•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Images of a simple Q4, black, Lab model

Catadioptric Equipment Maksutov Optics Visual Reflector Report Observing Classic Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:20 PM

Here are a few images of a simple Q4. It was brought about 40 years ago for optical company I worked at to test a mirror assembly.

The telescope has a 1/10 wave PV as tested on Zygo ( I don't have the report anymore). The scope was scrapped, since the project

was no longer being produced. I use for nature watching and if I need a quick observing scope to take. It's a f/15  (1,500mm) system.

The views are wonderful and sharp. Since the sun is active again and Mars is close, I plan some imaging, (simple, I am not strong processor)

The optics are still clean, the mirror is fine, the corrector is not coated, not an issue. Not a Questar, but it does the job.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Q4  11282022 RD copy.jpg
  • Q4 10 RD copy.jpg
  • Q4 20 RD 11282022 copy.jpg

• coz, TerryWood and Rustler46 like this

#2 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:46 AM

The GI in S/N means it was made in 1078. Lack of "C" at end of S/N means it is a traditional aluminum coating. I'm surprised at the lack of AR coating. Are you sure?? It would have been simple MgFl.

#3 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:46 PM

Made in 1978, that sounds about right. We were using a Questar, but the owner (company board member)

wanted it back, since he wanted to observe with it. I checked the scope again. The mac lens front surface

does not have a AR coating (it failed the color (lack of) and finger oil test, oil from your finger will show up

as "glow" changing the index) The back surface, hard to tell, a slight color appears really soft,

if that. If it does have a AR coating, it's very very thin. You can see it the lights in the lens image does

not have any or much color (it should be lite blue or purple for MgF2)  I would guess they may not have

heated the lens, which was the standard back then, it would have been a risk.

Maybe a cold coat of MgF2 is possible, but would not stick very well after a period of time.

In any case, the scope has fine optics, even if a simple model.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

• TerryWood likes this

#4 pairofdocs

pairofdocs

Lift Off

• Loc: Saint Louis MO

Posted 10 December 2022 - 01:45 PM

I have the Questar look-alike Quantum-4 and have found the optics to be outstanding. I rarely get to use the full potential of the scope due lousy local seeing conditions. I had the scope with me in the Marshall Islands during the KWAJEX field experiment and it was the only time I got see it’s full potential. It will be the last scope I give up

Edited by pairofdocs, 10 December 2022 - 01:45 PM.

• BGeoghegan likes this

#5 Spikey131

Spikey131

Gemini

Posted 11 December 2022 - 03:12 PM

I’m still looking for the black lab….snoopy2.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 8F95DF3E-E082-4AB4-A050-C74F3BA1E168.jpeg

• pbealo, NC Startrekker, JamesMStephens and 1 other like this

#6 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2022 - 06:30 PM

funnypost.gif    Got it.  bow.gif 

• Spikey131 likes this

#7 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 19 December 2022 - 11:48 PM

Here are a few images of a simple Q4. It was brought about 40 years ago for optical company I worked at to test a mirror assembly.

The telescope has a 1/10 wave PV as tested on Zygo ( I don't have the report anymore). The scope was scrapped, since the project

was no longer being produced. I use for nature watching and if I need a quick observing scope to take. It's a f/15  (1,500mm) system.

The views are wonderful and sharp. Since the sun is active again and Mars is close, I plan some imaging, (simple, I am not strong processor)

The optics are still clean, the mirror is fine, the corrector is not coated, not an issue. Not a Questar, but it does the job.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

Interesting, it does remind me of the Quantum 100.

#8 telescope200

telescope200

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: south eastern Pennsylvania

Posted 21 December 2022 - 07:37 PM

Interesting, it does remind me of the Quantum 100.

It is a Quantum 100. If dates are being read right this is #45 built in 1979 (based on this being #4 built in 1978). They probably used the same parts to build custom scopes, they wouldn't have had much leeway to machine all new stuff.

• BGeoghegan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Catadioptric, Equipment, Maksutov, Optics, Visual, Reflector, Report, Observing, Classic, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics