42 vs now M42

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 UrsaMaatRa

UrsaMaatRa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:23 AM

Got my camera setup in March and worked out all the tweeks by July but by then the famous #m42orionnebula was well out of season. So those rare clear summer nights were short snd sweet. We are walking into winter now with those rare long, clear nights and the winter soldier #orionscontellation has returned. I plan on spending some nights in this region since it has so many exciting new challenges for my camera and telescope.
Ha = 36 x 300s
R = 20 x 180s
G = 10 x 180s
B =20 x 180s

Old M42

4hours canon 7d stock

šŸ–„ļø #asiair
šŸ“· #zwo294mmpro
šŸ”­ #heq5pro
#tsapo65q

Attached Thumbnails

• EDD37609-8826-4D50-A0B4-7A1A021781F8.jpeg
  • 6537D433-E091-44CC-AB29-5A0383CF7628.jpeg

• Bob Campbell, revans, Sheridan and 10 others like this

#2 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:02 AM

I haven't been able to redo some of my first images, but I keep going back and reprocessing them to try and make them better. I definitely like how you went back to one of your ealier targets.  It allows you to see for yourself how far you have progressed.  And the image is stunning.  great job.

• UrsaMaatRa and Robert7980 like this

#3 rgreenberg2000

rgreenberg2000

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo County

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:04 AM

Great to see the progression (and in such a short time, too!) I was actually thinking about posting something very similar, however, my first M42 was way worse than yours, and my current image looks about like your first one!

Thanks for sharing!

Rich

• DanMiller likes this

#4 KurtV

KurtV

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:37 PM

They are both excellent.

Your 'old' one looks a lot like the one I posted just last night.   

I think since you used a different process (adding the Ha) its not apples to apples really.   They are both great examples of the process in use.

I love the detail in the new one.  So much comes out of the dark with the narrowband.   But I love the visual light color of the older one too.  Those copper and grey clouds of the 'visual spectrum' is the way I like to see it.  That is just a personal thing tho.  Again, they are both excellent.

#5 RPitts62

RPitts62

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:38 PM

You definitely stepped it up a notch! You've captured a lot of detail for sure! I think you could do some reduction in the green channel as the stars have a green cast to them.

Nice work!!

Randy

• UrsaMaatRa and limeyx like this

#6 EPinNC

EPinNC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:01 PM

Excellent work, in both cases.  And what an improvement!  It's a good feeling, isn't it?

Your first is much better than my first:

r_pp_Orion-Nebula-1.0s-f5.6-iso1600-140mm-234frames_stacked-bge-ght-histadj-pcc-RTnr-GIMPlumcurv-GIMPsat-GIMPsharp-1500x1350px.jpg

Two years ago, a DSLR on a fixed tripod, 234 1-second exposures at ISO 1600.  This is a re-process -- I don't seem to have saved a processed image from then, but I did save the stacked ".fit" file.  I doubt my processing would have been as good two years ago.

• UrsaMaatRa likes this

#7 UrsaMaatRa

UrsaMaatRa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 02:08 PM

Its amazing what we can do nowadays. I still get excited at m42 with just a 7second exposure.
  • Sheridan and DanMiller like this

#8 UrsaMaatRa

UrsaMaatRa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2022 - 02:11 PM

Funny enough i tried pulling at the green channel but everything got a even worst magenta tint after. Funny to because green was my shortest data collection.

#9 RPitts62

RPitts62

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:17 PM

I don't know if you have the ability to separate the stars from the nebula, that would be a way to work on the stars without affecting what you have on the Nebula. Lots of folks recommend Starnet ++ or there is also StarXterminator that functions as a plug-in in Photoshop. I believe Starnet ++ is free, while StarXterminator costs about 70 dollars. Both allow you to separate the stars from the Nebula so they are on a separate layer allowing you to make color adjustments on one without affecting the other. Also, depending on the program you use, there might be a function for creating "masks". Creating a mask allows you selectively make adjustments to an area, like the nebula or stars, while leaving areas you don't want altered alone. Photoshop is really effective at creating masks, but other programs like Pixinsight might also do the same thing.

Randy

• UrsaMaatRa likes this

#10 italic

italic

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 November 2022 - 01:31 AM

Excellent work, in both cases.  And what an improvement!  It's a good feeling, isn't it?

Your first is much better than my first:

attachicon.gifr_pp_Orion-Nebula-1.0s-f5.6-iso1600-140mm-234frames_stacked-bge-ght-histadj-pcc-RTnr-GIMPlumcurv-GIMPsat-GIMPsharp-1500x1350px.jpg

Two years ago, a DSLR on a fixed tripod, 234 1-second exposures at ISO 1600.  This is a re-process -- I don't seem to have saved a processed image from then, but I did save the stacked ".fit" file.  I doubt my processing would have been as good two years ago.

You have exactly what I did two years ago. I just reprocessed my own first Orion widefield and found a lot more objects than I thought I had. Here's my comparison: https://imgur.com/a/PtLVMu0

In the first version I only see M42 and the tiniest wisp of the flame, but in the new version, I can see M42 (in more detail), Flame, Horsehead, M78, Witch's Head, and my favorite: Barnard's Loop. I don't even have flats for this data anymore, so I had to do background extraction before stacking.

To the OP: you have a great first M42. I'd be proud of that image today.

• EPinNC likes this

#11 UrsaMaatRa

UrsaMaatRa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:11 PM

You definitely stepped it up a notch! You've captured a lot of detail for sure! I think you could do some reduction in the green channel as the stars have a green cast to them.

Nice work!!

Randy

Thanks it helped now im gonna try starnet++

#12 UrsaMaatRa

UrsaMaatRa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:12 PM

RPitts62, on 28 Nov 2022 - 6:38 PM, said:

Nice work!!

Randy

#13 UrsaMaatRa

UrsaMaatRa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:13 PM

RPitts62, on 28 Nov 2022 - 6:38 PM, said:

Nice work!!

Randy

Attached Thumbnails

• 1EE48FF8-DAC5-4682-AB6A-7FDAA80ED933.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics