•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need advise on carbon over foam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:48 AM

Im wanting to make a dew shield using 1” insulation foam cut into staves and rounded.

I then plan to wet layup carbon fiber onto the foam and wrap it in a peel ply bleed cloth and some shrink tape https://predatorcycl...ease-tape-5-yds

Would the heat required to shrink the tape cause the foam to melt? I really dont want to go to the effort of bagging here I just want a stiff light dewshield and already have the materials leftover from other projects - except the heatshrinking polyoeflin tape.  Would regular stretch wrap work if I cant use heat? I guess I could even just let it dry wet but there would probably be way too much resin stuck on the tube.

#2 PrestonE

PrestonE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:06 AM

Hola Wes,

You do Not state what material the Insulation Foam is made from.

It could be Polyurethane, Polyurea, Styrafoam, Blown PE, ect..

Depending on the type of material, would depend on whether the foam

would be affected by the heat applied to shrink the Shrink Tape.

The Shrink Tape says 175 to 300 Degree F to shrink.

Best Regards,

Preston

• calypsob likes this

#3 calypsob

calypsob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:30 AM

Hola Wes,

You do Not state what material the Insulation Foam is made from.

It could be Polyurethane, Polyurea, Styrafoam, Blown PE, ect..

Depending on the type of material, would depend on whether the foam

would be affected by the heat applied to shrink the Shrink Tape.

The Shrink Tape says 175 to 300 Degree F to shrink.

Best Regards,

Preston

Sorry its pinkfoam extruded polystyrene. Looks like it softens at 212 and melts at 464f

https://www.homedepo...-21UM/100320301

Edited by calypsob, 02 December 2022 - 11:40 AM.

• PrestonE likes this

#4 Couder

Couder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:44 AM

I've used thin Teflon, it bends fairly easily, you can drill holes and use small bolts/nuts or rivets. There are other types of this material, don't know the names. Just so you'll know what I'm talking about, one kind is used to roll dough out, it is the same thickness of what I used but mine was black. I believe this material is also used for DOB bearings.

#5 PrestonE

PrestonE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:31 PM

Sorry its pinkfoam extruded polystyrene. Looks like it softens at 212 and melts at 464f

https://www.homedepo...-21UM/100320301

Wes, If you have the Shrink Tape, you can measure with an IR thermometer the heat

Required to get the kind of Shrinkage that you want...

Since you will be doing a Wet Layup with the Epoxy and CF I believe it should work OK,

as you have the layer of Wet Epoxy and CF that has to be Heated above the Softening

Temperature of the Insulating foam...

The Epoxy at those temps will Set Rapidly...so some experimentation would be involved 

to see if you can Shrink the Tape before Curing the Epoxy enough that it would not allow

the Tape to Shrink.

Best Regards,

Preston

PS...we have used Heat Shrink Tape with Pink Foam and Epoxy in the past...though it was

with Epoxy Infusion Resin that has a Long Pot life...room temp 2+ hours.

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:06 PM

Wes, If you have the Shrink Tape, you can measure with an IR thermometer the heat

Required to get the kind of Shrinkage that you want...

Since you will be doing a Wet Layup with the Epoxy and CF I believe it should work OK,

as you have the layer of Wet Epoxy and CF that has to be Heated above the Softening

Temperature of the Insulating foam...

The Epoxy at those temps will Set Rapidly...so some experimentation would be involved 

to see if you can Shrink the Tape before Curing the Epoxy enough that it would not allow

the Tape to Shrink.

Best Regards,

Preston

PS...we have used Heat Shrink Tape with Pink Foam and Epoxy in the past...though it was

with Epoxy Infusion Resin that has a Long Pot life...room temp 2+ hours.

So for this type of layup should I order a low or high viscosity epoxy? I currently have some general purpose epoxy but im thinking I should get a slow cure epoxy instead but Im not sure if thick or thin epoxy would be ideal

#7 calypsob

calypsob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:01 PM

I think after watching this tutorial, I have decided I am not going to use wrap at all because the Styrofoam could be compressed, and then the new shield may not fit. I also think I have a better idea of what kind of epoxy I need now.

https://m.youtube.co...?v=0Yaggj16S08 

• PrestonE likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics