•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Okie-Tex, Nebraska SP or TSP?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Astro One

Astro One

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Bernardino County, CA.

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:23 PM

There have been posts on all of these star parties, but things change; for example light pollution and party organization.  I may attend the Okie-Tex and the TSP this coming year.  To me it looks like the Okie-Tex has a sky that is a bit darker than the TSP, what are your thoughts on that.  Another thing that I noticed is that Okie-Tex has a much better looking website than the other two star parties. What about speakers? Any tips will be appreciated. I will be attending, at least one of the above with an astronomy friend.  I hope that I get some good views through some larger Dobs than my 15." Views through 25" or greater would be awesome.  Will the owners of such scopes be agreeable to having an extra observer come over?  Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

#2 rsalva1

rsalva1

Explorer 1

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:50 PM

Can't go wrong with either Okie or TSP. Good speakers, food, activities, and over 300 best friends who love astronomy will be there.

• Astro One likes this

#3 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 05 December 2022 - 10:16 PM

I have been to both Okie-Tex and TSP lately.  Texas SP last in 2019, and Okie-Tex this past September.  Okie-Tex has darker skies, IMO, and a much more relaxed atmosphere.  There are more amenities nearby to TSP, plus McDonald Observatory.  From Okie-Tex, it's a 35 or so mile drive to a grocery store, Boise City, or Clayton NM.   Fort Davis and McDonald Obs are only a few miles from TSP.  It depends a lot on tastes, and whether you want to RV, tent camp, or stay in a motel.  Texas SP has more, and stricter rules.  ID gate checks, for example.  None of that at OTSP.

• CCD-Freak, Astro One and SNH like this

#4 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Aurora

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 05 December 2022 - 10:55 PM

There have been posts on all of these star parties, but things change; for example light pollution and party organization.  I may attend the Okie-Tex and the TSP this coming year.  To me it looks like the Okie-Tex has a sky that is a bit darker than the TSP, what are your thoughts on that.  Another thing that I noticed is that Okie-Tex has a much better looking website than the other two star parties. What about speakers? Any tips will be appreciated. I will be attending, at least one of the above with an astronomy friend.  I hope that I get some good views through some larger Dobs than my 15." Views through 25" or greater would be awesome.  Will the owners of such scopes be agreeable to having an extra observer come over?  Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Okie Tex does have slightly darker skies, not by much though, but it does not have amenities. You are sleeping in a tent. To many folks get up way to early and make way to much noise. If you do manage to sleep its hot by 9:00 or so. And the flies. My goodness the flies are terrible. 

For all its faults TSP is, to me, the better choice. Lots of places to stay. Dark skies. Decent food. No  flies. 

I will be there this year with my 25". You are welcome to observe with me!

• Astro One likes this

#5 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 05 December 2022 - 11:37 PM

I did not mention the house flies at Okie-Tex, but, yes, they were terrible.  I had a burger one afternoon, had to swat at flies with one hand while holding the burger in the other.  The dining room was constantly filled with flies.  The only place I have seen flies worse was at a stockyard.  Maybe it's a seasonal thing, being held late summer/early autumn.  The flies weren't as bad the other times I have attended, but those OTSPs were colder and later.  Every day this year was T shirt weather.   We spent one day at Black Mesa State Park, and the flies were extremely numerous there also.  There's flies at TSP also, with it being a ranch, but I don't remember them being as numerous as at OTSP.

• Astro One likes this

#6 Astro One

Astro One

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for the great comments!  What about the Nebraska Star Party? Any fans of that one? How would it compare with TSP? TSP is closer for me, I live in So. Cal. Oh, FYI I am a tent camper.

Presently it looks like I will be applying to go to the TSP.

#7 City Kid

City Kid

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:41 AM

I've been going to NSP since 2010 and I love it and recommend every one check it out. However I have't been to the other two so I can't compare them.

• David Knisely and Bob W4 like this

#8 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:42 AM

Nebraska Star Party is even more isolated than Okie-Tex. I have been to the site once.  No permanent meeting hall, which Okie-Tex does have.  Sand burs are worse at NSB than at Okie-Tex.   Don't know about flies at NSP; it depends heavily on nearby livestock.  Cattle around Okie-Tex are abundant. 

#9 David Knisely

David Knisely

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2022 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the great comments!  What about the Nebraska Star Party? Any fans of that one? How would it compare with TSP? TSP is closer for me, I live in So. Cal. Oh, FYI I am a tent camper.

Presently it looks like I will be applying to go to the TSP.

I have been going to the Nebraska Star Party for the past 28 years, and as star parties go, it is a bit different, in that it is less structured and more "family vacation" style without quite as many of the formal restrictions on where you set up.  Indeed, the area you have to set up in is huge (over 23 acres), so you can get "in close" to others along Dob Row, or strike out on your own to a remote spot where you can be relatively undisturbed.  People do make it into a vacation spot, as there are on-lake activities (swimming, boating, fishing, etc.) as well as things like golf (three nearby courses), nature preserves, and the canoeing/tubing trip down the Niobrara river.  It is farther away from cities or towns (nearest one is Valentine, about 30 minutes driving time to the northeast), so its skies are pretty dark.  In fact, the site of Merritt Reservoir State Recreation Area where NSP is held is now an IDA recognized International Dark Sky Park.  Valentine itself has multiple motels, stores, restaurants, gas stations, and other amenities, although nearby Merritt Trading post on the lake has a few items as well (food, park permits, fishing supplies, etc.).  For camping, there is the Snake Campground on the northern edge of the NSP observing fields along the shores of the lake (no power but with restrooms) but people also tend to set up tents in various areas of the observing fields.  It can get pretty warm during the day and sometimes fairly cold at night with occasional windy conditions that although occasionally bothersome, tend to keep the bugs away.  Mosquitoes are the main problem insect, although there may be a few flies now and then, but overall, I have been observing in worse locations.  If you go away from the main Dob Row area, there can be a few prickly-pear cactus (opuntia) plants that like to hide in the grass, so you should wear a good pair of hard-soled shoes when walking about.  Many of the late afternoon/early evening activities center on the large meal tent where the catered meals (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday) are served during the week and the door-prizes are handed out.  However, on Wednesday of the star party, the hub of activity shifts to nearby Valentine, Nebraska at the High School auditorium, where the Beginner's Field School, Astrophotography Contest, Swap Meet, pizza lunch, and the formal programs are all presented.  A number of people stay in motels in Valentine and drive to and from the observing fields at the Snake Campground, while others stay at nearby Merritt Resort on the northeast side of the lake or the Lord Ranch on the edge of the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge (about 22 driving miles east of the NSP observing fields).  Those who camp do so either in the Snake Campground or one of the seven other campgrounds at the lake, some which have electrical hookups for RVs.  All in all, I have enjoyed being at the Nebraska Star Party each year and look forward to our 30th anniversary event July 16-22nd, 2023 at Merritt Reservoir Dark Sky Park.  Clear skies to you.

24inchSunset2.JPG

Edited by David Knisely, 06 December 2022 - 09:44 PM.

• Illinois, Astro One and Bob W4 like this

#10 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Aurora

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:13 PM

One day when I retire I am going to do the star party circuit. NSP is at the top of the list. 

The main positive for TSP is accommodations. They have rooms. Real rooms with air conditioning and heat. And they are blacked out during the star party. Sleep! Precious sleep. When I was much younger I could function on little or no sleep. But not now. 

In all my years there I have never seen a bug problem. A few flies around the horse pens but nothing around the rooms or eating areas. 

• Astro One and SNH like this

#11 Astro One

Astro One

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2022 - 01:03 PM

Thank you to everyone for the great information.  Especially appreciated was the detailed report by David Knisely on the NBS.

Having given the matter a lot of thought I have decided not to attend any of the three star parties I was considering.  This is because of the following:

1.  A long drive from So. Calif.

2.  Weather is unpredictable

3.  There is no perfect star party, e.g., we can't control insects or unpleasant smells.

Instead of going so far I am looking at going to closer places that are even darker than any of the star parties.  In a separate post I'll be writing about the Massacre Rim of NW Nevada.  

As you guys get out to the big star parties I wish you the very best of conditions.  In my absence enjoy the big scopes, the speakers and the fellowship of other amateurs.

All the best,

Steve

#12 rcdk

rcdk

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 December 2022 - 08:38 AM

Okie-Tex does have a nearby state park where you can enjoy creature comforts, but it is a good 15-20 minutes from the actual star party. I love the laid back atmosphere.

Ft Davis is awesome for family activities for those not interested in observing, but TSP leadership is far too controlling/micromanaging. In my interactions with some of them they can be almost confrontational and want you to know they are in charge. Not all of them are that way, but enough to kind of sour the experience.

Okie-Tex leadership is far better and the skies are darker. Okie-Tex is a much better star party, TSP is in a much better location.
  • John Fitzgerald and Astro One like this

#13 SirHumHum

SirHumHum

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2022 - 05:21 PM

To elaborate the subject of darkness at TSP, the light pollution has fallen by about 20% since 2020. The light dome from the Permian Basin doesn't extend above 30 degrees, so unless you're looking very low in the northeast it isn't much of an issue. Okie Tex is a bit darker as an all-sky average, but for targets "above the muck" there is no detectable difference. Still, it's an eyesore to see the glow on the horizon. 

The area was also certified earlier this year as the Greater Big Bend International Dark Sky Reserve, the largest IDA-certified place in the world. 

UTMO220922_fullres_1_HA000.jpg

• ollie31770 likes this

#14 George N

George N

Cosmos

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 15 December 2022 - 02:10 PM

Interesting discussion for someone like me who has not been to any of the three.... yet.....  wink.gif

I do have friends who have been to both TSP and Okie-Tex several times - they all liked both.

Nobody mentioned that they all are at different times of the year - different parts of the sky available for the first 3 or 4 hours after dark when most people are at least most 'excited' if not most alert. That would make a bigger difference to me than the issues mentioned.

The other issue not mentioned - 'star party' or your own private dark-sky observing trip? The two are certainly different experiences.

#15 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Aurora

Posted 15 December 2022 - 08:41 PM

Interesting discussion for someone like me who has not been to any of the three.... yet.....  wink.gif

I do have friends who have been to both TSP and Okie-Tex several times - they all liked both.

Nobody mentioned that they all are at different times of the year - different parts of the sky available for the first 3 or 4 hours after dark when most people are at least most 'excited' if not most alert. That would make a bigger difference to me than the issues mentioned.

The other issue not mentioned - 'star party' or your own private dark-sky observing trip? The two are certainly different experiences.

The issues mentioned are only issues if you let them be issues. I've been going to TSP regularly since '93. I volunteer and help out where I can but I don't get into the politics of the star party. I have a great time each and every year. Can't wait to go in May.

You are correct that most of the star parties are spread out through the year so one can pick and choose which party suits their needs. TSP is a much different type of star party compared to most others because of the onsite accommodations, namely bunk houses and motel rooms. Plus the food. Lunch and dinner everyday for hundreds of people. Not always the greatest food but its dependable and mostly pretty good.

I'm always pleasantly surprised at how smooth the Star Party actually goes. 

Edited by Keith Rivich, 16 December 2022 - 09:36 AM.

• George N and rsalva1 like this

#16 Starlancer

Starlancer

Mariner 2

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:14 PM

I have been to NSP twice now and coming from Chicago it is the closest darkest site I can get to.  I really enjoy the NSP, easily one of the darkest sites around.  

I have had no bug issues the two years I was there almost no flies and very few mosquitoes.  This maybe because there does always seem to be wind, which is something to be aware of for observing, there is little to block any wind.

Skies at night are freaking amazing but weather seems quite variable, last year there were really only 2 good nights but I suppose that can happen anywhere.

Food is good if you purchase with the star party, lots of door prizes (I haven't won lol) great people and they do have a public star party one night.

I will say one negative is the road from the site to the main road, it's paved but cracks running across it every 40 feet or so for a couple miles so it's like a wash board.  They attempted to patch it but it did very little, it will test your collimation!

I would really like to go to Okie but it's quite a bit farther for me and this is the 30th year for the NSP and from what I've heard they are planning special events?

Also it's very laid back, if you want to camp hundreds of feet from someone else you can and no one will bug you, but you can also setup by dob row and get a lot more action. 

No one has ever asked me to move once I picked a spot, everyone was courteous about setting up.  I stay in a hotel in town and have had no issues about driving out at night as long as you park in the early bird area.  Everyone is pretty good at preserving night vision.  Lasers are allowed so you'll see them but everyone is quick with it.

Edited by Starlancer, 20 December 2022 - 02:26 PM.

• Bob W4 likes this

#17 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 24 December 2022 - 11:56 AM

Do you prefer spring ( TSP), summer (NSP), or fall (OkieTex) skies

question.gif

#18 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 24 December 2022 - 07:34 PM

Late spring/early summer.

• DeanS likes this

#19 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Mariner 2

Posted 28 December 2022 - 12:13 PM

Never been to Nebraska. I have been to TSP and Okie-Tex.  My vote goes to Okie-Tex without even thinking about it too hard!!!  Great sky, great observing field and nobody looking over your shoulder.  Driving into town for supplies can be a lot of fun-golden eagles, bobcats, snakes, and plenty of deer.  The people who run Okie-Tex are fantastic!!

• DeanS, Joe F Gafford, JimMo and 4 others like this

#20 Backyard_nighTsky

Backyard_nighTsky

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 4

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:05 AM

I have been going to the Nebraska Star Party for the past 28 years, and as star parties go, it is a bit different, in that it is less structured and more "family vacation" style without quite as many of the formal restrictions on where you set up.  Indeed, the area you have to set up in is huge (over 23 acres), so you can get "in close" to others along Dob Row, or strike out on your own to a remote spot where you can be relatively undisturbed.  People do make it into a vacation spot, as there are on-lake activities (swimming, boating, fishing, etc.) as well as things like golf (three nearby courses), nature preserves, and the canoeing/tubing trip down the Niobrara river.  It is farther away from cities or towns (nearest one is Valentine, about 30 minutes driving time to the northeast), so its skies are pretty dark.  In fact, the site of Merritt Reservoir State Recreation Area where NSP is held is now an IDA recognized International Dark Sky Park.  Valentine itself has multiple motels, stores, restaurants, gas stations, and other amenities, although nearby Merritt Trading post on the lake has a few items as well (food, park permits, fishing supplies, etc.).  For camping, there is the Snake Campground on the northern edge of the NSP observing fields along the shores of the lake (no power but with restrooms) but people also tend to set up tents in various areas of the observing fields.  It can get pretty warm during the day and sometimes fairly cold at night with occasional windy conditions that although occasionally bothersome, tend to keep the bugs away.  Mosquitoes are the main problem insect, although there may be a few flies now and then, but overall, I have been observing in worse locations.  If you go away from the main Dob Row area, there can be a few prickly-pear cactus (opuntia) plants that like to hide in the grass, so you should wear a good pair of hard-soled shoes when walking about.  Many of the late afternoon/early evening activities center on the large meal tent where the catered meals (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday) are served during the week and the door-prizes are handed out.  However, on Wednesday of the star party, the hub of activity shifts to nearby Valentine, Nebraska at the High School auditorium, where the Beginner's Field School, Astrophotography Contest, Swap Meet, pizza lunch, and the formal programs are all presented.  A number of people stay in motels in Valentine and drive to and from the observing fields at the Snake Campground, while others stay at nearby Merritt Resort on the northeast side of the lake or the Lord Ranch on the edge of the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge (about 22 driving miles east of the NSP observing fields).  Those who camp do so either in the Snake Campground or one of the seven other campgrounds at the lake, some which have electrical hookups for RVs.  All in all, I have enjoyed being at the Nebraska Star Party each year and look forward to our 30th anniversary event July 16-22nd, 2023 at Merritt Reservoir Dark Sky Park.  Clear skies to you.

attachicon.gif24inchSunset2.JPG

This honestly sounds quite appealing to me, being an Omaha resident. I am however a bit apprehensive, as my anxiety gets the best of me sometimes.  Meeting new people, cost of the trip, needing a state park permit, making sure I am fed along with any family that comes with, will weather be gracious to make the trip worth it, will it be too humid and make my imaging terrible. 

it all snowballs and I second guess going haha. But I do want friends in this community. I am as of right now always going out alone and listening to coyotes that are too close for comfort 

#21 David Knisely

David Knisely

Posted 09 January 2023 - 02:22 PM

This honestly sounds quite appealing to me, being an Omaha resident. I am however a bit apprehensive, as my anxiety gets the best of me sometimes.  Meeting new people, cost of the trip, needing a state park permit, making sure I am fed along with any family that comes with, will weather be gracious to make the trip worth it, will it be too humid and make my imaging terrible. 

it all snowballs and I second guess going haha. But I do want friends in this community. I am as of right now always going out alone and listening to coyotes that are too close for comfort 

Have you talked with people from the Omaha Astronomical Society?  They have quite a bit of experience, not only with observing away from the city lights, but with helping run the Nebraska Star Party.  I generally look at the star party as a chance to meet up with a lot of friends from all over the country, so if it is cloudy, we just hang out and have fun socially.  I also help out running the Nebraska Star Party's Beginner's Field School to help beginners get their feet wet in our hobby.  Otherwise, I observe from local state parks to get away from city lights, so I get a yearly state park permit anyway.  Coyotes are never much of a problem, as they don't like to get too near people and usually are just a distant noise source more than anything else.  I remember one night when I was out alone at our club's dark sky site south of Lincoln when a few coyotes were coming up in the area.  I decided to scare them a little, so yelled out the loudest blood-curdling scream I could manage, and they all ran away as if their tails were on fire, which made me almost fall down laughing my head off!   Clear skies to you.  

Edited by David Knisely, 09 January 2023 - 02:23 PM.

#22 Backyard_nighTsky

Backyard_nighTsky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2023 - 03:00 PM

Have you talked with people from the Omaha Astronomical Society? They have quite a bit of experience, not only with observing away from the city lights, but with helping run the Nebraska Star Party. I generally look at the star party as a chance to meet up with a lot of friends from all over the country, so if it is cloudy, we just hang out and have fun socially. I also help out running the Nebraska Star Party's Beginner's Field School to help beginners get their feet wet in our hobby. Otherwise, I observe from local state parks to get away from city lights, so I get a yearly state park permit anyway. Coyotes are never much of a problem, as they don't like to get too near people and usually are just a distant noise source more than anything else. I remember one night when I was out alone at our club's dark sky site south of Lincoln when a few coyotes were coming up in the area. I decided to scare them a little, so yelled out the loudest blood-curdling scream I could manage, and they all ran away as if their tails were on fire, which made me almost fall down laughing my head off! Clear skies to you.

Very good! I’ve had to run ins with coyotes, but as my car is my power source, I typically honk the horn and they go running.
I’ve tried emailing them about the public star parties but never got a response.
Tonight should be perfect clear skies and I do plan to go out by the platt river on hwy 31 where it’s bortle 4, to image the wizard nebula tonight before the moon rises. If you’re in the area you’re welcome to join!
Eventually I will get through my anxiety and work up the courage to meet everyone I suppose, but until then I am taking baby steps. Maybe nsp will be that time.

#23 George N

George N

Cosmos

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:15 PM

Very good! I’ve had to run ins with coyotes, but as my car is my power source, I typically honk the horn and they go running.

I have them in both of my NY yards - snow is full of coyote tracks. I've heard them at Cherry Springs - add: fox, deer, bears, and my most feared North American mammal - the Skunk! All quite common around here.

At my Adirondack camp I can add: lots more bears, a few moose, at least in the distance - screaming lynx - and NY Dec confirms that some of those 'coyotes' in the ADK are now 99% gray wolf DNA.

Still - my most feared nighttime visitors remain the skunks..... wink.gif

• Bob W4 and Backyard_nighTsky like this

#24 David Knisely

David Knisely

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:58 PM

I’ve tried emailing them about the public star parties but never got a response.
Tonight should be perfect clear skies and I do plan to go out by the platt river on hwy 31 where it’s bortle 4, to image the wizard nebula tonight before the moon rises. If you’re in the area you’re welcome to join!
Eventually I will get through my anxiety and work up the courage to meet everyone I suppose, but until then I am taking baby steps. Maybe nsp will be that time.

I find the lack of response puzzling.  I would keep trying (the OAS outreach coordinator is John Johnson and he is *very* responsive to inquiries).  I would also plan on going to their public meetings which are usually held on the first Friday of each month at Durham Science Center, Room 169, on the UNO campus, S 67th and Dodge Street entrance.  If you are ever in the Lincoln area on the last Tuesday of the month, the Prairie Astronomy Club meets at Hyde Memorial Observatory at 7:30 p.m.  Hyde is located on South Shore Road in Holmes Park in southeast Lincoln, Nebraska.  We are also open to the public on Saturday evenings from 7 to 10 p.m. unless near a major holiday.  Clear skies to you.

HydeDeck8-6-22opening.jpg

• Backyard_nighTsky likes this

#25 Backyard_nighTsky

Backyard_nighTsky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2023 - 01:53 PM

I have them in both of my NY yards - snow is full of coyote tracks. I've heard them at Cherry Springs - add: fox, deer, bears, and my most feared North American mammal - the Skunk! All quite common around here.

At my Adirondack camp I can add: lots more bears, a few moose, at least in the distance - screaming lynx - and NY Dec confirms that some of those 'coyotes' in the ADK are now 99% gray wolf DNA.

Still - my most feared nighttime visitors remain the skunks..... wink.gif

On monday I had one racoon in the dead tree watching me. He didn’t seem to mind much haha

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics