•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Field Flattener Back Focus with a Full Frame Mirrorless?

Astrophotography Equipment Imaging Optics
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aman Dude

Aman Dude

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: U.S.A.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:25 PM

I have the Sony A7IV and the Universal Astro Field Flattener for my William Optics ZenithStar 61ii. 

I am confused on back focus because I am not sure how to find it (even though I watched 3 tutorials on how to do this but they used dedicated astro cameras). The stars in the image of the field flattener elongated at the edges, so I need to adjust back focus on the flattener, right? How would I go about adjusting this? I also have the Optolong L-Extreme filter. Thanks!

Field Flattener:

https://optcorp.com/...ener-f-5-to-f-7

Edited by Aman Dude, 30 November 2022 - 04:27 PM.

#2 James Peirce

James Peirce

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:55 PM

Your flattener will have instructions for teaching 55mm of backfocus. In this case, it is the base adjustment implied by the adapter. Your backfocus is consumed in part by the flange distance of your mount (Sony E Mount) and the rest needs to be consumed by an adapter. In this case, the simplest solution would be a T-mount adapter, which extends from an astronomy-standard thread to Sony E Mount and consumes 55mm of backfocus in the process. That flattener will probably have T/M42 threads or maybe Wide T/M48 threads. The later is best for full frame. (Flattener offers M48 threads, I just saw.)

That said, I would not expect great correction from that flattener even with backfocus dialed in ideally. But, since you own it, you can experiment. It is a bit bizarre that it offers such a backfocus range when the flattener itself should define what is relatively ideal. And they don’t define an ideal starting point relative to telescope characteristics, that I noticed, so you will probably need to start at 55mm and adjust if that isn’t suitable (by adding, since you can only subtract with a short E Mount adapter).

If all else fails, this is the flattener paired to your telescope:

https://williamoptic...-flat61-for-z61

(Even with a quality flattener and perfect backfocus there will likely still be some noticeable concessions in star shape and rendering on the outside of the frame, and fairly significantly light falloff which will require proper flats to correct.)

Edited by James Peirce, 30 November 2022 - 04:56 PM.

• Aman Dude likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Imaging, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics