•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wish to use a Daystar Solaredi H-Alpha scope in cold climate

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 abordage

abordage

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 December 2022 - 04:27 PM

Hi all;

This is my first post in a looooong time. If I am posting in the wrong section please let me know.

I am expecting a used Daystar Solaredi 60mm H-Alpha scope to arrive within a couple days. I live in NB Canada so with the upcoming winter months daily temps could go as low as - 25 deg C ( about - 13 F). There may be the occasional day when temps might get as high as 0 deg F . Is it possible to wrap a dew heater type strap around the drawtube of the scope right next to the tuning knob to apply enough heat to the tuner to make it work in cold temps? If so, can anyone recommend a good budget dew controller with a 3 or 4 inch heat strap? I will likely use the cigarette lighter plug in my car for the power source. Thx. Adrien

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 05 December 2022 - 04:52 PM

It would be best to put this question to the Solar Observing and Imaging Forum, as they might have a good answer to you.  Dew heaters may or may not have enough capacity to heat the filter unit past 50F at such a low ambient temperature, although there may be other options.  Clear skies to you. 

#3 OregonAstronomer

OregonAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Central Willamette Valley and Oregon High Desert

Posted 05 December 2022 - 05:05 PM

Beware of this unless you are planning on leaving the car running. Car batteries are not designed for deep discharge and a couple of dew straps can quickly deplete it enough to where it can no longer generate enough cranking voltage to start your car. If you plan on using 12 volts for the dew straps, you might want to consider a separate deep cycle marine battery or a LiFePO4 battery, both of which can discharge much further than a car battery (50% and 90% respectively) and be easily recharged at home.

Arnie

I will likely use the cigarette lighter plug in my car for the power source.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics