•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Esprit 100 vs. Vixen FL55ss Comparison

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:58 PM

This thread is a preliminary comparison of my Esprit 100 (w/ 2019 TSAPORED075, 413mm, f/4.13) vs. Vixen FL55ss (FF+FR, 237mm, f/4.3) on a tightly cropped NGC7822 (greater crop w/ FL55ss).  Both have been combined in FORAX, using the same camera (QHY268M) and filters (Astronomik 6nm NB).  The FL55ss crop is from the 1st target I shot in 2021 (Question Mark) with FL55ss, the BF has not been totally dialed in and the Vixen rotating adapter was introducing some tilt, but these problems are not of big concern on this small cropped area.  The Esprit crop is from a few months ago, and the Esprit is much more dialed in (having used it extensively since 2019). 

These images are not finished images and have been processed similarly (though the FL55ss version is lighter).  Both have NOT had any color adjustments, but have used Bill Blanshan's star minimization technique.  Starnet2 worked much better on the Esprit's color combine than on the FL55ss more undersampled combine, though SN2 worked better on FL55ss HaLum than on the FORAX combine.

Here is the Esprit 100 crop:

NGC7822_FORAX_Esprit.jpg

Edited by SilverLitz, 04 December 2022 - 01:19 PM.

• retroman2 and imtl like this

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:00 PM

Here is the Vixen FL55ss crop:

NGC7822_FORAX_FL55ss.jpg

• retroman2 likes this

#3 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:08 PM

My quick observations:

The Vixen FL55ss color balance is much more towards red, with the Esprit having more blue.  Overall, I prefer the Esprit's greater color diversity.

Esprit shows more detail (expected), but the FL55ss detail is surprising good for only 55mm aperture and significantly undersampled 3.3"/px image scale.

Esprit is still undersampled at 1.9"/px image scale, which shows on some small stars being blocky and "+" shaped. 

Vixen FL55ss has many more blocky and "+" shaped small stars (expected), but I prefer its rendition of the larger stars.

• retroman2 and Sky King like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics