•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod options for 10micron GM1000

Equipment Mount Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago/Boston

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:35 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for some suggestions on a portable pier / tripod for the 10micron GM1000. I've ruled out the 10u Aries Tripod (too expensive) and the ATS tripod (long lead time).

What portable pier / tripod would you recommend for the GM1000 that --

1. doesn't require a custom-made adapter

2. doesn't break the bank

3. is more stable than the wooden Berlebach Plant

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Best,

Vincent

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:17 AM

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for.  People get the planet or the aries tripod. The Aries tripod is expensive; it's really nice.  

• EFT and psandelle like this

#3 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:30 AM

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for.  People get the planet or the aries tripod. The Aries tripod is expensive; it's really nice.  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. What about the Geoptik Hercules Tripod? It's in the GM1000 package but made of wood; is it more stable than the planet?

Thanks!

Vincent

#4 pmuller

pmuller

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:06 PM

Hey Vincent, I have the Geoptik Hercules, it is a great tripod if you are not going to go crazy on payload, here is mine with a Edge HD9.25, 0.7 reducer, Esatto 2", etc, I believe something around 30lbs of gear:
Edge 9.25 on Pool.jpg
+ the t-shirt to deal with a light leak I had on the system lol.gif 

Edit: I would say this tripod is the Italian equivalent of the Berlebach Planet, very similar.

The few times I have had problems with vibration have been when I am stupidlly "walking hard" close to it and the pavers of my bckyard vibrate or during a star party that people where walking around it and the concrete vibrated, here is a picture of that star party:
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 11.57.04 AM.jpg

It was the first Star Party of my kid who is also named Vincent! smile.gif 

PS - I got the the complete package and liked so much the cases that came with it that ended up buying 2 more of the same brand with B&H to carry my things

Edited by pmuller, 07 December 2022 - 12:08 PM.

• psandelle, Jose_Salcedo and wen_astroevo like this

#5 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Hubble

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:24 PM

Yes, the Aries is very nice - stable and surprisingly easy to handle. So much nicer than something cheaper like say, the Losmandy Folding HD.

I’m still not ready to go remote so I really should have gotten a pier. But after the pier is purchased I will keep the Aries.

• psandelle likes this

#6 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2022 - 01:44 PM

Hey Vincent, I have the Geoptik Hercules, it is a great tripod if you are not going to go crazy on payload, here is mine with a Edge HD9.25, 0.7 reducer, Esatto 2", etc, I believe something around 30lbs of gear:
attachicon.gifEdge 9.25 on Pool.jpg

Edit: I would say this tripod is the Italian equivalent of the Berlebach Planet, very similar.

The few times I have had problems with vibration have been when I am stupidlly "walking hard" close to it and the pavers of my bckyard vibrate or during a star party that people where walking around it and the concrete vibrated, here is a picture of that star party:
attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2022-12-07 at 11.57.04 AM.jpg

PS - I got the the complete package and liked so much the cases that came with it that ended up buying 2 more of the same brand with B&H to carry my things

Hi Philipp,

Thank you for sharing your insights. Your Vincent is getting into astrophotography really early!

It is a really beautiful setup! What pier extension are you using? I don't see it on Geoptik website.

Best,

Vincent

• Raginar likes this

#7 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2022 - 01:49 PM

Yes, the Aries is very nice - stable and surprisingly easy to handle. So much nicer than something cheaper like say, the Losmandy Folding HD.

I’m still not ready to go remote so I really should have gotten a pier. But after the pier is purchased I will keep the Aries.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm hoping to send the GM1000 to a remote site later 2023 so the tripod is kinda temporary; but I agree that cheapter ones might cause a headache. I might get the adapter for my ATS portable pier and use that, supposing ATS has it in stock..

Best,

Vincent

#8 pmuller

pmuller

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:59 PM

Hi Philipp,

Thank you for sharing your insights. Your Vincent is getting into astrophotography really early!

It is a really beautiful setup! What pier extension are you using? I don't see it on Geoptik website.

Best,

Vincent

The extension is the 10micron one: https://10micron.eu/...-for-gm1000-hps

Ed Thomas, Tolga, and others sell, but if you are in a hurry check with O'Telescope, FLO and Teleskope Service (that's were I ended up getting mine from because they had in stock). It is quite expensive but well machined.

• psandelle likes this

#9 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Hubble

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 07 December 2022 - 07:04 PM

And well-engineered too. Surprisingly light for its capacity. 

• Raginar likes this

#10 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:56 AM

attachicon.gifEdge 9.25 on Pool.jpg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2022-12-07 at 11.57.04 AM.jpg

I definitely got those two mixed up.  Either way, the Aries is a good investment.  Probably the best tripod I've owned.  

• psandelle and wen_astroevo like this

#11 psandelle

psandelle

Aurora

• Loc: West Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2022 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, if it's just temporary, go with the wooden tripod (and don't overload), but I concur: the Aries is the best tripod I've ever used, and I've had some dang fine custom ones that I really liked. And I finally got a mini-pier (this is my third 10Micron), and it's really well designed, so for anyone who needs it, I recommend that, too.

Paul

#12 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2022 - 01:09 PM

The extension is the 10micron one: https://10micron.eu/...-for-gm1000-hps

Ed Thomas, Tolga, and others sell, but if you are in a hurry check with O'Telescope, FLO and Teleskope Service (that's were I ended up getting mine from because they had in stock). It is quite expensive but well machined.

Got it. Thank you Philipp!

#13 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2022 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, if it's just temporary, go with the wooden tripod (and don't overload), but I concur: the Aries is the best tripod I've ever used, and I've had some dang fine custom ones that I really liked. And I finally got a mini-pier (this is my third 10Micron), and it's really well designed, so for anyone who needs it, I recommend that, too.

Paul

Thank you for the suggestion Paul.

Which mini-pier did you get? Is it from 10micron, like this -- https://www.10micron...lar-for-gm1000/ ?

Best,

Vincent

• psandelle likes this

#14 psandelle

psandelle

Aurora

• Loc: West Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:12 PM

Thank you for the suggestion Paul.

Which mini-pier did you get? Is it from 10micron, like this -- https://www.10micron...lar-for-gm1000/ ?

Best,

Vincent

Yeah, the 10Micron. Nicely thought out in how it attaches to the tripod; one can take it on and off very easily (even though I'm too lazy to do that), yet it remains snug. I never used one on my other two 10Microns and never had a problem, but I'm going fully automated when mobile, so I won't be looking during a meridian flip, so I got it...just in case.

Paul

• Raginar and wen_astroevo like this

#15 Mbenj2405

Mbenj2405

Vostok 1

• Loc: head Chezzetcook Nova Scotia Canada

Posted 08 December 2022 - 07:23 PM

I have to to try it out yet but a bought a ioptron tri-pier 360 for my GM1000hps. I did have to purchase a 0.625" 6160 8"x8" plate aluminum and drill and tap to mount it to the cem120 top and the 10u base but it's a great lightweight tripod that should work just fine. Being a pier hybrid gives it superior clearance at zenith compared to a normal tripod.

#16 Mbenj2405

Mbenj2405

Vostok 1

• Loc: head Chezzetcook Nova Scotia Canada

Posted 10 December 2022 - 07:57 AM

Here is an image of the plate attached to the 360.

https://live.staticf..._325079cfb3.jpg

• Raginar and wen_astroevo like this

#17 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2022 - 08:21 AM

Here is an image of the plate attached to the 360.

https://live.staticf..._325079cfb3.jpg

This looks great! Thank you for sharing!

• Mbenj2405 likes this

#18 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2022 - 08:22 AM

Yeah, the 10Micron. Nicely thought out in how it attaches to the tripod; one can take it on and off very easily (even though I'm too lazy to do that), yet it remains snug. I never used one on my other two 10Microns and never had a problem, but I'm going fully automated when mobile, so I won't be looking during a meridian flip, so I got it...just in case.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Got it. Thank you for the info!

Vincent

• psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Mount, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics