•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Compare Celestron NexStar SE and SLT

Beginner Celestron Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnCOS

JohnCOS

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:36 PM

I am looking to buy my first "real" telescope. I am comparing the Celestron NexStar 4SE to the 130ST. The 130SLT has a larger aperture and is $155 less. They are both fully automated computerized goto scopes. What does the 4SE have that is worth the extra money? For reference the 4SE is $599 and the 130SLT is $444. Thanks!

Edited by JohnCOS, 30 November 2022 - 12:37 PM.

#2 Minuam

Minuam

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 52° N 4° E

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:35 PM

I am looking to buy my first "real" telescope. I am comparing the Celestron NexStar 4SE to the 130ST. The 130SLT has a larger aperture and is $155 less. They are both fully automated computerized goto scopes. What does the 4SE have that is worth the extra money? For reference the 4SE is $599 and the 130SLT is $444. Thanks!

I do not have both so can not say.

4SE is 10.4 kgs and 130SLT is 5.91 kgs. So I would say that heavier would be better.
4SE has 40000+ database of objects while for for 130SLT, it is not mentioned. It is something to check about though it will net matter much because both are planetary scopes but both should be able to show you M31 and M42.
My 127SLT shows be both.
I would say 4SE seems more sturdy in terms of vibrations but for planetary use, but both should to be OK. But 4SE would be my choice. Even the tripod looks better.
With my 5SLT, I am able to track Jupiter’s moon shadows on Jupiter and I think 4SE should be able to do that as well but I Can not say for sure.
Other cloudy folks can clear that.
4SE is MAK which means it’s almost maintenance free. You can just start using it and you won’t be needing collimation much.
I would say that 4SE would be better for tracking and it is very important when you are looking at the moon for long time.

• JohnCOS likes this

#3 mlord

mlord

Soyuz

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:45 PM

The object database is a feature of the hand-controller, not the mount.  Both mounts have the same hand-controller, so both will have the same number of objects, 80% of which are probably too dim to see with either product.  :)

• JohnCOS likes this

#4 dcamp

dcamp

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:41 PM

Hi John,

I have the 130SLT and have had it for a few years and am pretty happy with it but if I'm honest, I wish I had held out and bought an 8SE.  I get budget constraints so I woun't try to talk you into the 8SE but I would seriously consider the 4SE over the 130 SLT.  Don't get me wrong, I like my 130SLT and it is a good starter scope.  The latest 4SE comes with one really great feature that I haven't heard many people talk about and newbs like myself wouldn't even have known that it would be important.  In the base of the standard mount, it has a built in equitorial wedge.  If you stick with this hobby for any length of time you are going to want to use an equitorial mount and with the 4SE, you will be ready to dip your toes in the water without any additional investment.

• JohnCOS likes this

#5 whizbang

whizbang

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:30 PM

The SE4 is a four inch Mak.  It does a great job on the moon and planets.  It is pretty gutless on DSO's, especially under light pollution (your signature doesn't state where you live).

I have tons of experience with the Celestron SE and Evolution mounts.  And no experience with the SLT's.

It is my understanding that the SLT was the first one introduced.  It was followed by the SE, the the EVO.  Each mount was improvement on the earlier one.  I would be skeptical of purchasing a SLT.

The best starter scope is probably the EVO6 --- an awesome mount with a great general purpose OTA.  Alas, it's a budget buster.

At a bare minimum, consider a SE5.  The SE mount is a step up and the 5 inch SCT is a better overall OTA than the 4 inch Mak .  The 5 uses a standard visual back and diagonal and the 5 enough light grasp for DSO's.

I am just not a fan of the Celestron SE4 optical tube.  It is gutless for DSO's.  So, you are limited to planets and the moon.  Instead of visual back threads, the 4 has a Micky Mouse built in flip mirror so you can use it straight thru or at 90 degrees.  I think the tube looks clunky.  And good luck cleaning the mirror when it gets dirty/dusty.

I don't mean to bad mouth the SLT 4.  Heck, one can do a lot more observing with one than without one.  But, just keep in mind that it is an economical starter scope with engineering and cost tradeoffs.

• dcamp and JohnCOS like this

#6 brlasy1

brlasy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:20 PM

The SLT is a decent mount for the money AND you can adapt a lightweight ED refractor to it without worrying about tube strikes at high angles because of the "outside" mounting of the OTA versus the "inside" mounting of the 4SE.

FWIW, I have a GT mount (same style as SLT, which I've also owned, but cheaper), a 4SE/mount (which I also use for my 114mm reflector EAA setup), and a 6SE on an Evo mount.  

Good luck.

Edited by brlasy1, 06 December 2022 - 09:21 PM.

• JohnCOS likes this

#7 JohnCOS

JohnCOS

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2022 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for all the feedback (Minuam, mlord, dcamp, whizbang, brlasy1). 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Celestron, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics