•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on a Nikon AF Lens

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Flrtrader

Flrtrader

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rockwood, Tennessee

Posted 03 December 2022 - 02:43 PM

I found a very nice Tamron AF 90-300 macro-zoom lens. I am curious if I could use this with any of my asi cameras om my regular rig? The DSLR I have now does not have interchangeable lenses. So I guess I'd need to buy a DSLR that did have. Other than that what might be the value if I considered selling it to someone else in our hobbie.

Pictures look very fuzzy  because of drastic resize but the lens is like new always in a camera bag.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20221129_220459.jpg
  • 20221129_220632.jpg
  • 20221129_220702.jpg

#2 LuscombeFlyer

LuscombeFlyer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 03 December 2022 - 03:06 PM

I've been pretty disappointed with the CA present, even in some fine older (but not ED) Nikon glass.

#3 Titan II

Titan II

Explorer 1

Posted 03 December 2022 - 03:43 PM

https://astronomy-im...all-asi-cameras

• Flrtrader likes this

#4 Flrtrader

Flrtrader

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2022 - 08:34 PM

Titan 2

Wow thats great, but it is Tamron lens. But I guess your saying they would make something for tamron? Also being an Autofocus lense how could the asi camera control that?

#5 Flrtrader

Flrtrader

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2022 - 08:36 PM

I've been pretty disappointed with the CA present, even in some fine older (but not ED) Nikon glass.

But it is not a Nikon Lens, and I see no blemishes or ab when I used the lens on my Nikon DSLR.

#6 Titan II

Titan II

Explorer 1

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:07 PM

Titan 2

Wow thats great, but it is Tamron lens. But I guess your saying they would make something for tamron? Also being an Autofocus lense how could the asi camera control that?

The title of the post says Nikon AF lens and the previous post says you used it on a Nikon DSLR.  It is a Nikon mount....correct?  The brand of the lens is not relevant.  Next, does the lens have a manual focus setting/ring?  They usually do.  It has to in order to work on the asi camera.  Then you need to deal with the aperture setting.  There are various ways to deal with that.  Check the mount and focus issue first.

In all honesty, I would not go out of the way to adapt it for AP use.  Google "Tamron AF 90-300 macro-zoom" for relative sale prices.  It is not much.

Edited by Titan II, 03 December 2022 - 10:54 PM.

#7 Flrtrader

Flrtrader

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2022 - 07:49 AM

The title of the post says Nikon AF lens and the previous post says you used it on a Nikon DSLR. It is a Nikon mount....correct? The brand of the lens is not relevant. Next, does the lens have a manual focus setting/ring? They usually do. It has to in order to work on the asi camera. Then you need to deal with the aperture setting. There are various ways to deal with that. Check the mount and focus issue first.

In all honesty, I would not go out of the way to adapt it for AP use. Google "Tamron AF 90-300 macro-zoom" for relative sale prices. It is not much.

Yes you are correct it was my mistake, it is a Tamron lense and it was used on my older nikon camera. It says auto focus so not sure if they are manual as well as AF... BUT I agree Im not going to go very far down this road. Maybe a Goodwill donation in my future!

Thanks for your patience 🙏

#8 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Apollo

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:54 AM

If I am not mistaken, macro lenses are optimized for better close focus photography and not great at infinity focus. So not sure if it would be a goid choice. I have a razor sharp Nikon 105mm f2.8 macro lens that is superb when shooting very small bugs etc but has huge cromatic abberations when shooting bright objects or stars. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Flrtrader likes this

#9 Flrtrader

Flrtrader

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 02:19 PM

Thanks,  

I agree but when I had my Camera and used the les it was amazing quality, zoomed in or out. On 300mm it was near flawless or I thought it was back then.  

If I am not mistaken, macro lenses are optimized for better close focus photography and not great at infinity focus. So not sure if it would be a goid choice. I have a razor sharp Nikon 105mm f2.8 macro lens that is superb when shooting very small bugs etc but has huge cromatic abberations when shooting bright objects or stars. Just my 2 cents worth.

#10 EPinNC

EPinNC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 06 December 2022 - 02:30 PM

... 90-300 macro-zoom lens...

My intuition tells me that this lens is trying to be too many different things in one package. 

A macro lens ("micro-" in Nikon-speak) is optimized for very small subject distances.  I have a Nikon 60mm AF Micro Nikkor, and it's an amazing old lens up close -- razor sharp, perfectly flat field, and zero chromatic aberration corner-to-corner.  For more distant subjects, like landscapes or astro, it's fairly good but I'm sure there are better.

I can see that a well-made 90-300 zoom lens might be nice.  But a long zoom lens that is also billed as "macro"?  I'm not so sure about that.  Something has to be sacrificed to try to make all that work.

#11 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Apollo

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:28 PM

Thanks,  

I agree but when I had my Camera and used the les it was amazing quality, zoomed in or out. On 300mm it was near flawless or I thought it was back then.  

Like i said… my macro 105 lens is absolutely awesome doing macro closeup work but is crap when at infinity focus for astro photos. So i bought a Rokinon 135mm f2 and it is awesome and fast and relatively inexpensive.

Edited by Kevin_A, 07 December 2022 - 12:30 PM.

#12 Flrtrader

Flrtrader

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:42 PM

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics