•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Late 60s Cave 10" f/7 restoration project

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Dave Cook

Dave Cook

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 05 February 2023 - 02:39 AM

Nice find!! Glad you rescued that, doesn't look too bad to me.  I use AeroKroil for penetrating oil, expensive but good and one can lasts an eternity.  Someday I gotta try Corrosion-X but it will be a long time before the Kroil runs out.  Setscrews can be a PITA but yeah I also stay away from screw extractors like the plague.  Heat and impact are your friends.  For those ones in the pedestal cap, you've got a steel screw in an aluminum casting, so they aren't rusting into a blob but can still be tricky to get out.  I usually just drill out setscrews carefully if they don't cooperate.  The whole latitude adjustment is under-designed, no real party foul to just drill them out a bit and tap for a larger setscrew if you want.  Sounds like you have that in hand already.

Counterweights are another story.  Those things are deeply recessed and it's a steel screw in cast iron so they can rust to perdition.  I think the suggestions above are good...  For the main dec shaft weights I think retaining them with those smallish recessed setscrews is somewhat risky anyway...my 1975 8" deluxe mount came with retaining collars with their own setscrews that are much easier to maintain and secure.  in your photos those aren't present.  For my project I've additionally put in a big washer with a sturdy retaining screw in the end of the dec shaft to make absolutely sure the weight cannot fall off and cause the tube to drop.  I know you want to avoid modifications, but it brings me a lot of peace of mind about protecting my OTA and irreplaceable mirror.  Sadly I can't say whether the retaining collars aren't period correct for your mount or if they're just missing, but I bet there are folks here who can.

For de-rusting I'd just go with either Evaporust or electrolytic rust conversion.  Results are fairly comparable, but electrolytic is way cheaper for big parts like the pier tube.  You can do it with any old tub and a $30 import DC power supply.  Five gallons of Evaporust will cost $100+.

Edited by Dave Cook, 05 February 2023 - 02:55 AM.

• tim53 likes this

#52 apfever

apfever

Cosmos

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:50 AM

I use AeroKroil for penetrating oil, expensive but good and one can lasts an eternity.  

I'm not going to get into lube brands. I think it's an ad nauseam discussion. It's that "eternity" part that pinged me. My first thought was that "eternity" is a hair steep. Heck, my last can only lasted me between 10 and 15 years. :)  Then the creepy thought hit me that if I ever end up with another can, it just might be the last can I'll ever need. Close enough and it made me chuckle.  I doubt I'll get any unless it shows up at an estate or garage sale. I don't do aviation stuff much anymore, haven't flown in over 2 years now, long expired all my ratings and registrations. It seems that every few years a few of us get together in the outback Rockies and sneak in some seat of the pants barn storming. This looks like a fun year.

• Dave Cook likes this

#53 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 05 February 2023 - 12:08 PM

Sorry about the cat.  frown.gif

I have a soft spot for kitties and it breaks my heart when I lose one.

Anyway, good luck with the set screws and beating the rain!

I too, know about cats. They seem to always want to know what you're up to. 

Clear Skies. 

Attached Thumbnails

• me and cat sm.jpg

• tim53, clamchip, PiSigma and 7 others like this

#54 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Vanguard

• Loc: High and Dry

Posted 05 February 2023 - 12:41 PM

They do that...

Attached Thumbnails

• CAT.jpg

• deSitter, tim53, clamchip and 6 others like this

#55 Dave Cook

Dave Cook

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:19 AM

That is one fantastic looking instrument...not to mention the color coordinated cat installation.

• tim53, mdowns and Craigar like this

#56 Craigar

Craigar

Messenger

• Loc: Lawndale, CA

Posted 03 July 2024 - 03:18 AM

I'll have you know, Tim's not saying anything about the other scope he was considering at the same time 

with the Cave 10".

Here, I'll let you in on it.

post-114112-0-43527600-1670180061_thumb.

Clear Skies. 

If I'm not mistaken, the guy under the eyepiece has lost his head .. He's "headless".. maybe I'm not looking it it correctly .. probably best to use averted vision undecided.gif

Edited by Craigar, 03 July 2024 - 03:20 AM.

#57 Craigar

Craigar

Messenger

• Loc: Lawndale, CA

Posted 03 July 2024 - 03:28 AM

They do that...

post-300069-0-57516500-1675618890.jpg

That's one of the nicest Cat posts I've ever seen, if you get about 3 or 4 of them on the bottom "platform" simultaneously it would be preetty good ballast! - as long as they don't decide to start kicking a flea when your about 10 minutes into an exposure...  one of mine would try to run into the tripod if I wasn't rubbing her enough - I think she figured out it got her much more attention than just running into my leg...

• deSitter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics