•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars RBG C14 f15 3/5 Seeing, 12/5/22

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sfugardi

sfugardi

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: MA

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:54 PM

It nevers fails - every time Mars reaches opposition the seeing tanks. Views with the 13mm Nagler and 10mm Pentax were pretty good. The baader contrast boost filter seems to work best on the Nagler but the Denkimier planet filter best on the Pentax. I have no idea how smaller fl Pentax is brighter than the Nagler but it is.

I had a tight 2 hour window last night at peak transit for average seeing and poor transparency and was able to capture 7 RGB runs stacking the best 5 50% sets in WJ. 90sec avis running 160fps with 290MM Astronomik filters and a 1.25x Vernonscope barlow at a fixed 60% histogram. No resizing or drizzling which never seems to work for my conditions. Hope you like it!

Regards,

Steve

PS: Good luck seeing the rare Mars occulation on the night of Dec 7!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2022-12-05-0452_1-Mars RGB 5 runs_web.jpg

• JMP, Kenny V., Jim Waters and 36 others like this

#2 MachMike

MachMike

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:00 PM

That is beyond a fantastic image!

Since there isn't any other comments currently.. and you mentioned the Mars occult.

Would you capture the moment using your planetary CCD or instead use an SLR through the scope. I'm struggling on which method to implement (I'm new to non-cellphone imaging).

#3 sfugardi

sfugardi

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:15 PM

Mike, thanks! Ideally I would clear my hard drive then run the color camera 224 or 462MC non-stop for 10min +/- occulation with my C14. However, that's not an option so I am planning to just view it with my 12.5" Portaball and simulateously image it with my Canon Rebel and 300mm f4 Nikon on a tripod clicking shots with my laptop. Usually I get clouded in on these rare events. 

Steve

#4 gregghallinan

gregghallinan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2022 - 10:19 PM

That's a beautiful image Steve.  Really well done!

• sfugardi likes this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:21 AM

Very nice work Steve..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• sfugardi likes this

#6 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Vanguard

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 06 December 2022 - 03:02 AM

Looks great Steve! waytogo.gif

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:24 AM

Great image.  Looking at clouds and rain on the 7th so my plans for the occultation have been squashed.

#8 sfugardi

sfugardi

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:26 AM

Gregg, Mo, John, I appreciate the compliments! This is the closest image I'll get to the opposition. With Mars practically overhead, average seeing is more forgivable than usual. However, centering Mars without the diagonal in high mag just before imaging is quite the back contortion...

Regards,
Steve

PS: Thanks for the likes!

#9 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:37 AM

Gregg, Mo, John, I appreciate the compliments! This is the closest image I'll get to the opposition. With Mars practically overhead, average seeing is more forgivable than usual. However, centering Mars without the diagonal in high mag just before imaging is quite the back contortion...

Regards,
Steve

I've been having the same problem so last week I added a green laser to my scope aligned with the finder and that gets me close enough for the finder (equipped with my ASI290MC camera) to be on chip.  Then I can use the finder reticle to put Mars onto the main camera chip.

• sfugardi likes this

#10 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:46 AM

Sweet image! Looks like you captured those southern cloud bands!

• sfugardi likes this

#11 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:59 AM

Regards,
Steve

Well-aligned right-angled, crosshairs-illuminated finder! Works to ease back strain at any elevation, although mine does require a small stepladder at some scope orientations. But the ladder serves double-duty as a platform from which to exercise the hairdryer on the corrector when imaging Mars this winter! :)

• sfugardi likes this

#12 banjo1000

banjo1000

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Plano, Texas

Posted 06 December 2022 - 04:51 PM

Steve, centering planets on a sensor became so much easier once I invested in a flip mirror. I used to be a contortionist too. It's nice to put some photons on the eyeball every now and then too.

• sfugardi likes this

#13 sfugardi

sfugardi

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:50 PM

Guys, thanks for the alignment tips! I use an old 8.8mm Meade rattling glass eyepiece for my alignment and when it is centered straight through, the camera is spot on. When I use the diagonal, the camera is never centered (I can't explain why). I do have green laser on my Christmas list. Contortions are easier earlier in the night...

Regards,

Steve

#14 R Botero

R Botero

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:27 AM

Absolutely great Steve 👍😎 Love the colours.

Roberto

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics