•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revolution imager r2... who has one...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Finger lakes area

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:49 AM

A friend of mine gave me his revolution imager setup R2 with reducer.. hes moving and gave his astro stuff to me .. 

I have not used it yet , may try it on my C8 then C11  eventually the C14 ..

To those that HAVE ONE,  how good is it , is it worth messing with .. i have a Canon dslr for astrophotography,  but live video is something im interested in .. 

And if possible will it drive a larger screen monitor without distortion .   

Lastly is there a better way without spending $$$...  

Dm me with your setup / recommendations.. i just want to try it maybe i will like it . 

Stevegeo 

#2 nic35

nic35

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 07 December 2022 - 09:17 AM

Lots of folks started with one, and then moved on.  Sometimes quickly.  I was one.

FWIW, it is not "real-time"  True, the camera puts out something like 30 frames per second, but depending on the  settings you use, that picture may not change for up to 30 seconds.  And if you want more than 30 seconds exposure you need to hook up a pc and stack the images.

The sensor is very small by today's standards - 720x576 pixels, and 4.6mm on the diagonal.  Putting

your scopes on target will be frustrating.

You achieve the same result using you DSLR and an application like Deep Sky Stacker, or Astrotortilla - which is simply a front end for Deep Sky Stacker. Both are freeware.  Others, like Sharpcap can monitor a file folder in real time and stack images as they come in.

But what have you got to lose by firing up the RI system some cloudy night to get a feel as to how it works, And then take it out in the dark. decide if you want to.

j

• Stevegeo likes this

#3 JWP2

JWP2

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester Hills, Mi

Posted 07 December 2022 - 09:07 PM

Steve,

I use the R2 on my SE-8 for two purposes.   Because the video output is instantaneous, it is a nice outreach accessory; and I also enjoy it for my personal use.     In both cases it allows me to instantaneously observe DSO's (in color); for my personal benefit, it adds satisfaction to also having observed that same object in the eyepiece.   

The video output is analog, and, yes, there is some "upgrade" to a higher quality display.  For myself or for small groups I display the output on a 12" battery powered camper's HDMI-TV.  For larger audiences I connect the output to our club's LED projector for a large screen view.   (Projecting Saturn onto a screen is a definite crowd pleaser as it fills the screen!)   In my experience, the quality of the hdmi TV benefits the image; the club's LED projector is not HDMI and it is not as crisp of an image.  (You could use the 7" monitor that comes with the kit, but the experience is less satisfying.)  

The R2 does not require a computer to operate; it is, as advertised, an enhancement to your eyepiece experience, particularly if you live in less than "bortle heaven", allowing you to see things in a way that you could not see them in an eyepiece.   

The R2 is not regarded as an astrophotography camera nor as a high-end EAA solution, though some users send the output to a video grabber on a USB port of their computer and do create some good images afterwards with processing.    (There is also a 3" DVR accessory available from OC Telescopes that captures the video output--at lower resolution--for capturing the output without a computer.)   

Since you seem to be an accomplished DSLR user, you will not find the resolution from the R2 to be equal to your other accomplishments.   However, if any of its strong points benefit you, consider trying it.   If you want to produce higher-end images, this is not your best option; you will instead benefit from one of the new digital cameras that only work with a laptop and software.   (Be sure to get help in choosing a camera that is compatible with your scope.)

As nic35 suggested, it can't hurt try to play around with one!   If you were to invest any $$ in the solution, I would recommend the $13.00 extension cable as it removes all but one small cable from the back of the scope.   Hope this was helpful.

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics