•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

help required regarding Celestron PowerSeeker 60EQ 21043 telescope

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shaurya

shaurya

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:33 AM

can anyone tell me if Celestron PowerSeeker 60EQ 21043 is a gud telescope?

#2 UnityLover

UnityLover

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Suffolk county, bortle 7

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:48 AM

can anyone tell me if Celestron PowerSeeker 60EQ 21043 is a gud telescope?

whats your budget? The powerseeker isnt good, but might be the best in its price range.

#3 Mikeiss

Mikeiss

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:31 AM

I had the 70mm Alt AZ Powerseeker. It wasn't very good. The OTA was fair to passable, but the mount was pretty terrible. Unless you're on a really tight budget, I would stay away from that product.

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Soyuz

• Loc: E of San Francisco Bay and W of the Awahnee

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:39 AM

In either version this is a basic scope. The Alt-Az version is simpler to use. Is it worth $70? I was given one very similar to the EQ version along with the suggestion that I would grow to hate it. It was not very good, though I did enjoy the views of the moon and of Jupiter. It inspired me to find a better scope on a better mount.

There are no good $100 scopes and mounts, baring the rare super deal on a used scope. If you buy this one, enjoy it for what it is and don't toss in more money for extras, filters, better eyepieces. If you get hooked on the hobby, there are lots of choices and lots of advice to read and watch here on CN and on YouTube.

If you are buying it for a child or if the budget is limited, a table top Dob is a better choice for about the same price. Similar scopes are sold by several companies.

• JohnBear and UnityLover like this

#5 UnityLover

UnityLover

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Suffolk county, bortle 7

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:58 AM

An orion spaceprobe 76mm eq would be nice. Good eyepieces, good planetary view, decent mount. It will hold still, but will have some jiggles

#6 JohnBear  Happy Birthday!

JohnBear

Vanguard

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:17 PM

Shaurya, assuming you are new to astronomy, I have a couple of suggestions:

1.  If you live in the US (filling out your CN profile would help here), many public libraries and astronomy clubs now offer free loaner telescope kits of rather nice quality (including instruction books and eyepieces, etc.). These are usually a 114mm "tabletop dobsonian" which is an ideal telescope for most newbies.  

2. Good comprehensive astronomy books (like 'Turn Left at Orion' or 'NightWatch') are highly recommended as guides for new astronomers - again, available for free from most libraries. They will teach your about the MANY different types of telescope  equipment and 'excessories', as well as tech you how to find interesting things to view in the night skies,

3. Probably the best starter telescopes for newbies (especially younger people) are either a "tabletop dobsonian' or a 'small refractor on a 'solid Alt-Az mount".  These typically can cost under $300 new, and they can be found used for around $100 in the 80-114mm aperture range.  In addition, ordinary binoculars (7X30 to 8X50) are excellent and easy to use tools for leaning basic astronomy. One of my favorite, yet very simple, easy to use and very capable telescopes is the AWB Onesky (you get a lot of fun and useful telescope for $250). The Celestron First scopes or Skywatcher Heritage offer smaller, less expensive tabletop versions.

4. Many inexperienced  beginners will  opt for an expensive "computerized telescope"  only to find the requisite precision alignment process is very complicated, exacting and frustrating process (that also often requires some experience and knowledge of the skies). It is best to have experienced astronomers available teach a newbies how to use this type of equipment properly.. 

So, you really don't have to spend a lot of  money to get off to a good start in astronomy, but it Really Helps to understand that there is a real learning curve and are a LOT of options to be considered.  Joining a local astronomy club FIRST is on of the best ways to get stared and learn the basics before spending a lot of money on equipment.

I hope these suggestions helps to get you off to a good start in an amazing hobby! 

Edited by JohnBear, 02 December 2022 - 03:08 PM.

• vtornado and Astrominded like this

#7 vtornado

vtornado

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:38 PM

For around the $100 the best telescope can be found on craig's list and is most likely a

114mm f/8 newtonian. 

Things to look for.

1.25 inch focuser.

Beefiest mount you can find.

A few reasonable eyepieces.

Make sure the mirrors are shiny, not grey and or blotchy or filthy.

Make sure the tube length is the same as the focal length.

Check the mount to make sure the telescope can move in both axises freely.

Check the focuser for smoothness.  Look for signs of corrosion on any parts.

Ask to test the scope out before you buy.

You can post pictures here if you have questions.

Or Join an Astro club.  Sometimes they have nice scopes for sale,

they can also guide you in the purchase of a used scope.

+1 on AWB one sky.  

Edited by vtornado, 02 December 2022 - 12:39 PM.

• JohnBear likes this

#8 tony_spina

tony_spina

Soyuz

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:22 PM

If price is the driving factor then this current deal for the 76mm tabletop reflector for $55 with coupon will get you started 

https://www.amazon.c...3_t3_B0002CTZAC

• JohnBear and UnityLover like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics