•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars first week in December from Canberra and Meteoblues unusual better seeing window!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Foc

Foc

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:41 AM

In contrast the first week of December somewhat thinned the clouds here and let me capture Mars on a number of nights around its closest approach in 2022.  And on 6 December, looking at Meteoblue,  I was attracted by the predicted combination of really terrible seeing indices in red, thin cloud and high jet stream set to arise at the very period I would like to image.

Sure enough, when I did foolishly image, this window of 6 December produced the pick of my runty Mars crop!  In comparison the night of the 8th with the interesting Jupiter moon transits (but no Mars Moon occultation in Australia) started with horrid seeing as can be seen from the first image on the left. Earlier on the 3rd was not bad either but then only for a very short window. The 6th was the best so far for me in Canberra, even detected both moons of Mars that night for the first time this year. Yay!   Times given with the images are Universal Time.  Got a bit carried away on Dec 6 with almost the in focus detail on offer and generally stable shaped planet and so without changing the barlow for the difference in pixel size, swapped in my new non-cooled 533mm camera (intended for solar) and tried out a blue filter image to show clouds and a IR filter bypass for contrast.  Results not too bad!

Still just missing out on my two favorite regions of Tharsis (apart from being able to view a higher altitude 31 degrees image from Darryls recent data download made available on his recent post) and the classic Hellas-Syrtis Major.  Hellas is just starting to come into view here a bit after it gets dark but the weather seems to have moved again to cloud and rain.

Attached Thumbnails

• Versus Reality 2022-12-07 000542.jpg
  • Mars a week from opposition.jpg

• sfugardi, John Boudreau, eros312 and 13 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:42 AM

The 3rd December image looks quite reasonable Ross & I'd even venture to suggest a fair bit more could be eked out of it - but overall decent low Mars images regardless! waytogo.gif

• Foc likes this

#3 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:58 PM

Good effort Ross. It’s interesting how those MB numbers jump around. Sometimes I think one or more of the components that make up these indices can vary by critical amounts thus changing the indices.
  • Foc likes this

#4 Foc

Foc

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouraging likes.   Ah Darryl, I could not make 3 December Mars look too good or it would have spoiled my thesis!   Paul, good to hear from you over in Canada.  To me it seems that seeing can be good and crappy in different ways at the same time, sometimes you get better contrast or steadier images but still mixed with factors that seriously degrade the image but this year imaging opportunities have not been frequent enough for me to be fussy.

And here is my composite of Mars with Phobos and Deimos on 6 December which should help pad out this years astrobook.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2022-12-06-1518_7-U-L-Mars_lapl6_ap77a 585mc Antares to pair w mars moons image.jpg

• eros312, Mike Spooner, Lepton3 and 3 others like this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:32 PM

<"To me it seems that seeing can be good and crappy in different ways at the same time, sometimes you get better contrast or steadier images but still mixed with factors that seriously degrade the image">

A good summary of what seeing is Ross! 

• Foc, dcaponeii and Kiwi Paul like this

#6 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 09 December 2022 - 07:08 PM

December 6 IR is the pick of the bunch for me. I agree with Paul - a good effort under difficult conditions.

• Foc likes this

#7 Ashman

Ashman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra, Australia

Posted 09 December 2022 - 11:34 PM

Nice images Ross given the conditions!!

• Foc likes this

#8 Foc

Foc

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2022 - 07:05 PM

Two 585 colors, one IR742 image from me and a ringer from Darryl.

8 December for my two images and Mars is starting to slip under 17 arc seconds (though 16.96 is pretty close..I would call that 17) and shooting through cloud and imaging a shape changing outline,  I have achieved my goal of catching Syrtis Major and at least the edge of Hellas!

Edit:  However my goal of getting more detailed view of Tharsis before Mars gets too small looks doubtful.

Darryl (Kokatha Man) made available one of his As!3 stacks from 6 December covering Tharsis for downloading.  I had a quick go and even riding on a AS!3 processed C14 capture from the master, in this attempt I found I did not process it well enough to show a lot of detail in Tharsis area.  Mike Spooner has also tried and posted it his version along side his own work and he was more successful than I in revealing the inherent detail.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2022-12-10-1212_2-U-L-Mars_lapl6_ap133a Syrtis Major 8pc stk C11 Antares 585mc.jpg
  • 2022-12-10-1311_0-U-L-Mars_lapl6_ap107a  pos better than 8 Dec start Margarifum.jpg
  • 2022-12-10-1224_4-U-IR-Mars_lapl6_ap107a 742 IR bypass Syrtis Major.png
  • Darryl msg-87685-0-77407000-1670317400 rough Reg 6 go.jpg

Edited by Foc, 11 December 2022 - 02:21 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics