•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dec 5 Jupiter and Saturn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:17 AM

Rain cleared this morning and even though we had dew (we made the news with flooded streets) I was able to set up and image with the IR/UV cut filter for the first time.

Used the 11" f/5.7 and 2.5x Powermate with the ZWO 224MC camera. No ADC on Saturn and it shows but it came out better than I expected. For Jupiter I have the sharpened png directly out of AS!2 and a Registax sharpened jpeg from the unsharpened stack for comparison. 

First the sharpened stack of Saturn straight from Autostakkert3. It's a stack of 40%.

18_52_29_lapl6_ap48_conv.png

I'll post the Jupiter images in a follow-up post.

Mike

Edited by Mike Spooner, 06 December 2022 - 12:25 AM.

• JMP, Kenny V., RedLionNJ and 5 others like this

#2 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:22 AM

Now for Jupiter - 1st as it came sharpened out of AS!2 and then a jpeg sharpened in Registax.

19_27_56_g6_ap93_conv.png

Now the jpeg:

19_27_56_g6_ap9Link40R6_12-5-22.jpg

The keyboard was soaking wet so I shut down before Mars was high enough for more than a couple of rough captures. 

Definitely not used to dew!!

Mike

Edited by Mike Spooner, 06 December 2022 - 12:22 AM.

• JMP, Kenny V., Dean Norris and 5 others like this

#3 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:53 AM

Progress, Mike I like that :)

There are a couple inconsistencies above (and an aesthetic matter):

AS!2 or AS!3? I see both mentioned. AS!3 is significantly superior to AS!3 in speed, memory management and goodness knows what else beneath the hood.

It's advised not to carry out any operations on JPEGs, unless it's purely for display purposes. Stick to 100% lossless storage formats once you've stacked, like 24-bit TIFF or 24-bit PNG.

More black space around the planets (add it right before publishing) costs very little but makes a ton of difference to the aesthetics.

Saturn (not your Saturn, but Saturn in general) is weird. Even though it hangs low in the south, I can often get sharper data from Saturn than I can from higher, brighter Jupiter. Go figure. You're not alone.

Best Wishes,

Grant

P.S. A cardboard box with appropriate pieces cut out (or made into flaps) is great at preventing dew on computers. I have my laptop inside a "laptop tent" which I got off Amazon and it really works great, as well as insulating sufficiently to keep it warm enough in winter. I use a second monitor in my observatory setup and I stapled a large, horizontal triangle of heavy cardboard to the walls in the corner where it sits - that works to keep dew off that monitor.  My USB3 hub has an old t-shirt doubled over a couple times and placed over it to keep dew/frost out of the connections :)

• Mike Spooner likes this

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:13 AM

Progress, Mike I like that smile.gif

There are a couple inconsistencies above (and an aesthetic matter):

AS!2 or AS!3? I see both mentioned. AS!3 is significantly superior to AS!3 in speed, memory management and goodness knows what else beneath the hood.

It's advised not to carry out any operations on JPEGs, unless it's purely for display purposes. Stick to 100% lossless storage formats once you've stacked, like 24-bit TIFF or 24-bit PNG.

More black space around the planets (add it right before publishing) costs very little but makes a ton of difference to the aesthetics.

Saturn (not your Saturn, but Saturn in general) is weird. Even though it hangs low in the south, I can often get sharper data from Saturn than I can from higher, brighter Jupiter. Go figure. You're not alone.

Best Wishes,

Grant

P.S. A cardboard box with appropriate pieces cut out (or made into flaps) is great at preventing dew on computers. I have my laptop inside a "laptop tent" which I got off Amazon and it really works great, as well as insulating sufficiently to keep it warm enough in winter. I use a second monitor in my observatory setup and I stapled a large, horizontal triangle of heavy cardboard to the walls in the corner where it sits - that works to keep dew off that monitor.  My USB3 hub has an old t-shirt doubled over a couple times and placed over it to keep dew/frost out of the connections smile.gif

An inconsistancy? AS!3 is significantly superior to AS!3...  Just had to point it out!!  hehe.  I'm convinced myself that the contrast of the Cassini yields an easier time focusing than Jupiter under most circumstances.  That's my story anyway.  I love the dew suggestion.  I have one of those already and never thought about controlling dew on the computer with it.  Thanks much.

#5 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:00 AM

Sorry for the confusion but I have AS!2 on my imaging computer ( dedicated for play) but AS!3 on our home box. Both Win 10 but old one is 32 bit and said I couldn’t run AS!3 so since I’m just learning it was no big deal. The boss has decreed that the home box is not to be “compromised” with my imaging but I sneak a file in occasionally.lol.gif  I’ve been authorized to look for a new, updated machine so peace and tranquility is within reach! 

This is the first time I’ve dealt with dew while observing in years - just had to try the UV cut filter!

As far as using the sharpening output from Autostakkert, there is also an unsharpened stack - other than processing time is there a downside to having both stacks? I like the unsharpened stack for controlling the image appearance but use the sharpened ones to compare the quality of various stack percentages. Maybe that’s not valid? I’ve noticed minor differences when examining them.

Thank!

Mike

• dcaponeii likes this

#6 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:41 AM

Nice, Mike. Looks like progress to me, too!

#7 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:40 PM

Sorry for the confusion but I have AS!2 on my imaging computer ( dedicated for play) but AS!3 on our home box. Both Win 10 but old one is 32 bit and said I couldn’t run AS!3 so since I’m just learning it was no big deal. The boss has decreed that the home box is not to be “compromised” with my imaging but I sneak a file in occasionally.lol.gif  I’ve been authorized to look for a new, updated machine so peace and tranquility is within reach! 

This is the first time I’ve dealt with dew while observing in years - just had to try the UV cut filter!

As far as using the sharpening output from Autostakkert, there is also an unsharpened stack - other than processing time is there a downside to having both stacks? I like the unsharpened stack for controlling the image appearance but use the sharpened ones to compare the quality of various stack percentages. Maybe that’s not valid? I’ve noticed minor differences when examining them.

Thank!

Mike

The additional processing time (if there is one) for the sharpened stack is negligible.  The majority of people work off the unsharpened stack, but if you also check 'sharpened' and set the raw mix to zero, you can sometimes get a very nice result if the signal to noise ratio is high enough and the sampling was just about right. There's no harm (other than disk space) to always producing both.  Your approach in this regard is just fine.

If I have a lot of consecutive videos, I process them all (in a batch) both sharpened and unsharpened, then use the sharpened ones to assess when seeing/focus was slightly better and go back to revisit only those ones.

#8 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:35 PM

Processed some different clips today from Dec5. Struggling with color balance between different monitors and trying to lighten the images a bit. Also trying to decide which is more pleasing to the eye but I have a ways to go. Fun to experiment. Not much detail difference except the Saturn doesn't have a red fringe at the ring edges - 15% stack vs 25% and 40% which both had the fringe (and were a few minutes later). Maybe focus - I don't know. I do usually refocus between captures as recommended. 

Mike

18_45_30_g6_ap33R625_12-5-22.jpg

19_08_24_g6_ap93_conv40R6_12-5-22RGB.jpg

19_17_35_g6_ap91Link25R6_12-5-22.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics