•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC1871

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TDPerry

TDPerry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:32 AM

I'm an old fart with old wonky eyes now (too much OC spray exposure during my career I guess).

Of these two processed images of IC1871, which appears better yes, i know they don't have a lot of artsy color to them, but I was trying some new processing in the processing of images.  I personally think the second has more "character".

Images were captured with an ASI533MM Pro using ZWO "premium" narrow-band filters (they came with the kit and will be upgraded in the future).

This was one of my first processed in PixInsight with 240s exposures (10 Ha, 6 OIII, 6 SII @ 101 gain, 50 offset)

IC_1871

This one was captured last night (11/28/2022) and processed in the same manner in PI except background neutralization was done.
210s exposures (29 Ha, 13 OIII, 6 SII @ 100 gain, 30 offset)

IC1871 - 11_28_2022

I realize... I still have a lot to learn, but am watching YT video after video.  I've been at it now for about 3 months and have only girded my loins within the last several weeks to face off with PixInSight.  Was trying to learn StarTools (which I have a license for) but figured might as well jump in with both feet if I'm going swimming in the deep end.

Edited by TDPerry, 29 November 2022 - 07:26 AM.

• F.Meiresonne, revans and mikewayne3 like this

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:00 AM

Mmm, that looks a part of the Soul. Nicely done imho. Could use a tad more stretching

• Skysmacker likes this

#3 TDPerry

TDPerry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2022 - 07:23 AM

Mmm, that looks a part of the Soul. Nicely done imho. Could use a tad more stretching

Thanks!

Like I said.. I'm a rank neophyte that is still learning PixInsight.... 

I'm lucky to even get color out of it!  lol.gif

I learned how to do that about a week ago.

The stretching was done in PI with the "masked stretch" option.  I have learned how to use Starnet++ to remove the stars.

I AM rather happy with myself that I'm at least advancing.

IC 1817 11282022 (stars removed)

Edited by TDPerry, 29 November 2022 - 07:30 AM.

#4 TDPerry

TDPerry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:17 AM

Why can PixInSight be SO intimidating.. it should INSTANTLY transfer it's knowledge of perfect operation to me as soon as I open it!  grin.gif

This is the last image with about 12 more Ha frames added and DBE used in PixInsight to tweak it.  Not a "lot" better, but to my tired old eyes it seems it may be, specifically in the blue wavelength.

IC 1871 (11302022) DBE

Edited by TDPerry, 02 December 2022 - 03:41 AM.

#5 smiller

smiller

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Washington (not BC!)

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:59 AM

Apply a bit of noise reduction on the nebula layer and the a bit more stretching and I think you’ll like what you see.

#6 Skysmacker

Skysmacker

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay Area CA

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

It's looking good. You have nice details coming out and stars look round near the center and well controlled. 

Start sinking a lot more time (as in hours) collecting data and you will be pulling some very nice details out. 

Nice work!

Edited by Skysmacker, 02 December 2022 - 12:07 PM.

#7 TDPerry

TDPerry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:54 AM

It's looking good. You have nice details coming out and stars look round near the center and well controlled. 

Start sinking a lot more time (as in hours) collecting data and you will be pulling some very nice details out. 

Nice work!

Thanks... and yes, I'm finding more captures are good... once I can get StellarMart OS and my mount to play together well I hope to grab more.  Right now, if I want a target in the east, it points west, and then vice versa.  Almost positive all my settings are correct and my date/time/location are also correct.  Last time this happened it was an EQMod driver issue.

But, here is my most recent with the same frames, but actually using some flats and bias for calibration.

IC 1871 New processed

• Skysmacker likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics