•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is Mars In focus after stacking?

Astrophotography Equipment Imaging Planet Software
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aman Dude

Aman Dude

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: U.S.A.

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:22 PM

I stacked around 500 of my 95000 frames I took of mars in AutoStackkert with no registax yet, and it looks blurry (even with a little registax unless a sharpen a lot but then there is noise). Is this the Atmospheric Seeing or is it out of focus? Thanks!

Unsharpened:

marsforum.jpg

Edited by Aman Dude, 08 December 2022 - 08:22 PM.

• RodgerDodger008 likes this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:25 PM

Try stacking 5000, 7500 and 10000 frames, then when you sharpen in Registax the noise will be a lot lower. 500 is not nearly enough.

What does the AS!3 graph look like?

Andrew

• Aman Dude likes this

#3 Aman Dude

Aman Dude

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: U.S.A.

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:38 PM

Try stacking 5000, 7500 and 10000 frames, then when you sharpen in Registax the noise will be a lot lower. 500 is not nearly enough.

What does the AS!3 graph look like?

Andrew

Here is the graph:

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2022-12-08 203911.png

• TeamHawkins likes this

#4 Peter L.

Peter L.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:45 PM

That's what most of my graphs look like...and my raw stacks for that matter too. I'd stack 10%, which will be ~9500 frames. You'll be able to tweak the wavelets pretty well with that number of frames without having the noise overtake you.

Another trick I use is to turn the "Sharpened" option On. I never use those images, but they give you a quick indication of whether you've got something worth working on or not. I also use them to identify my best 5 or 6 captures, and then I focus all of my manual work on those vs. all of them.

Good luck.

Edited by Peter L., 08 December 2022 - 08:48 PM.

• TeamHawkins, dcaponeii and Aman Dude like this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:02 PM

...more frames, but even in this image Elysium Mons is evident! waytogo.gif

• Aman Dude likes this

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 09 December 2022 - 08:11 AM

Definitely a boatload more frames. Try several thousand, indicated as percentages (10%, 30%, 50%).

Then when it comes to alignment points, for such a small Mars you may be better off with just a single AP, maybe one and a half times the planet's diameter. When you sharpen what you have, a lot of the artifacts you have appear to be AP-related.  So try it with just a single AP centered on Mars. If that doesn't pan out, try it with a small number (say, a dozen) but enable multi-scale and experiment with enabling/disabling 'near the edges' as Mars' limb is sharp all the way around right now.

• TeamHawkins and Aman Dude like this

#7 TeamHawkins

TeamHawkins

Messenger

Posted 09 December 2022 - 07:21 PM

I stacked around 500 of my 95000 frames I took of mars in AutoStackkert with no registax yet, and it looks blurry (even with a little registax unless a sharpen a lot but then there is noise). Is this the Atmospheric Seeing or is it out of focus? Thanks!

Unsharpened:

attachicon.gifmarsforum.jpg

How long of an avi. did you take? I've been struggling on Mars for a few weeks myself and haven't quite nailed it. I get tons of noise when I get to Registax as well. 

#8 Borodog

Borodog

Cosmos

Posted 09 December 2022 - 07:45 PM

500/95,000 frames stacked is much too low.

You can start with clicking Manual under reference frame after analyzing, see what the number is, and stack that.
  • RodgerDodger008 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Imaging, Planet, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics