•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First scope

Beginner Dob Mount Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester NY

Posted 01 December 2022 - 02:52 PM

My first scope is a Dobsonian made from a GSO OTA.   The scope is attached with a single 1/4-20 machine screw which allows it to be removed easily for mounting on a GEM.  Each trunnion has a screw to adjust tension.  The tube can be easily balanced by loosening the rings.   The trunnions are some scrap pieces of brass sitting on teflon bearings which works rather nicely being smooth and easy to adjust.  The az bearing started as teflon pads running on a 12" LP record but it tended to be sticky and was replaced with a lazy susan bearing which seems to work well.   So far, I have looked at the moon, Jupiter, and Saturn which yielded better views than I was expecting using 9mm Delite eyepiece.   I started with a 10X50 guide scope but have changed to a Rigel Quick Finder.   The one thing I don't like about this scope is the weight which is a bit much to lug around.

Attached Thumbnails

• RIMG0890sm.JPG
  • RIMG0893sm.JPG

• Dave Mitsky, bbanicki, tttalinky and 15 others like this

#2 tony_spina

tony_spina

Soyuz

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:16 PM

Very nice work!

• Skyfisher likes this

#3 Ginchy

Ginchy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Paul, MN

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:22 PM

Very nice.  What size is your scope?

You could probably lighten the base some with some cutouts, but it looks so nice I'm not sure I would.

• Ryley and Skyfisher like this

#4 Pingu

Pingu

Mariner 2

• Loc: FL

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:22 PM

Very nice indeed. I do like the brass clutch. Adds a bit of uniqueness to your set up. Bravo👏!!!
  • Skyfisher likes this

#5 vtornado

vtornado

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:29 PM

It is a beautiful mount heart.png

• Skyfisher likes this

#6 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:37 PM

Very nice.  What size is your scope?

You could probably lighten the base some with some cutouts, but it looks so nice I'm not sure I would.

Thanks!  It's a 6" f6,  should have mentioned it !    I think some cut outs would help and look great but tough to do now with it all assembled

#7 rhetfield

rhetfield

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:44 PM

I am not visualizing the mounting concept, but do hope the OP is not putting the full weight of the ota on the 1/4-20 bolt alone.
  • Skyfisher likes this

#8 Stellar1

Stellar1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:50 PM

That is unique! i love that base and the fact you can balance the OTA easily, just when I thought I’ve seen it all.

• Skyfisher likes this

#9 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:52 PM

That's a nice mount. Well done!

• Skyfisher likes this

#10 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:54 PM

I am not visualizing the mounting concept, but do hope the OP is not putting the full weight of the ota on the 1/4-20 bolt alone.

No problemo.  I visualize everything which can be a problem.  smile.gif   The OTA has rings and a vixen style rail.  The rail sits on the center saddle with the single screw holding the rail to the saddle.   There is also a stop along one side of the rail for alignment.   Amazingly, a 1/4-20 machine screw is good for roughly a 2000# which would break the wood.   The whole mount is depending on glue joints frown.gif so hope the glue is strong.

#11 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Soyuz

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:56 PM

Great Job!! I love the homemade touch to a telescope. You don't see that everyday borg.gif

• Ryley and Skyfisher like this

#12 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:59 PM

That is unique! i love that base and the fact you can balance the OTA easily, just when I thought I’ve seen it all.

This was a result of wanting to save $$$ and not knowing much about astronomy/telescopes.  It was cheaper than a ready to use Dob.   I worked it out in CAD before building it.   I also liked the idea of being able to use the OTA on a GEM.  I have three hockey pucks I need to drill for use as feet on the base (would a Canadian approve?) smile.gif

• photomagica likes this

#13 photomagica

photomagica

Viking 1

• Loc: Calgary and Tucson

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:02 PM

This was a result of wanting to save $$$ and not knowing much about astronomy/telescopes.  It was cheaper than a ready to use Dob.   I worked it out in CAD before building it.   I also liked the idea of being able to use the OTA on a GEM.  I have three hockey pucks I need to drill for use as feet on the base (would a Canadian approve?) smile.gif

Canadian here - you have official approval to drill hockey puckswink.gif What an excellent scope - nicely done!

Bill

Edited by photomagica, 01 December 2022 - 04:03 PM.

• Skyfisher likes this

#14 Stellar1

Stellar1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:25 PM

LOL! all hail the hockey puck dob!

The cherry on that pie would be a couple of wood tube rings of the same wood, would be killer.

Edited by Stellar1, 01 December 2022 - 04:53 PM.

• Skyfisher likes this

#15 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:36 PM

LOL! all hail the hockey puck dob!

The cherry on that pie would be a couple of wood tube rings of the same wood, would be killer.

I'd like a 10" f5-6 and was thinking of building one since I like woodworking.   Looked into making a mirror but the blanks aren't much cheaper than a finished mirror set.   When all was said and done the cost of making a scope is more than just buying one.   This Dob is fun but now I know I should have gotten an 8-12".   Thinking about a 10" Explore Scientific truss Dob next.    My grab and go is an 80mm f7 refractor which I can grab and get to a decent site away from the city in about 45min.   I remember the beautiful night sky at Algonquin Park back in 1968.

• Stellar1 and Jethro7 like this

#16 Ginchy

Ginchy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:52 PM

I used hockey pucks on my dob base.  I glued them on with contact cement--no screws needed.

• Stellar1 and Skyfisher like this

#17 Mike Q

Mike Q

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Monnett Ohio

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:27 PM

Now you need a nice wooden setting circle and angle gauge for it.  Beautiful setup. 

• Skyfisher likes this

#18 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:25 PM

Now you need a nice wooden setting circle and angle gauge for it.  Beautiful setup. 

Thanks, good ideas.  

#19 Mike Q

Mike Q

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Monnett Ohio

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:10 PM

Thanks, good ideas.  

https://www.astrogoods.com/atm.shtml

This guy here makes some very nice setting circles.  I have one on my scope.  I attached it between the ground boards and the numbers go up in a clockwise direction.  It really is like having GPS for your scope 

#20 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2022 - 03:26 PM

https://www.astrogoods.com/atm.shtml

This guy here makes some very nice setting circles.  I have one on my scope.  I attached it between the ground boards and the numbers go up in a clockwise direction.  It really is like having GPS for your scope 

Nice but expensive for what it is.  Some free ones to print https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10393721 .

I have been using the compass function of my phone for direction and given that and planisphere, maps and most importantly, Stellarium on my laptop, I have been managing so far.   Stellarium is amazing for finding stuff in the night sky and I am hoping to link my refractor to it to run stepper motors for go to.   

My controller kit arrived in Rochester from the Ukraine yesterday so hoping it will be delivered later in the week   I may eventually do the same for the Dob since I have some spare stepper motors laying around.  I'm interested in controlling simple alt/az mounts with steppers and/or mechanically.  

#21 Ginchy

Ginchy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:17 PM

I used hockey pucks on my dob base.  I glued them on with contact cement--no screws needed.

Here's a pic.  I used youth pucks--they matched my paint:

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

• vtornado and Skyfisher like this

#22 Skyfisher

Skyfisher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2022 - 08:49 PM

Here's a pic.  I used youth pucks--they matched my paint:

attachicon.gifIMG_6331.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6330.JPG

Simple method that I may copy tomorrow afternoon !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Dob, Mount, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics