•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommend ASI Camera with gear?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joeytroy

joeytroy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:30 PM

I am working on my Foundations of Imaging Observing Program program https://www.astrolea...serving-program. I am currently working on my DSO's and almost done. I will have access to the following telescopes from my astro club

1. Celestron 8-inch SCT / Optics: 8-inch f/10 (2030mm focal length)

2. Lunt LS60THa Solar Scope / 60mm f/8.3 (500mm focal length)

I have never imaged solar or planets and will be using an ASIAIR and or a NUC to control the gear. Based on what I have seen using https://astronomy.to...ccd_suitability it looks like the ASI432MC should be OK using a 2x Barlow with the Lunt and no Barlow with the C8. Does this seem reasonable? 

#2 mehdymo

mehdymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:47 PM

For planets, you want your F-number to be 5-7 times of your pixel size in micron. You also want it to be very fast and don't need a large sensor. I think ASI462 would be a better option as it is very fast, has high QE, and its pixel size of 2.9 microns times 5-7 gives you the F-number of 14.5-20.3 so with a 2X barlow your SCT scope works well with it. No experience on solar though.

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:13 PM

For me, for planets, the 224mc is still the king. I've heard rumour of other newfangled gizmos with highfalutin names from far away lands, but I'm happy with the 224. I splurged on the 462mc 2 years ago but now I use it as a guide camera. That speaks for itself.
I think companies like ZWO can easily turn into companies like Apple who hawk their "incredible" latest phone or whatever to people who want the latest and greatest. Same with drone manufacturers a few years ago. Yes I know that technology improves exponentially a la Moore's Law, but you have to question their desire that you upgrade your device at an exponentially increasing rate. Maybe that's the cynic in me talking.
If you have all the money in the world, then splurge.
Maybe I'm stuck in 2018 but 224 is great. 462 has lousy colour results, and really disappointed.

I hope this helps.
If you're confused, I apologise.
  • mehdymo likes this

#4 Tulloch

Tulloch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:13 PM

The FAQ at the top of the page will give you some tips on how to capture the planets. The ASI432MM with its large pixels is not recommended for planetary imaging, there are far better ones out there at the moment (such as the ASI585MC).

https://www.cloudyni...ated-july-2022/

Andrew

• joeytroy likes this

#5 joeytroy

joeytroy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:47 PM

The FAQ at the top of the page will give you some tips on how to capture the planets. The ASI432MM with its large pixels is not recommended for planetary imaging, there are far better ones out there at the moment (such as the ASI585MC).

https://www.cloudyni...ated-july-2022/

Andrew

Of course read the FAQ and learn waytogo.gif thanks Andrew!

• Tulloch likes this

#6 mehdymo

mehdymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:34 PM

Good point Kevin, however 462 has the near IR capability for planets and colors can be corrected in postprocessing.

For me, for planets, the 224mc is still the king. I've heard rumour of other newfangled gizmos with highfalutin names from far away lands, but I'm happy with the 224. I splurged on the 462mc 2 years ago but now I use it as a guide camera. That speaks for itself.
I think companies like ZWO can easily turn into companies like Apple who hawk their "incredible" latest phone or whatever to people who want the latest and greatest. Same with drone manufacturers a few years ago. Yes I know that technology improves exponentially a la Moore's Law, but you have to question their desire that you upgrade your device at an exponentially increasing rate. Maybe that's the cynic in me talking.
If you have all the money in the world, then splurge.
Maybe I'm stuck in 2018 but 224 is great. 462 has lousy colour results, and really disappointed.

I hope this helps.
If you're confused, I apologise.

#7 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 02 December 2022 - 07:29 AM

I am working on my Foundations of Imaging Observing Program program https://www.astrolea...serving-program. I am currently working on my DSO's and almost done. I will have access to the following telescopes from my astro club

1. Celestron 8-inch SCT / Optics: 8-inch f/10 (2030mm focal length)

2. Lunt LS60THa Solar Scope / 60mm f/8.3 (500mm focal length)

I have never imaged solar or planets and will be using an ASIAIR and or a NUC to control the gear. Based on what I have seen using https://astronomy.to...ccd_suitability it looks like the ASI432MC should be OK using a 2x Barlow with the Lunt and no Barlow with the C8. Does this seem reasonable? 

You'd likely be better off editing your original post to preclude the solar aspect and then ask the solar-specific question in the solar imaging forum.  

I don't believe there is such a camera as the 432mc (but I may be wrong).  There's a 432mm (with a global shutter, successor to the 174mm), but that would be mono and would require filters and a filter wheel for planetary.

For planetary purposes, the best-value option is likely a 224mc ($180 from some vendors).

• joeytroy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics