•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Image Sizing Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 njrusty

njrusty

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:18 PM

I am sooooo fed up trying to resize images to fit onto this forum!!!!!!!  How do you all do it???????

#2 bugbit

bugbit

Vendor - Octopi-Astro

• Vendors
  • Loc: west of seattle

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:29 PM

You can try Irfanview and it is free so you won't be out anything and it allows you to change stuff like image size or rotate etc. You can also get a plugin for it that will accept fit files. It is my go to.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:32 PM

Just do a google search- there are a number of free packages that will export with the size required. I use the "export as" in Photoshop- does a pretty good job of exporting to the required output size & required format.

#4 njrusty

njrusty

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:42 PM

Awesome, thank you all for the tips.

#5 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: NJ, US

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:44 PM

Every photo editing software allows you to resize images.

Also, here's a tip: use the gallery here. It allows you to upload an image up to 50mb. It will provide a number of different sizes (thumb, small, medium, large). It will almost always successfully resize your image (even the large one) to fit within the posting guidelines.

• dswtan likes this

#6 72Nova

72Nova

Supernova

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:49 PM

I post and browse cloudy nights from my iPad the most and use an app called “image size” which is very easy to use 

• smiller likes this

#7 smiller

smiller

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Washington (not BC!)

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:05 PM

I post and browse cloudy nights from my iPad the most and use an app called “image size” which is very easy to use 

I also use ImageSize on iPad.   On my computer I just “export as” and select the image dimensions and the JPEG compression to fit within the limits.  It becomes routine.  Having CN downsize it is not preferred, because CN will do some discrete large downsizing sometimes… it’s best to create a somewhat optimized CN allowed 1600x1200 <500kb image.

On my iOS Photos I have an “astro CN” directory where I store all of my CN sized Astro photos so if I need to post something from previous work, I usually have one already done.

yeah it’s some work… I do wish the CN’s photo upload system had a more optimal automatic cropping/downsizing algorithm or procedure.  But I love CN… not complaining… just wishing…

Edited by smiller, 01 December 2022 - 11:14 PM.

• 72Nova likes this

#8 BucketDave

BucketDave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:08 PM

I just bring a file into MS Paint and resize it to about 10% scale. It's a doddle. I use it to resize my latest astro photos, to use as my desktop.

#9 kathyastro

kathyastro

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:19 PM

When I am finished processing an image, I save it in three files: a full-size uncompressed (.xisf) file; a full-size .jpg image for Astrobin; and a reduced-size .jpg image for posting.  It is just part of my routine, just as much as noise reduction for example, and not particularly laborious.

• pedxing likes this

#10 dswtan

dswtan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:27 PM

FAQ. Visual guide for Gallery already mentioned: 

Screenshot 2021 05 29 114352

#11 jdupton

jdupton

Aurora

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:22 PM

njrusty,

I am sooooo fed up trying to resize images to fit onto this forum!!!!!!!  How do you all do it???????

Since you have PixInsight, it is pretty easy. Just perform the following steps.

1. In PixInsight, make a clone of the finished image you wish to post.
  2. Open the Resample process (Process | Geometry | Resample)
  3. Click the Track View icon in the lower right border of the Resample process.
  4. Set the Target px field the a size appropriate for a forum post. (I usually go for about 800 to 1000 pixels wide.) Ensure the Preserve Aspect Ratio box is checked.
    You should not be trying to post a full size image from the camera to the forum. For that, you upload to Astrobin or similar astronomy site and post a link only. Inside a Post, 1000 pixels wide is good, 1200 pixels is almost too large.)
  5. Apply the Resample process to the cloned image.

6. Perform a Save As on the resized image. (File | Save As)
  7. Select JPG as the file type and accept the file name or enter a new name and path.
  8. When the JPEG Options dialog appears, select the compression Quality you wish.
    Usually the 80 (%) works well for an image 800 to 1000 pixels across.
  9. Check the size of the saved file to ensure it is below the 500K CN limit.
    If you save the maximum dimensions possible (1600 pixels) you will probably have to reduce the compression Quality of the JPG to reduce the resulting file size.

This takes much longer to write up than to actually do.

You can also use the above process to reduce the image to 1600 pixels wide and then save it your Image Gallery here on CN. Then you can link to your Gallery image in a Post and CN will reduce the file size appropriately.

John

Edited by jdupton, 01 December 2022 - 08:27 PM.

#12 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:39 PM

All that is good advice....but the simplest way is to use the Snipping Tool to capture your screen, save the file on your desktop, and then send it up. 

The SNipping tool comes with Windows, but I am sure there is a Mac equivalent. 

Do you lose screen resolution? No. YOu are capturing a screen. SO, it has as much resolution as you will be able to use. 

Really simple pie for showing off the pic here on CN. Not great for high resolution, etc. But, CN's image posting size is no good for that anyway!

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics