•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Ultima 2000

Celestron Cassegrain Equipment SCT Software
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skyguy62

skyguy62

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:01 PM

My complete original Celestron Ultima 2000 8" SCT equipment has been in storage for years, after the Y2K chip problem that prevented operation of the hand controller. Everything is in perfect working order except for the ability to control the instrument electronically. I now live close to a dark sky retreat in Florida and would like nothing more than to get it up and running again. Is there any hope? Best wishes and thanks.      

#2 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: Flagstaff

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:08 PM

I think you can just put in a pre 2000 year and everything should work fine EXCEPT solar system objects

Edited by J A VOLK, 02 December 2022 - 12:17 PM.

• CharLakeAstro likes this

#3 CharLakeAstro

CharLakeAstro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: At the Lake

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:44 PM

Correct.

There was an EEPROM available earlier from "Company7" with the Y2K correction. I had one of these EEPROMs in my spares, but I sold it to a guy here on CN.

Quite a few people (myself included) have moved their OTA to a GEM mount. This means that there are U2000 mounts kicking around basements, garages etc.

Perhaps put out a wanted ad to find either a complete mount, or just the EEPROM (which is socketed).

If the sticker on the EEPROM chip label indicates Version 15.5 or later then it is Y2K compliant. If less than 15.5, not compliant.

I think you can just put in a pre 2000 year and everything should work fine EXCEPT solar system objects

• Rick-T137 likes this

#4 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:05 PM

I used my U2000 for many years after Y2K. The only thing missing is solar system objects. Most of those show up in my finder scope just fine. The two star align still works and it still finds deep space objects.

• CharLakeAstro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Cassegrain, Equipment, SCT, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics