•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

looking for camera lens field-of-view previewer

DSLR Software
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 timelapser

timelapser

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:02 PM

Has anyone found software that can preview an SLR lens field of view on a sky map?  I'm imagining you'd specify the focal length (and sensor format) and the four sides of the fov would be overlaid on a planetarium-software map, with the sides generally curved according to the relevant map projection.  To help plan shoots, we should be able to drag the fov N-S and E-W by mouse, as well as rotate it.  The lens projection would be relevant as well, especially for fisheyes.

It looks like Stellarium can display a fov box, though I don't know if the sides are curved.  And it looks like the box can't be manipulated by mouse.

#2 mborland

mborland

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:24 PM

Stellarium does this.

--Michael

• David Boulanger likes this

#3 DanMiller

DanMiller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:34 PM

Stellarium does this.

--Michael

Stellarium Camera

Stellarium lens

Target 1FieldOfView

There is also a ocular field of view, which I beleive is what you would see through an eye piece.  for the camera, lens, and eye piece.  i guess if you would create your own eye piece of a magnification of 1, that would give you a curved field of view. 

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:20 PM

They don't do sky maps because every map pretty much is some what unique. What they do is the actual sky as that is what every imager needs not a map of the sky. I mean we are 22 years past the last sky positioning in the year 2000 so how accurate is a map going to be? We are almost at the mid-point of the next sky epoch in 2050.

#5 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:27 PM

Lots of options for this:

SkySafari

TheSkyX

KStars

Cartes du Ciel

Stellarium (as mentioned above)

• DanMiller likes this

#6 timelapser

timelapser

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.  In Stellarium the sensor view does give you a fov box on the sky, and you can set your own lens focal length.  But the sides of the box are straight, regardless of the projection used for the sky map.  Here's an example with an 8mm lens on a DX sensor:

stellarium-001.jpg

In reality, the sides of the fov of a real lens would appear curved, even strongly curved for very wide lenses, and the curvature has to depend on the projection used for the sky.  So Stellarium can't be accurately drawing the fov, especially for wide lenses.  That makes it harder to plan shoots precisely.

Another problem is that the curvature of the sides of the fov has to depend on the lens projection: the sides of the fov of an 8mm rectilinear projection lens will have different curvature than the sides of the fov of an 8mm fisheye (eg stereographic) projection.  But you can't select the lens projection in Stellarium.

There is also a ocular field of view, which I beleive is what you would see through an eye piece.  for the camera, lens, and eye piece.  i guess if you would create your own eye piece of a magnification of 1, that would give you a curved field of view.

Ocular view only gives a circular fov outline as far as I can tell, so it's not useful for planning SLR lens shots.

I may put in a request to Stellarium for better treatment of sensor fov's.  Or write my own code!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSLR, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics