•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAIR preview speeds at Bin 1 on ASI294mm Pro?

Astrophotography Beginner CMOS Imaging Smartphone AP
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spartinlimitless

spartinlimitless

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:17 PM

Has anyone used any of the ASI Air models with a ASI294mm Pro on Bin 1? I want to pick one up some time soon since It will help a lot to get rid of the mess of wires I have going on. I only use my camera on bin 1, The resulting images are fairly large (90mb per file). Has anyone played around with this combo? Just wondering if the ASI Air will be showing previews at an extremely delayed speed or will the preview not be effected due to the ASI Air using some sort of thumbnails instead of full res images? Anything else I should consider with this camera when using an ASI Air?

Thanks ahead of time!

#2 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:13 AM

Moved to Beginning Deep Sky Imaging for a better fit to forum rules.

#3 Zambiadarkskies

Zambiadarkskies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zambia

Posted 04 December 2022 - 05:42 AM

Don't have a 294, but the air just stores a small jpeg alongside the FITS file and this is what gets sent to your phone/tablet for previews.

#4 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 04 December 2022 - 06:52 AM

It depends on how good your connection is. If you have have a good signal, it’s not tooooo bad. Probably 10sec or so. Still better than a full frame though.

Most of the time I use mine in bin2 mode, it performs a little better there. Depends on the pixel scale though. I’m getting ready to try it on my FMA180 for some wide-field shots. With that, even in bin1 mode, I’m still over 2.5”/pixel. I’m gonna shoot NarrowBand to keep the total amount of data down with longer exposures.

#5 soojooko

soojooko

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 December 2022 - 08:17 AM

With my ASI533 + Asiair in station mode with a good connection it takes around 2-3 seconds after the shot has been taken before it pops up on my preview screen. Considerably lower resolution than the OP, but it gives you an idea.

Don't have a 294, but the air just stores a small jpeg alongside the FITS file and this is what gets sent to your phone/tablet for previews.

I don't think this is true. The small stretched jpeg is used for the icons in the file browser only. The actual FIT image is what's sent to the preview screen, where it is then delayered and auto stretched.

Edited by soojooko, 04 December 2022 - 08:20 AM.

#6 James Peirce

James Peirce

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:06 AM

It is fast with a fast connection. But the catch? Getting a fast connection with the AAP over its default wireless connection is easier said than done, and some distance, positioning, or an obstruction can slow things down considerably even with the Plus. Personally, I use a travel router with it, which solves the issue completely. But it also doesn’t have to be much of an issue. Use Bin2 or whatever in preview mode for faster shots and downloads and skip the whole fuss. Since you keep the same framing, there is essentially no reason to use Bin1 in preview mode unless you want to zoom in right on the stars as they would be rendered in capture for some reason.

#7 reformedalpineskier

reformedalpineskier

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Yakima, WA

Posted 04 December 2022 - 11:49 AM

Has anyone used any of the ASI Air models with a ASI294mm Pro on Bin 1? I want to pick one up some time soon since It will help a lot to get rid of the mess of wires I have going on. I only use my camera on bin 1, The resulting images are fairly large (90mb per file). Has anyone played around with this combo? Just wondering if the ASI Air will be showing previews at an extremely delayed speed or will the preview not be effected due to the ASI Air using some sort of thumbnails instead of full res images? Anything else I should consider with this camera when using an ASI Air?

Thanks ahead of time!

You didn't say whether you'll be located at or near the scope or inside your house. A rat's nest of wires can happen either way!

Close to the scope with a wireless connection between an ASIAir and an iPad or phone, I think you'll be able to see every exposure if your Bin1 exposures are 10s or greater. Following is why I think you'll be fine at 10s subs. My explanation may also give you some other ideas about how you might set up your system if your primary imaging site is near your house, without testing different gear and several configurations. However, you might still have to try things different ways to get the job dome to your satisfaction.

I use my ASI 294MC Pro for EAA and typically shoot Bin1 and 10s exposures. My scope is always set up about 15 ft from my house, so I first added an access point (AP, ethernet connection) connected to my network on a wall by a sliding glass door in my kitchen less than 20 ft from my scope. I tried with the ASIAir+ connecting (wireless, 2.4 GHz) to the AP, with about 10 other 2.4 GHz networks competing with the ASIAir+. It's not ideal and transfer speeds were no great. That configuration delivered about 1 out of 2 or 3 10s exposures to my iPad (wireless connection to my network) as I was live stacking. It worked adequately most of the time, but when I'd point in a direction that put the scope between the AP and the ASIAir+, I'd sometimes lose the connection. 

Not satisfied with those results, I decided to mount an ethernet jack on the outside wall of my house in an all-weather box. I pulled another CAT 5e line from my router 45 ft away to the exterior kitchen wall near the scope. I now get 800+ mb/s transfers from the ASIAir+ to my router/home network. I relocated the AP from my kitchen to my living room area (which also has an ethernet drop for my AV gear) to improve the wireless speeds where I usually use my iPad to do my EAA observing. I routinely get wireless transfers to my iPad of about 40 mb/s, and I see every sub the camera shoots. I could shoot at about 5s and still see each sub in the stack.

If you need to have a wireless link between the ASIAir and your home network, a common solution is a CAT 5/6 cable to a range extender mounted on the tripod (so its signal doesn't get blocked by the scope) connected to your home network. But if your scope is situated where you can find a way to direct-connect your ASIAir to your network using CAT5/6, performance will be a lot better without disconnections.

I hope that answers your questions and gives you an idea what you can expect. Good luck!

Edited by reformedalpineskier, 04 December 2022 - 12:05 PM.

#8 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 04 December 2022 - 07:40 PM

I’ve got 3 ASIairs. The first one I bought has a very limited range,. The last two I bought late summer have much improved range. One is on a pier 75’ from the house, and I have no problems connecting inside the house (brick house). 

#9 JayRuhMe

JayRuhMe

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas

Posted 05 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

I had similar issues. What I have done to overcome this is I have installed a wireless repeater/bridge on my tripod. This allows my AAP and mount to talk directly over a close device for wireless guiding. This setup also allows me to connect my iPad directly to the tripod access point for super fast transmissions (ie loading AAP previews) and connecting back to the main network in the house when I go back inside. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, CMOS, Imaging, Smartphone AP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics