•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So, how about last night?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:42 PM

~

Based on weather forecasts, I thought Tuesday night's observing would be my last for the next week, but by Wednesday afternoon it became apparent that this was not to be the case. Clouds were coming, no question, but I might get some eyepiece-time, beforehand.

The GM-8/Berlebach was still outside, so I mounted my Agema SD 120 near sundown, and hoped for the best.

Went outside at 1830hrs and immediately zeroed in on Saturn. The seeing was a solid good, with all-to-brief seconds of excellent, allowing me to up the magnification to 298x. I then simply adjusted my chair to allow me to park my eyeball at the eyepiece without effort, where I remained for some time, transfixed. This proved to be the best view during the current apparition. Titan and Rhea the only moons seen. I telephoned my neighbor, informing him that this was far better than what he missed the night before, and that a five-minute interruption of his current activity was definitely warranted. He acceded to my solicitation and felt well-rewarded, upon departure.

Noting the increasing clouds approaching, I moved on to Jupiter to discern the cloud formations there, and watched as Io slid behind the gas ball at 2000. No GRS available. alas.

On, now, to the 1st-quarter Moon, where I was able to ramp-up to 418 horsepower at the eyepiece, and love every minute.

By 2030, clouds began to enshroud our satellite, so I quit the field, satisfied.

Stopped for a moment at 1930 to capture the rig with this 30-second exposure. A plane makes its way across the sky, entering from the upper left.

IMGP4012 - Copy.JPG

• George Blahun Jr, pcrichmond and FredWagner like this

#2 George Blahun Jr

George Blahun Jr

Messenger

• Loc: Republic of Quaker Hill, CT

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for that report.  As an aside, do you live near a military base?  The contrail from the plane looks to be from a pulsed-type engine.

• DavidNealMinnick likes this

#3 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for that report.  As an aside, do you live near a military base?  The contrail from the plane looks to be from a pulsed-type engine.

~

Not too far from an Air Force Reserve base, though I suspect the 30-second exposure caught the plane's flashing lights during that period.

Edited by DavidNealMinnick, 02 December 2022 - 02:07 PM.

• George Blahun Jr likes this

#4 lwbehney

lwbehney

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2022 - 07:11 PM

I have one of these Agema scopes on order. It will be a couple of months before it arrives and I am already thinking of the Leo Triplet and other Spring galaxy targets. If I may, what is your favorite eyepiece for galaxy observing in your scope?

#5 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:37 PM

I have one of these Agema scopes on order. It will be a couple of months before it arrives and I am already thinking of the Leo Triplet and other Spring galaxy targets. If I may, what is your favorite eyepiece for galaxy observing in your scope?

~

I generally use TV T6s in whatever magnification frames the target most pleasurably (2.5 - 13mm), then jump to TV T5 16mm if called for. Beyond that, Masuyama 20, 26 & 32mm.

No favorite ep, here, I love them all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics