•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars: Oxia Disappears!

Planet
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mohawk195

mohawk195

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mendon New York

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:50 AM

thumbnail_Mars-2012-03-25-rgb-korr-5-final-ps-2.jpeg 2022-11-23 Martin Optimized.png

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to point out some noticeable changes on the surface of Mars that can be seen and imaged this opposition. To date, I have not seen any online descriptions of this event. (Special thanks to my friend Matin Gutekunst for notifying me!)

Prior to 2020, a bright gap existed between Mare Acidalium and Magaritfer Sinus; this is referred to as Oxia. Images taken in 2022 capture Oxia as having nearly the same brightness as Magaritfer Sinus. The same can be observed for the region South of Sinus Sabaeus called Regio Decaloins. At this time, this region has changed to dark brown color.

The following images show this phenomena very clearly:

1) an image from March 25, 2012 which was taken by Martin Gutekunst using a 24-inch Cassegrain (stopped down), and 

2) an image I took on November 23, 2022 using a 500mm aperture f15.6 OTA and one of Martin's ADCs (ADC Compact).

Mars had a global sandstorm in 2018 and it seems afterward, the above albedo changes occurred. These changes can also be seen 2020 images of Damian Peach. Mars experts - please add your thoughts and comments! 

Regards,

Gregory Terrance

www.solar-system-imaging.com

Edited by mohawk195, 07 December 2022 - 08:53 AM.

• Kenny V., Pete Gorczynski, eros312 and 5 others like this

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 07 December 2022 - 09:40 AM

Can you perhaps provide a reference to an annotated map which labels these features?

#3 mohawk195

mohawk195

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:52 AM

thumbnail_Mars-Gregory_optimized-beschr-c.png

Can you perhaps provide a reference to an annotated map which labels these features?

Hello - my friend Martin sent the following marked up image which points out some of the features you asked about.

• RedLionNJ likes this

#4 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:24 PM

Some of these changes appears to be seasonal. Earlier images in both 2020 and 2022 show a much lighter Regio Degalions "gap", while Oxia looked quite different at opposition 2020 than it does now, e.g., this image from Darryl:

https://momilika.net...atedDiskMap.png

• RedLionNJ, roelb and mohawk195 like this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 December 2022 - 07:10 PM

Ray's pointed to one image of ours Gregory, and here's another http://momilika.net/...mAT150pcFIN.png (you can click further on the images btw) but if you go through all of our Mars images stretching back to 2010 you will see quite a lot of changes to the albedo markings in that & just about every other region. (link to our website in my signature at foot of the post btw)

It's a favourite vista for me & Pattie to image btw - the Oxus/Indus extension (that hitherto forked "prominence" extending down) was quite elongated & meandering in earlier apparitions, but the area is quite different nowadays & less distinct.

JeffB1 might have a more experienced appraisal of the changes in Martian surface features over a much greater duration!

• KiwiRay likes this

#6 mohawk195

mohawk195

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2022 - 07:22 PM

Ray's pointed to one image of ours Gregory, and here's another http://momilika.net/...mAT150pcFIN.png (you can click further on the images btw) but if you go through all of our Mars images stretching back to 2010 you will see quite a lot of changes to the albedo markings in that & just about every other region. (link to our website in my signature at foot of the post btw)

It's a favourite vista for me & Pattie to image btw - the Oxus/Indus extension (that hitherto forked "prominence" extending down) was quite elongated & meandering in earlier apparitions, but the area is quite different nowadays & less distinct.

JeffB1 might have a more experienced appraisal of the changes in Martian surface features over a much greater duration!

Thank you for the past images and information. Its great to get some perspective on this. 

Greg

#7 BillHarris

BillHarris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:39 PM

HiRise, the camera on the MRO Mars orbiter, has been following the Oxia region for some time. Here is a search of Hirise images in the keyword "oxia".

https://www.uahirise...t=Search&page=1

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics