•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mele Quieter 3C mini computer USB-C power question

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PascalN

PascalN

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colfax, North Carolina

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:06 PM

I just bought a Mele Quieter 3C mini fanless computer to use on my AP setup. I have a question about the USB-C power which I hope someone can help me with.

The Quieter 3C has 2 USB-C shaped input ports - one is USB-C PD (Power Delivery) and the other is +12VDC only (no USB communications). I have tried both the supplied AC to 12V DC power supply which connects to the +12VDC input (via USB-C type connector) and a USB-C PD charger (for my MacBook Air) connected to the USB-C PD port. Both work fine in their respective sockets.

I also tried connecting the PD charger to the +12VDC input. As expected, nothing happens, because that port can't negotiate with the charger to provide power. Fine.

However - and here is my question: What if the +12VDC cable is accidentally plugged into the USB-C PD port? Will it go up in flames, destroy the circuit, or do nothing? Does anyone have any insight into this one?

Pascal

#2 PascalN

PascalN

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colfax, North Carolina

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:50 PM

Well, I think I answered my own question. At least as far as my concern about plugging the Mele supplied AC to 12V DC power supply into the wrong USB-C port. As I feared, I did eventually make the mistake of plugging the 12V USB plug into the USB-C data port (not the correct 12V only USB-C style port).

I did not think that the supplied power supply implements Power Delivery (PD), and is just a simple 12V DC connected to the USB-C type plug. I was worried that if that plug were to be connected to the USB-C data input that there could be bad results. However, when I did it, nothing happened at all. The Mele Quieter C USB-C data port just did not recognize that there was voltage applied. The light on the power button did not come on. But, nothing at all happened. I removed the mistakenly inserted plug and put it into the correct USB-C 12V only port. The computer was fine, and worked as usual. So, I have convinced myself that my worry was unfounded.

I can't speak to other user constructed USB-C style DC cords, but at least the Mele supplied wall wart DC supply doesn't cause any problem.

I hope this may be helpful to someone.

Pascal

#3 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Apollo

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 01:05 PM

It is nice to have confirmation that this is not a problem. I would have been very surprised if it was. I think (but do not know for a fact) that part of the USB-C power distribution spec protects against such problems. Does anyone know how this spec actually works? Will it protect against reversed polarity? What voltage levels will it protect against?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics