•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

repair softening old stiff vinyl straps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LoveWillSteerTheStars

LoveWillSteerTheStars

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2022 - 11:55 PM

Anyone try soaking stiff vinyl straps in some sort of conditioner?

Old bins often have perfectly strong straps but they have taken a tangled bent set & need to be limp again.

You could stick most of a strap down the neck of a spray bottle of conditioner & let it soak.

Anyone know a good trick to "unbuttoning" a strap that is thru the bino loops?

Without buggering up the plastic button?

I've used a small screwdriver to open up the long slot & manipulate the button thru it.

Edited by LoveWillSteerTheStars, 05 December 2022 - 11:58 PM.

#2 columbidae

columbidae

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:11 AM

As far as I understand, vinyl conditioners like ArmorAll mostly just clean and provide a protective layer on the outer surface.  It will slow UV and oxidative damage, but it cannot reverse it.  Leather conditioners work by a different mechanism  and can help a dry and stiff leather become pliable again, but even then, everything does eventually wear out.

Personally, I'd look into finding a nice replacement strap, for comfort and safety's sake.  If the current strap's worth preserving for other reasons, it might be better preserved off the binocular anyway.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Hubble

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:32 AM

Problem with plastics is that they degrade irreversibly. That "new car smell" is the essential esters forever wafting away. I guess I could be wrong... but that's a rare occurrence.    Tom

#4 drd715

drd715

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:35 AM

Boil them

#5 LoveWillSteerTheStars

LoveWillSteerTheStars

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2022 - 01:27 PM

Boil them

If they are of a thermoplastic formulation, that might be helpful.  Then dunk 'em in conditioner while still hot.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics