•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What OAG ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ninjageezer

ninjageezer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:04 AM

What OAG can be recommended to use with edgehd 8 ,I have a loadestar X2 and I'm awaiting a new Poseidon C camera to use with it.

I will be using the .7 reducer.

also will the ZWO EAF work on this scope ok.

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Vanguard

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° N, Utah

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:39 AM

I think the Celestron OAG is the best as it has larger prisms. I have heard ZWO was making a new "large prism" model soon. 

• Dynan and chili555 like this

#3 Xee

Xee

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:25 AM

I think player one have one too, that would be the best fit for you unless you have some inherent issue with it.

I opted for the Askar OAG, it gave me some issues getting the spacings right with the ZWO. The ZWO would have been better, but I wanted the bigger prism.

The Celestron OAG is great on all fronts, better than the others I've seen, especially that you can rotate it 360 from both ends, the downside is that is bulky.

The Askar is great, great build quality, and large prism, and its relatively slim, the downside is limited rotation on the camera side, 0 rotation on the telescope side and getting the proper backspacing was a challenge, with ZWO cameras but doable.

The Zwo, as far as I've read has a very tiny image circle, which in an OAG is a very very big problem.

Clear Skies 

#4 ninjageezer

ninjageezer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:38 AM

I think the Celestron OAG is the best as it has larger prisms. I have heard ZWO was making a new "large prism" model soon. 

I have been try for a few months to get a celestron oag but it seems its not made anymore.

#5 chili555

chili555

Explorer 1

• Loc: South Carolina, by the lake

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:46 AM

I have been try for a few months to get a celestron oag but it seems its not made anymore.

They are still made but in high demand and temporarily out of stock.

I got mine here: https://agenaastro.c...ider-93648.html

• ninjageezer likes this

#6 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Vanguard

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° N, Utah

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:01 AM

They do come up on CN Classifieds quite often.

#7 idclimber

idclimber

Soyuz

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:37 AM

The ZWO OAG-L has a larger prism that is well sized for the ASI174mm mini camera. I purchased it to replace the Celestron OAG for my scopes as it takes up a fraction of the backspace. While my SCT has a reducer that allows for this room, my refractors do not. Although the prism is not quite as large it is shaped closer to the size of this sensor so the field of view is very close to the Celestron unit and I have had no trouble finding guide stars with my 12" SCT. 

The only disadvantage is you can not rotate the OAG or the camera with the ZWO uint. I never did, so it was a non issue for me. 

The OAG-L is a perfect fit for a mono camera with a filter wheel. It bolts on the filter wheel and the filter wheel bolts to the newer style cameras like the 2600,2400 or 6200. It can also be used with the older style cameras like the 533mm or 294mm. 

Using the OAG-L with an OSC camera is more problematic but it can be done. You can either add a filter wheel on the 2600/6200 or you use an available adaptor. The main problem is you can not fit this with a filter drawer and stay in the 55mm backspace. You can add a filter by threading it in, but that is not very convenient.  ZWO needs to address this with a new filter drawer for the OSC camera like the 2600mc. ZWO also needs to redo their diagrams as they are a mess and not well organized and do not show all the options in once place. 

• DeepSky Di and chili555 like this

#8 michael8554

michael8554

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:46 PM

You don't need a 12mm x 12mm prism if your LodeStar X2 chip is only 6.4mm x 4.75mm, an 8 x 8 will be fine.

• ninjageezer likes this

#9 ninjageezer

ninjageezer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 02:19 PM

The ZWO OAG-L has a larger prism that is well sized for the ASI174mm mini camera. I purchased it to replace the Celestron OAG for my scopes as it takes up a fraction of the backspace. While my SCT has a reducer that allows for this room, my refractors do not. Although the prism is not quite as large it is shaped closer to the size of this sensor so the field of view is very close to the Celestron unit and I have had no trouble finding guide stars with my 12" SCT. 

The only disadvantage is you can not rotate the OAG or the camera with the ZWO uint. I never did, so it was a non issue for me. 

The OAG-L is a perfect fit for a mono camera with a filter wheel. It bolts on the filter wheel and the filter wheel bolts to the newer style cameras like the 2600,2400 or 6200. It can also be used with the older style cameras like the 533mm or 294mm. 

Using the OAG-L with an OSC camera is more problematic but it can be done. You can either add a filter wheel on the 2600/6200 or you use an available adaptor. The main problem is you can not fit this with a filter drawer and stay in the 55mm backspace. You can add a filter by threading it in, but that is not very convenient.  ZWO needs to address this with a new filter drawer for the OSC camera like the 2600mc. ZWO also needs to redo their diagrams as they are a mess and not well organized and do not show all the options in once place. 

can i ask why you cannot rotate the camera using the ZWO oag but you could with the Celestron ? sorry for sounding dumb but never setup an oag as yet .

#10 idclimber

idclimber

Soyuz

Posted 01 December 2022 - 02:54 PM

can i ask why you cannot rotate the camera using the ZWO oag but you could with the Celestron ? sorry for sounding dumb but never setup an oag as yet .

The ZWO uses either a bolted connection or a threaded one. Neither make it possible to rotate freely. The Celestron uses a dovetail connection between each adaptor and the main body of the OAG. This allows both the camera side to rotate but also the scope side. 

Rotation of the OAG can be handy if you need to rotate it around the main sensor to find a guide star. This does present a problem if the image circle is not large enough for the OAG to fit anywhere. As the sensors got larger and the guide camera like the 174 got more sensitive this options is less needed and more likely to cause vignetting. 

• ninjageezer likes this

#11 heydave

heydave

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:50 PM

I tried the small ZWO OAG on my 8EdgeHD, and it would only track fair, not great, on targets that were star rich. For way to many targets, it wouldn't track at all. Tried the ZWO OAG-L (12mm prism) and it was a PITA. Since I was using a ASI 2600MC instead of a mono camera and filter wheel, the only way it would work, was to bolt it to the focal train. Since I have multiple scopes, but only one camera, it was a major PITA to swap the camera from the 8HD to my other scopes. So I am now waiting for a Celestron OAG to arrive. I'd either wait to see if a new model ZWO OAG is a big improvement over the current line up, or get the Celestron. Or use the small ZWO and only shoot star rich targets. 

• ninjageezer likes this

#12 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:39 PM

I use a 5x2" EFW with my ASI 071MC OSC. I find it really convenient even though I don't always have it filled up completely. Currently it has a UV/IR, an L-eXtreme and a Dark filter. I'm considering adding a duo-band Sii Oiii filter. 

I have used the standard OAG with this EFW and camera and while it can be rotated and easily fitted and removed, I don't see these as advantages. The flanges that allow it to rotate are held in place by 3 thumbscrews. It's a source of tilt and there's always some movement. It can rotate into the field of view of the camera and cause shadows. A bolt on connection controls the alignment and eliminates movement. The larger field of view of the OAG-L and its camera "should" mean there's no need to rotate to find stars.

• ninjageezer likes this

#13 idclimber

idclimber

Soyuz

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:41 PM

I tried the small ZWO OAG on my 8EdgeHD, and it would only track fair, not great, on targets that were star rich. For way to many targets, it wouldn't track at all. Tried the ZWO OAG-L (12mm prism) and it was a PITA. Since I was using a ASI 2600MC instead of a mono camera and filter wheel, the only way it would work, was to bolt it to the focal train. Since I have multiple scopes, but only one camera, it was a major PITA to swap the camera from the 8HD to my other scopes. So I am now waiting for a Celestron OAG to arrive. I'd either wait to see if a new model ZWO OAG is a big improvement over the current line up, or get the Celestron. Or use the small ZWO and only shoot star rich targets. 

Unfortunately this part is buried in their website. It allows the use of the 2600mc with the OAG-L. 

https://astronomy-im...r-replacing-efw

Edited by idclimber, 01 December 2022 - 10:46 PM.

• ninjageezer likes this

#14 ninjageezer

ninjageezer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 05:48 AM

looking at trying the new player one OAG ,at least it will all play nicely together....hopefully .

https://player-one-a...ct/fhd-oag-max/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics